In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail Work 2014

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Apr 18, 2014.

  1. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    BOOOOOOOM... :rootintootin:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  2. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    looks like you might be using some more slugs, eh
     
    Stinny and thewoodlands like this.
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Gonna be taking it down, or letting mother nature?
     
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll give Mother Nature some time.
     
    Backwoods Savage and papadave like this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This is one of the trails we wanted open for two reasons, we have some good size Cherry down up the hill and we wanted this open for the snowmobiles.

    I thought we would have some big stumps in there but it was mostly dead chit down, once everything dies off I'll go over it again.
     

    Attached Files:

  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice..... glad the stumps were mostly rotten. Those things would be a pita to mess with.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It was just downed branches and trees, nothing huge but not any stumps in the area I cleared.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I hauled three loads but only have the two pictures, the first load was mostly Sugar Maple leaves from the yard around the house, it went on a dip in the trail around the house, the second & third went on the trail back on the property I cut on.

    I got soaked a few times. In picture 0138, the black dirt is from pine needles put there two years ago.
     

    Attached Files:

    Stinny and papadave like this.
  9. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Hard judging a picture but it looks like quite a hill on the left? If so is runoff a factor of erosion or pooling of water on the trail? I'm guessing the needles keep the weeds down (not this time of year) and protect the trails a bit........
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Yes that is a hill on the left which we get runoff from but it's much better since I've built it up.
     
    Well Seasoned and Stinny like this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I did a total of four loads of pine needles on the trail then I removed three stumps on a new trail, I cut two and the other I pulled out.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier and Stinny like this.
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The last two pics.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier and Stinny like this.
  13. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice work Zap. Did they pull out with ease? Your on your way to a smooth trail:thumbs:. Hows your weather?
     
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The one I pulled out needed about three yanks, the other two had to be taken out with the saw.

    We had 38 this morning with a cool breeze but it felt great.
     
    Stinny and Well Seasoned like this.
  15. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Beautiful!
     
  16. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Lookin good. Have you even seen one tick all season so far? You're out in the woods more than most. Giz got a wood tick on her a couple weeks ago... that's it... and, that's OK with me.
     
  17. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Not any ticks yet, except for spraying some clothes in the spring with that chit that kills them on contact (good for six washes) I've been using Deep Woods Off.
     
    Gasifier and Stinny like this.
  18. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Wow, nice work woodlands! You've been busy and I missed this thread apparently when I was not here for a while. Trails look great!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Thanks Gasifier, I like doing some trail work each year.
     
  20. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,285
    Likes Received:
    58,523
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Not sure how to ask the question Zap...How long/how many miles/acres of trail are you clearing/maintaining??

    Looks great, would like to ride my rhino through the trails!
     
    Stinny likes this.