In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trimmers - discussion/pics

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by RCBS, Apr 25, 2023.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'm convinced that some (most) of these diaphragm carbs are female...cuz they sure are finicky sometimes!!

morningwood, RCBS, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  2. Dok440

Dok440

It's that time of the year. I'm getting trimmer time in after work and when I can on the weekends. Last year I used the Husky 335, this year it is the Echo 3020. More power and a wider power band because after all the rain the weeds are 4' tall and matted thick at the bottom. It feels good to get a little done each day.

One issue I am having is the trimmer line binding up inside the head. It has never been an issue until this year. Tried three different lines and they all do it. The Echo is the newer style where you feed the line through the head then turn the head to wind the line up. Works great when it works but I'm doing something wrong. Any tips?

Ohio, brenndatomu, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

What line are you using? We have 2 of the Echo heads and never had that problem.
    We have used regular round string and Echo Black Diamond, really like that string

brenndatomu, RCBS and John D like this.
  4. John D

John D

If the grass is that thick/tall could you possibly put a grass blade on to at least use for your first cutting

brenndatomu, T.Jeff Veal and RCBS like this.
  5. RCBS

RCBS

That cutter head is no joke weight wise and the old girl spins it up real well for only being 25cc. I ran it for a while as a trimmer with a nylon 3 blade setup that I really liked. I have too much fencing and brick stone trimming for them...kept tearing them up too often and went back to string. Needed to wipe out some saplings so went on an interweb journey to find a good cutter. Ended up with that Australian made unit and have been pleased. I bought it before the ccp started to flood the market with 'unsafe' cutting devices as the USA had given up on anything of what I consider to be aggressive (remember the heads with bits of saw chain mounted to them? lol). Almost bought one of the circle blades with a chain around them but decided to get the Brush Destructor instead.

I think I've put new rubber in it about 3 times now. It's never needed anything else. Their grey stuff was mostly before limiter caps and muffler baffles. Hope to pick up a CS5000 at some point but most are pretty beat up. I like the aesthetic and the grey stuff I own has been good to me.

6. RCBS

RCBS

This makes me laugh a bit as I recently told my boss to buy T-35 heads when he asked what I recommend. He was surprised to find that yes, you gotta wind them by hand. The horror! 2 whole minutes to put string on! :rofl: :lol:

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

My Stihl combi same unit put a 10 inch cross cut saw blade on it; takes 4 inch saplings down faster and easier than a saw!

learned as a teenager; farmers fields loose 12 to 18 inches a year as trees grow to sun. Had a shindawa branded toro with that blade and chain saw attachment. Could make decent money pushing fields back and cutting up tree that fell into field.
    Bonuses were bonfires and firewood

Last edited: May 10, 2024
  8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I've run one of the Beaver type blades on it before. Good cut down machine

brenndatomu and John D like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Snagged a Ryobi BC30 (Brushcutter 30) off FBMP for $20 the other day...guy had the carb all dorked up, went through it, replaced the fuel lines (wrong size on it!) and ripped the limiter caps off, made some tweaks and off we go...runs pretty good! Has a lot more power than my old Weedeater Featherlight, but its much heavier too!(duh!) What I didn't realize when I bought it is it has the "Expand it" system and there are about 6-8 different heads/tools can be had for it (line trimmer, brush cutter, pole saw, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, rototiller, edger, snowbroom) think Ima keep an eye out for someone selling some of this stuff. It appears that many different brands use this same system (news to me) so I should be able to pick up some accessories cheap if patient.
    [​IMG]

10. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I have that same unit. I payed $11 for it without a blade. Nephew bought a blade and we share it. It is a bit heavy but it will cut 1-1.5" saplings with a sharp blade.

11. John D

John D

Nice and it is better than you thought

12. Ohio

Ohio

My stihl would have chewed right through this but it only took me a minute or two to untangle this lovely mess. IMG_1877.jpeg

Chvymn99, RCBS, JD Guy and 6 others like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I have a slight burn on the bottom of my arm after running this lil monster for an hour or so today...it needs some sort of heat shield on the top of the engine...that bugger gets hot after a while!

RCBS, eatonpcat, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  14. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I cant tolerate running mine that long. Lol.

RCBS, eatonpcat, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  15. RCBS

RCBS

Used the 2601 a bit this weekend. Performed beautifully. Needed to cut back a bunch of spice bush along some dirtbike trails. Remain extremely satisfied with the Brush Destroyer cutter head. You can buy a round blade cheap these days but it only takes one rock to ruin. The Brush Destroyer does not care about encounters with rocks or whatever.

brenndatomu, Eggshooterist and John D like this.
  16. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I'm on team orange. I have an edger attachment as well. Ran about 2.5 tanks through it over the weekend.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Chvymn99, eatonpcat, John D and 3 others like this.
  17. morningwood

morningwood

Friend and I rebuilt the carb on this POS 2-stroke Troy Built tiller that I have, and it was running great. Left regular pump gas ( should have bought ethanol free ) for a few weeks and now the POS won't start. Would leaving regular 87 octane pump gas with Stihl 2-stroke mix in it for that short amount of time cause that kind of issue ?

I know this isn't weed eater related, but there was a post or two about non-running weed eaters. I didn't think it I should start a thread about it since I'm sure the topic has been beaten to death already.

John D, brenndatomu and RCBS like this.
  18. RCBS

RCBS

Check fuel for water (might be hiding in the can used to fill the unit). 2-cycle mix has stabilizer built in...no way it went stale in two weeks unless it got superheated.

John D and morningwood like this.
  19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Seen it before...

John D and morningwood like this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

All the Stihl oil does?

John D, morningwood and RCBS like this.