In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail Work 2015

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Aug 29, 2015.

  1. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Yea, you've been kicking azz!
     
    thewoodlands and HDRock like this.
  2. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,531
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Perfect looking weather to be getting all that done. thanks for the pics.
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Hopefully in another two weeks or less, I'll be back on that big downed Maple on the back hill.
     
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I got chased from the woods by the wind but I did clear a storm damaged Basswood and a small Pine from the trails.

    The Basswood had some wicked pressure near the top where it fell onto another tree, when I cut it loose after limbing it up, it went back seven feet with some wicked force.
     

    Attached Files:

    unclefess, HDRock, Gasifier and 2 others like this.
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice work. Gotta watch those spring board trees/branches. I guess this slight cold front is pushing through creating some nasty winds. Good choice waiting until it's safer to be in the woods.
     
    HDRock, papadave and thewoodlands like this.
  6. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,531
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Nice work there. Lovely colour among the trees as well.
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  7. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Boy you sure do have enough experience at, GBIR:thumbs:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll hit some trails today that I couldn't get to yesterday, I'm thinking we lost a tree or two up top.
     
    Gasifier, HDRock and papadave like this.
  9. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice trail work there. Those were some high winds yesterday. Glad they were not any stronger than that.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I took a rake,shovel and a mattock back in the woods to do some trail work, I took 3 half loads of dirt and 3 full loads of pine needles to fill this hole which will become part of our trail in this area.

    The old trail was okay for the rhino but not so good for the sleds, I'll take a load of pine needles back in each day when I start cutting again until it's finished.
     

    Attached Files:

    HDRock likes this.
  11. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Good thing you have pine trees or you might have to get a chipper to fill in them low spots
     
    papadave and thewoodlands like this.
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We have a 10 HP DR Chipper, I'll be checking the oil in that and then get rid of a pile of Pine branches.
     
    HDRock and papadave like this.
  13. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Well then you're all set, either way, Mother Nature will provide:thumbs:
     
    Woodwidow and thewoodlands like this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Pic 9648 is the load of chips I did yesterday, pic 9649 is the load from today, in pic 9650 you can see the new chips from Saturday and Sundays work and the last pic is where 100_9651.JPG I want to put a few more loads on before the snow comes.

    This trail use to be lower on the outside of the trail (on the right when going up the trail) but with the work I did in May and this weekend it's much better.
     

    Attached Files:

    unclefess and HDRock like this.
  15. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Well, there will be some nice trails for the snow machines when the snow does get here.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.