In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trimmers - discussion/pics

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by RCBS, Apr 25, 2023.

1. John D

John D

If you are using it around the house and in frequently then battery is probably your best bet
    I would do a lot of research and see what people’s reviews are about the product
    Don’t forget to look at other power tools also

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Yep, doing a bit of research. There's a few brands out there.

John D and brenndatomu like this.
  3. RCBS

RCBS

Need to do some weedeating.

Checking weather.

Maybe not.

:rofl: :lol::whistle:

Dok440, John D, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  4. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Miserable hot here.

Dok440, John D, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  5. RCBS

RCBS

Our peak heat is coming Friday. I do hafta climb onto the mower this evening if it don't thunderstorm.

John D and Horkn like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

We've had a lil rain around every day this week so far...a lil spotty though...we had a nice .65" downpour here mid day Monday, then nothing yesterday, but then east of here got a nice lil downpour in the evening. We needed it, things were getting dry...corn was starting to curl, even before the heat set in on Monday.

John D, Ohio and RCBS like this.
  7. morningwood

morningwood

Haven't had a drop here in maybe a week to five days. Got to love pop up rain storms....

brenndatomu and John D like this.
  8. Ohio

Ohio

Ran a tank through the brush cutter and the strimmer this morning. It’s too hot but the deer trails needed beaten back.

9. Horkn

Horkn

My company had off for Juneteenth today. Nice to get paid, to be off, so we went golfing. It was hot, but it could've been worse. Yesterday and Monday were stupid hot. So today's just hot 87 feels like 92° want that bad. I played pretty well today, getting better at a bit on my swing.

I bought gas for the push weed Wacker, garden tractor, and the toro push mower but I wasn't going to attempt to trim or mow at all after sweating all day.

Our local ace hardware has the toro electric weed wacker on sale, but none on hand, so I would have to go to another store 15 miles out of my way in order to see/ handle the toro in person.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    eatonpcat, brenndatomu and John D like this.
  10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Juist for the record...3 pulls is too much line for my trimmer! Got stuck in the head so many times that I almost threw the trimmer into the woods!!
    At first i thought it was the new line, but once I got the correct amount it ran through it nicely

20240615_095325.jpg

11. RCBS

RCBS

I have found that Husqvarna is optimistic on the amount of line that can be put on their heads. Back off length just a bit and they usually are flawless.

My new bevel head came yesterday. Will get that put on today. Forgot my fancy grease at home though...hopefully greased from factory. Quick look around while mowing last night tells me I am falling behind again. Not going to get anxious about it until after the heat wave blows through.

12. Ohio

Ohio

That’s a whole lot of string you got there. I bought some echo black diamond last year 253’ last year and I’m 3/4 the way through it. I don’t know how long that spool is but it’d last me a long long time. Do you ever soak it since you have so much of it?

13. RCBS

RCBS

Aww yeah. Nice and smooth again. 2014 edition back in action. Forgot to mark shaft for index and had to eyeball it, Note: bevel assembly says 'Japan' right on it. OEM Bonus! :yes: They do come with grease in them.

Screenshot_20240620-085726.png

Ohio, John D, Barcroftb and 3 others like this.
  14. RCBS

RCBS

If that's a speed feed 400 head, capacity is listed at 20' of .095.

15. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Never have soaked, but I may give it a try.

Never had a problem with 20 feet until I bought this line..Usually use the black Echo line that is kind of braided and never had an issue.

16. JD Guy

JD Guy

Did some extensive and badly needed weed whacking yesterday, mid 90’s and very humid. I have always had an issue with either not getting my trimmer head full or over full because well….i must be stupid :rofl: :lol:. So a big thank you to whoever posted the three lengths of arms stretched out. Worked out perfectly and didn’t have to cut off a foot or two,that was left over. BAM!!

17. Horkn

Horkn

We'll the ace hardware deal on the toro 60v flex force ended Wednesday, and I was going to buy it today. So now I'm rethinking the options. It was 40 bucks off, now just under 200.

The Atlas brand 80v from harbor freight gets great reviews. The biggest issue is the total cost, for a harbor freight brand. The battery alone is 130 bucks. The charger is 50 and the trimmer tools is 70. The funny thing is that components on the Atlas are exactly the same as other great known brands. The feeder head it's literally the same as other brands, made by the same supplier. There's other components in the Atlas that are quality. People typically associate harbor freight with cheap tools that will last just long enough. That stereotype is going away with many of the tools they make.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    Dok440 and John D like this.
  18. John D

John D

I think harbor freight use to be cheap but I believe they have stepped up there game
    Me personally wouldn’t buy there tools for business/commercial work but a lot of people do and have good luck

Horkn and Eggshooterist like this.
  19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'd buy something used off CL or Marketplace before spending name brand money on HF, but that's just me...

Horkn and Eggshooterist like this.
  20. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Same here.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.