In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail Work 2014

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Apr 18, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I made it to the area above the Brook to clear this dead Hemlock that came down last year, we can get the sleds down here this winter.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looks good. Got it out of there just in time for your upcoming storm! Rain here, so no work.
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Yes, we'll be close to the area that could get dumped on, I'll be sharpening a few chains starting tomorrow because they're saying we will get the wet heavy chit.

    If we're lucky it will stay east and south of us, Monday they should have an exact track for the storm.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    After taking a ride back in with the boss, I decided to open up some trails that were closed off by ice storm damaged branches, I burned six loads of pine today.

    Just before the last load was going on, the boss came out with some coffee. :thumbs:

    These trails are at the house.
     

    Attached Files:

    Well Seasoned likes this.
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Awesome pics...... looks cozy enough to sit by and relax, BUT with the wife bringing caffine, no reason to veg out! Were you able to clear enough debris so you can ride it this season?
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I have one area that has some Cherry tops down across the trail, I was hoping Mother Nature would give me another weekend.

    We needed to put some wood in so that's why I never finished that last area, I'll get it done next weekend.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Once the winds calmed down, I did some trail clearing, pic 0545,46 and 48 was a dead Pine the wind snapped off this morning while we had breakfast, pic 0551 and 52 was a dead old Hemlock that the wind took care of.

    I cleared them off the trail today so I can get back cutting tomorrow.
     

    Attached Files:

    Well Seasoned likes this.
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Im sure theres plenty more to be found tomorrow. Have fun!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I stayed off the hills and the new trails that I cleared but you can count on me checking them out before the weekends finished.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Well buddy, you've got 6 days to get everything done or you'll have to start a "trailwork 2015" thread! :thumbs:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It looks like we'll have great weather for working in the woods, I'll check on another two areas tomorrow before I check the Maple out.

    The Ravine will be checked on Saturday, I'm thinking of dropping a dead Elm in that area if Mother Nature didn't take it down.

    With this big melt and rain, the Brook is filling up fast, I'm hoping it drops tonight.
     

    Attached Files:

  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I checked a few more trails today, nothing down but I took one face slapper out of the Ravine and a Sugar Maple just up the hill. Pic 0560 is a Blue Beech,0561 is a Maple and 0562 is the buds off the Maple.

    Pic 0567 and 68 we pulled out of the Brook this summer, it was ice storm damage from last year.

    Pic 0569 & 71 came from the third trail I checked, it's either a dead Elm or Basswood.
     

    Attached Files:

    Jack Straw likes this.
  13. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Good work Woody, looks like great stuff!

    You get a lot more melt bringing the brook up more?
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    No, it's actually down about 6 - 8 inches......... I'm going off the high water mark on some of the trees.