In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail Work =

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Oct 11, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    some nice wood, so I hauled the wood cut today an split it. 0175 has Yellow Birch on the bottom with some nice Beech on top, 0176 is what I think is Sugar Maple from the first trail, 0177 & 78 is the wood all split.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. NYCountry

    NYCountry

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,687
    Likes Received:
    11,979
    Location:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    Looks great. Nice work space you got there. Tons of good stuff. Have fun and be safe
     
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice work Zap! Your tub has some good loads! How was your weather?
     
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I think it was about 55 with the sun out most of the day, perfect conditions.
     
  5. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    About the same weather here Zap.....I split a little beech this afternoon. Birch is a wood I've never had at least that I know of. Nice colors in your woods right now, soon that will be all gone.
     
    Drvn4wood and thewoodlands like this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I think if we get the winds on Tuesday night (44 mph) we'll lose most of them. That Beech is some nice firewood.
     
    Drvn4wood and Shawn Curry like this.
  7. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    You've got a nice level, pine needle covered, work area Woods. Add that fall color... nice spot!
     
    Shawn Curry and thewoodlands like this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    They can be a pain but work well on the trails. Are you peak (colors) in your area?
     
    Stinny likes this.
  9. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Not really. There are areas around us but we still have a lot of green leaves, and part brown. A little color. Kinda drab this year and the wind has done a number too blowing a lot of them off.
     
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I see this morning they (Accuweather) backed off the high winds on Tuesday, what would P.D. say, it's a GOODER thing.
     
    papadave likes this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Not sure which area yet but I'll be working one of the two.
     

    Attached Files:

  12. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Love the low hanging, fairly easy stuff.
    Looks like a bit of a slope to work on.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It's actually not bad at all, it's a nice slope to work on. That ridge or hill holds a chit load of downed wood, I'll be working there starting in the spring until next fall, some big azz Cherry.
     
    papadave, Stinny and Scotty Overkill like this.
  14. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Looking good as always, Zap.
    I'm "firewooded" out for the weekend.....we did another oak job last evening, it was a "top and drop". Homeowner kept the wood and I was glad, disnt get out of there til late and the "Boss" wanted to have a dinner date so I was pressed for time.

    Gonna take the hot rod for a little cruise here in a bit, on the mountain. Nice morning for a foliage ride....
     
    thewoodlands, papadave and Stinny like this.
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I ended up taking seven loads of chit wood to the wood dump. Pic 0179 is what I started on,0181 is after my first trip to the dump with some rotting pine, 0183 is after lunch I pulled the pine out after cutting both ends, 0185 is after five loads to the dump, I'm through the first mess, 0186 is the last bunch of rotten wood for the, I took another two loads from this area and the last pic is the new trail cleared.

    I spent a bunch of time cleaning and sharpening the saw today.
     

    Attached Files:

  16. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Have some safe fun!
    What will you do this winter when the snow is deep?
     
  17. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    He'll be riding them snowmobiles I talked him into getting.....:coffee:
     
    thewoodlands and savemoney like this.
  18. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We'll pack it down real quick, we had a blast last year on the sleds.
     
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    After the trail clearing today, I took a ride on the long trail I cleared yesterday, these pics are at the top of the trail, what a great day.
     

    Attached Files:

  20. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I spent the day doing more trail work, it started of with five loads of leaves with some pine needles, after that it was getting more dead chit off the edges of the trail.

    I think today I took another five to six loads to the wood dump.
     

    Attached Files:

    Certified106 likes this.