In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tree climbing for work or play

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by J. Dirt, Nov 25, 2017.

1. AJtree88

AJtree88

6EC946B2-7EE1-4B8E-98A9-1366D80A772C.jpeg I was a little curious how a Zigzag worked with a snowy rope, but it worked fine. I did have a little ice build up on the bottom roller, but no ill effects. I usually don’t bother clipping the end of my rope into the zigzag as that anchor point has a rubber bushing and it’s a pain clipping and unclipping the biner.

2. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

What saddle you running?

3. AJtree88

AJtree88

I’m using a petzl sequoia, and I love it. Lightweight and comfy.

4. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I gotta say I'm loving my new 2019 ZZ with the built-in swivel, also got one of those Zillon positioning lanyards and it's a gamechanger too! I'll be buying another one of those after Christmas!

5. Scotty Overkill

Just be careful because the way you have it hooked up in the pic might put a different strain on the ZZ link assembly......I'm not saying that for certain, I just notice that the ZZ doesn't hold its position correctly when you don't either have the head end of the rope or a Rope Wrench or Chicane hooked into that top point. It pulls the ZZ at an angle.

6. Scotty Overkill

We've been doing lots of climbing all summer and fall, however had to take the past several weeks off as I injured my ulnar nerve (funnybone) when I banged my right elbow into the edge of my chipper feed tray. WOW, that was some unbelievable pain.....worse than my fractured wrist last summer! It's still a bit sore but I'm ready to start climbing again this week.

I have done several smaller jobs with my limited right arm usage the past few weeks, including these tall locusts that uprooted from high winds on Thanksgiving Eve and were threatening the lady's house. Climbed and rigged a total of 4 that day.

20191130_111343.jpg

IMG_133610011.jpg

IMG95133711.jpg

I still gotta go up and get that firewood, planning on that tomorrow afternoon. There's a heaping trailer load of nice black locust there. No climbing pics that day, too busy.....

7. fuelrod

fuelrod

Yeah, who the **** named it the funny bone :eek:
    Scotty you climbed those leaners ?

8. Scotty Overkill

I rigged them off a big tree behind them first, and pulled around 6' of lean out of them before going up. It was a sketchy job, but I had them tied off correctly with snatch blocks. I wish I'd have taken some pics and video, just didn't have the time. There was an impending ice storm forecasted for our area, wanted to get them on the ground before it hit.

It ended up being all rain anyway!!

9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Metal sucks but most residential removals have something and as to a 192t-193t saws i never hear much good about them most run like crap and a lot come with the 043 drive link chain and are prone to throwing the chain with the 14 or 16 inch bars that come with them we had one at the township I work at had so much trouble with it it sits on shelf and we bought a 200t

10. AJtree88

AJtree88

Ya, I keep an eye on that, but so far I haven’t noticed any adverse effects from running it as I have. I don’t have the it loaded/tight in the picture, just my flip line is tight. Kinda nice sharing some of the load on a second caribiner into the rope bridge versus just one attachment point to the saddle as well.

I did recently purchase a smaller diameter biner and was going to give it a try again regardless.

11. chipper1

chipper1

Never heard of all those problems with a 192 or 3, I've owned many. The most common problem is they get the screen in the carb plugged up. Do a muffler mod and advance the timing and they run very well for their weight.
    I just sold one a couple weeks ago that I was keeping around for myself, hope I can get by with the two 200t's and the 2511, oh I hardly ever climb lol.

Barcroftb, blacksmith and J. Dirt like this.
  12. chipper1

chipper1

That's what they make skidding winches for Scotty, climbers will climb :thumbs:.
    Looks like some nice wood and easy to split too, hope you got it.
    Hows the arm doing. Did you break the water sack in there :eek:, I did that once, my arm looked like it was attached to a 350lb guy, then the next day it turned blue and green and yellow o_O. I told my boss about it right after I did it, he says, whatever you do don't pop it :picard:.
    Hope you guys had a great Christmas/new yrs.

Barcroftb, blacksmith and J. Dirt like this.
  13. AJtree88

AJtree88

07ADB03C-4FBC-436F-A8A6-91F9C58ABD25.jpeg 71C20678-1750-4921-B0EC-231801D048F9.jpeg 0CBB1AD4-72A1-43F5-9EA4-168F45FABCF3.jpeg Storm damage this week. Rigged that maple off the shed using a red maple behind it as an anchor and then fed it into the chipper with the winch. Fallen pine did some damage to this house. Stay safe guys.

14. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

I see pleanty of safe TIPs in the trees around the learners. I totally would have climbed them. No problemo. Glad to hear your on the mend Scott:yes:

15. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Couple great tips for you zigzagers:

16. chipper1

chipper1

Good stuff Brad, I missed that one.
    You still rocking the bulldog.
    What was that throw line reel we used at Dennis' place.

17. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Yep I like the bulldog bone so much I bought another. So now when I see the need I can run tandem single rope systems. I still use that throw line real I had at Dennis' and I really dig it. Here's the reel:

chipper1, J. Dirt, blacksmith and 3 others like this.
  18. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Scotty Overkill I see some of your Facebook pics from today and I’m curious what saddle your climbing in? It’s lime green so I’m curious notch or buckingham? And how do you like it?!

By the way nice work as always!!

19. Scotty Overkill

Thanks buddy! It's a Notch Sentinel, I like it a lot!

20. Scotty Overkill

Yes sir I did, I was tied off in another tree....