In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trailer decisions. Open utility vs dump

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Oct 21, 2020.

1. jo191145

jo191145

I’ve never seen that info available. Not saying it isn’t just never seen it.
    Gotta say my Cam 10 footer has never complained about any weight I’ve had in there while dumping. I can imagine as the trailer gets longer the mechanics increase.

2. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

CAM Superline and Suretrac are now owned by the same company, Novae Corp. Both brands seem to be top rate.

3. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I had a 1500 for years and a small harbor freight trailer. You guys know i loaded that 1500 real heavy. My climbing buddy did tree removal for a while with a 1500 and a utility trailer. He just got a 2500 and a dump trailer and its night and day. I do firewood and scrounge all my wood. I have loaded/unloaded utilities trailers with logs/cordwood and brush and it sucks. I just got rid of my 1500 and got a 2500 and cant believe the difference, next is get rid of the utility trailer and get a dump trailer for sure.

4. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Where are you in Massachusetts

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

6. farmer steve

farmer steve

I bought my dump trailer with the thought of using it to deliver firewood. Just didn't work out to get into most customers spots. The wood doesn't come out in a nice consolidated pile but a long drawn out one. A deckover type might be better. If you are looking at anything over 10K you need a big truck to pull it safely.

7. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Dump trailer and heavier truxk or you'll kick yourself later

8. Casper

Casper

Time is money in business. Productivity is the difference between just getting by and thriving. Shoveling out chips and hand tossing chunks isn't about being lazy or "soft", it's about being able to schedule AND complete two or three jobs in a day compared to taking two days to do one job. Efficiency also allows you to be more competitive, thus being able to land more gigs.

The other hazard is "sunk cost falicy". There is a chance that if you buy something to just get by, you would continue to use it and not upgrade to something more efficient just because you already paid for the less efficient tool.

Specialized equipment and tools cost more upfront but make your life and any employee's lives, not suck and improves morale.

9. welder403

welder403

I dont know what your skill level is but i built my trailer....its way cheaper and I noticed the trailer you are looking at are painted, you might want to consider galvanising it if you decided to build because first of all its cheaper( I paid about 0.25 cents a pound) and it will not rust and last 100 years. and you can find decent hydrolics on the internet to make your own dumper if youd like. I'm sure there is alot of plans on the internet to make a trailer. I built mine for about $2200 canadian.

good luck!

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

How long ago was this? That sounds like half of what the metal would cost now...I know several guys that bought new recently because building it themselves wasn't going to save much money...

amateur cutter and Chvymn99 like this.
  11. AZJustin

AZJustin

A scissor lift dump system will always be able to dump what it's rated for and +, as long as the battery and ram are good. This is the gold standard for lift systems on dump trailers.

A double ram lift (no scissor) will be ok for most loads as long as it's evenly distributed throughout the bed and not overloaded.

A single center ram, unless it's grossly overrated, will aggravate you to no end if you load the trailer to it's max GVW at any time.

I have zero idea what the physics are for these designs, but I do know that the above is truth for most people that use their dump trailer to it's potential. The people that load 10 yards of horse compost at 1200 lbs will disagree.

In AZ you can't buy the steel for the price on a new trailer at the dealer. Texas and LA are a little different, but when you factor in the amount of welds and time to stick it all together, you quickly approach a new trailer that someone else built.

If you're running a business you can deduct your expenses, but you can't deduct your time. Time is money!

12. jo191145

jo191145

I’ve gone well over GVW several times with my single ram trailer and it always works fine. I certainly was worried about that when I bought it. Never had much respect for dump trailers. Thought they were minimally built toys.

13. welder403

welder403

maybe 2 years ago, 3 years at the most. I am also a welder by trade and own a welding company so when I buy my steel for my other projects I order my personel stuff at the same time so I get the company discount. and then sell the steel to my self at cost