In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Transfer switch for portable generator.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by shack, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Blstr88

Blstr88

Too bad you weren't a bit closer to New Hampshire, I just recently pulled a switch out that was installed when we bought the house. I had an automatic Generac installed and they installed an auto transfer switch with that, so the switch that was installed was just taking up space in my utility room.

It was pretty basic, power came from the meter to this switch, then through to my panel. If the power was lost, the switch would swap to the alternate feed (automatically), and when powers restored it swaps back over to utility power.

The generator wasn't automatic...the switch had a long extension cord coming out of it coiled up on the wall next to it that you would run out through the garage or whatever and plug into your generator, then start the generator and it would power your panel. I assume maybe you'd just select which circuits you want to power based on how much your genny can handle?

Anyway, the switch, extension cord and generator are all taking up space in my garage...Im planning to take some good pictures nad put them up on craigslist for cheap, just want it gone.

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  2. BCB

BCB

CE222C8B-7187-4FD3-A27F-BE4945F2E752.jpeg

Here’s my set up. It runs just about everything even though it’s a smaller switch. I run a long generator cord from the generator outside to the outlet. The panel is in the garage. Eventually I want to run wire and move the plug about 20 feet from where it is.

3. Highbeam

Highbeam

I replaced my whole zinsco panel with a new 200 amp Siemens one that had an interlock built in but you can add an interlock kit to most panels for very little money.

30 amp generator inlet breaker, 10 gauge wire, to a remote male plug. You can use every bit of that 30 amps which is 7200 watts. You don’t want to know how underrated the wire is from the transformer to your meter! On the feed side of a panel the rules are different. For example, add up all your breaker ratings and you certainly exceed the main breaker capacity.

The drawbacks are some minor thinking is involved to shut off breakers for automatic large loads like the hot tub and electric water heater. I think those are my only two plus flipping the actual interlock. Then you plug in the genset and everything works like normal. To check if the power is back on you can look at your neighbors house or just flip the interlock back and see if the lights work.

I like the ability to walk into any room and turn the lights on. Oh and I use a 3000 watt inverter genset. Same one I use for the rv air conditioning. These things are quiet, sip fuel, and make cleaner power than the utility.

In your shoes I would have two generators. One for full time use and then another big honking one for running the well pump and the water heater. Or if you can skip the water heater, put a separate little transfer switch or plug on the well and intermittently use a big cheap genset for the well. If we need hot water I fire up the gas rv water heater.

You can run a larger than normal generator inlet circuit to match some monster generator but if that’s your plan I would just look at the large full house transfer switch boxes near the meter and plan on being your own power company.

Finally. Your little 4000 watt genset only puts out 2000 watts on each leg. This means that you want your breaker stacks to evenly load both legs.

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  4. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I have a manual transfer setup that was in the house when I bought it. Power comes into the main panel, then feeds to a sub panel right next to it. The main switch on the sub is the interlock I think. I flip that and connect the 5K portable to the 30 amp plug outside behind the panel and it powers my well, microwave, boiler, and some lights.

I really need to buy a quieter generator with a key start, but for the once a year or so I need it, its hard to justify. Though, my wife calling me spitting fire when she hurt herself trying to start it two years ago when I was on a business trip is a good reason.

brenndatomu and Chvymn99 like this.
  5. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

spitting fire:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

6. bigfrank

bigfrank

Here is my setup. Real simple. Power comes in from the mail breakers on commercial power, into my switchbox, and out to my house breaker box. Commercial power is with the switch up, all off i the middle, and generator power is down. That was there can never be feedback to the commercial power grid.

The generator is one I just got that has more power than my other generator, has electric start and is dual fuel. We will run it off propane mostly so when it sits, it won't have old fuel sitting in it. Got a smokin deal on it. Bought it with 10 hours on it for $500. They are right at $1000 new. 20190907_152429.jpg 20190826_104654.jpg

Chvymn99 and brenndatomu like this.