In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail Work 2014

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Apr 18, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Had a dead Hemlock across this trail (pic 8920) so I took care of that then proceeded to move some dead wood out of the trail.

    Pic 8922 will be a connecting trail to the first two pics once I clear it.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gark, Gasifier, Jack Straw and 6 others like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    In pic 22 whats the moss covered tree in the way? Is it worth keeping?
    and this soon to be trail you talk about, is it something your going to
    make or was it there?
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    That tree in pic 22 is rotten, it was either an old Basswood or Hemlock, it makes nice dirt.

    The trail was there so it's just a matter of clearing some downed wood, maybe removing some old stumps. I'm sure we have some ice storm damage once I get further down in the ravine.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I decided to do some trail clearing of some downed dirty azz wood, the first part is done.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gark, Gasifier, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    More of todays trail clearing.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, Jack Straw, HDRock and 3 others like this.
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Great pics Wood. You've got lots of cleanup wood there, as I do. I'll bet, once things aren't quite so dry here, I'll be burning "junk" wood in the pit more this year.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The pines around the house lost plenty of branches during the ice storm, what a f-ing mess, years of pit wood. The wood and the trail work will come first back on the property I cut on.

    I think the burn ban comes off May 14th here in New York State.
     
    Gasifier, Loon and Stinny like this.
  8. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Great pics ....looks like great country !!
     
    Stinny likes this.
  9. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Isnt that backwards woodland? Great looking woods :)
     
    Stinny likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Loon likes this.
  11. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Just came back in from a day of splitting in the woods, I brought a load of rounds out, pictures coming up.
     
    Stinny and Loon like this.
  13. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    awesome pics as usual. Question for ya--- I notice a clean understory in all your pics. Have you guys run across any invasive buckthorn up there?? Obviously I have a love/hate relationship for it down here as it is nasty but burns quite well. I'm not sure of its range, but I'm hopeful there isn't any up by you guys.
     
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Thanks, I've never run across any buckthorn.
     
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This is some work I did last year, with all the rain we had this year it would be down to the rocks, the Pine needles are doing the job.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, Shawn Curry and Jack Straw like this.
  16. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Very nice.
     
  17. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Some of the other areas I planned on clearing new trails are full of ferns so I'll wait until fall. I'll be working this area which we rarely use, if things work out this should give us another trail up top.
     

    Attached Files:

  18. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This dead pine needed to come down, it makes the trail safer and it makes the trail wider.

    Pic 9497 is before and the next pic after.
     

    Attached Files:

  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Next week (not sure when ) I'll start the trail clearing. Pictured is a trail that will run at the base of this hill into a meadow, lots of nice Cherry that mother nature put down just up the hill on the left.

    Picture 9174 is the new location of the scaled down cabin in the meadow, if things go well, we hope to start next spring.

    This location gives us more sun.....it will also be easier to get the supplies there.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, HDRock, Loon and 3 others like this.
  20. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    A cabin build... :thumbs: Nice spot btw... :tree:
     
    papadave and thewoodlands like this.