I was back at trail clearing today in the Ravine, this area is all done for this year until Mother Nature puts more wood down. I ended up hauling four loads to the wood dump, I did get some Cherry and some Blue Beech from today, in pic 0299 the longer Cherry rounds on each side will become Cherry coasters. Pic 0265 is the Cherry I started on, all of the bigger stuff is still attached to the main trunk where it broke off. Pic 0296 is some stumps I took out today that were on the edge of the trails.
Same chit, just a different day. I started the day taking care of this rotten Hemlock (pic 0301) then it was stump removal on a trail we use for the Rhino but after today we can use the sleds too.
This was one of two areas that had a chit load of ice storm damage done to the trees, I hauled two loads of junk wood to our wood dump an in pic 0338 is some smaller rounds that I took home to stacked. Pic 0337 is before and 0339 is after,the bigger rounds of Cherry will come out before sledding season.
I cleared another trail, the wood that I grabbed today was some Blue Beech, American Hophornbeam (Ironwood) and two smaller dead Elm which I gave to my neighbor. I had planned on two more dead Elm but the pine was having a nice time in the tree next to it so I called it a day.
Good stuff! That elm looks great. Glad you're able to keep clearing. This has been the first fall where it's actually been fall in a few years. You getting a storm after this "polar invasion?" (The media its straight up nuts anymore!)
Nothing in the forecast for snow, it looks like the snow will stay well north of us, Canada. I'm glad that I did the amount of trail clearing this year, if I can do the same amount next year we'll have some nice sledding trails.
I just cleaned the chains with simple green that I use for taking out the stumps, some dirty chit, I let them soak longer than I usually do which worked out real good. I did take a small wire brush to the chains on the worst parts. I sharpened three chains tonight with another 11 (those are the ones I cleaned) set for the grinder tomorrow and Wednesday.
Sounds good. I haven't had much time for cutting. Keeping up with the leaves, winterizing the boat took up time yesterday. Saturday. I spent damm near all day bringing 5 loads of soil out building up an area that I want to be able to ride/plow on the other side of the house now that one of the ash trees was removed. I used concrete pieces I had laying around as fill. Then I brought out 3 loads of misc sized rocks to small boulders and built a retaining wall. My azz was whooped after. I wanted to bring out the dirt before any real freeze up (hand digging) which will start Wednesday night until ? Possible snow showers thurs evening. Be well....
We'll have time to rest all winter, get back to work! I'll be running the trails picking up some of the wood I left there, I also have about 5 to 6 more stumps left to remove.
Thats what I keep reminding Dawn. I still have a lot of splitting to do, which I want to get done soon. There Is another white oak that is accessible now that the brush is down. Might tinker with that during the winter and leave this dangerous hickory for spring. Once the winch comes in and the plow mount, ill get that installed. The work never ends as you know......i love working outside, no matter what it is.
That Oak will be some nice firewood, we'll be burning ours next heating season, that will give it 5 years in the stack if my memory is correct. It's a lot easier on the body working in the fall compared to the summer, I agree with you, I'd rather be outside working too.
Not really, I tried one split about three weeks ago, it had been in the garage since I topped covered the stack of Oak earlier in the summer so it was nice and dry.
When you install it in your stove, prepare for snow to melt around your house within a 50 yard radius!