In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tough tracking job on a deer tonight

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by swags, Jan 31, 2014.

  1. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I went with a friend to hunt his property and help reduce the doe numbers there. I shot a doe at about 2:30 and thought it was a perfect shot. Hit her exactly where I wanted to, she was 30 yards and slightly quartered away. I was up in a treestand and put it about half way up her body right behind the shoulder. The exit was low just behind the other front leg. My immediate thought was that I would watch her go down very quickly, but she made it out of sight. So I waited about 30 minutes and followed the blood trail and there was a lot of blood. Then ended up walking up on her still alive and she took off. So I backed off for 2.5 hours and took up the trail again. We were coming home tonight and couldn't go back down tomorrow so had to go look. Ended up we tracked the deer for 3 hours and jumped her 5 times. Finally we caught up to her bedded down at about 10 yards and the only shot was facing straight away so I shot her in the butt. She only went another 20 yds and died. I was amazed, we tracked her around the property twice and covered at least 3 miles. And she bled the whole way, I couldn't believe she lived that long losing that much blood. But when I gutted her the lungs, liver, and heart were all perfectly in tact. Somehow the arrow blew clean through her chest and missed everything, I still have no clue how.
     
  2. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I have been there and done that........ It blows my mind that its possible and its hard to believe until you see it. Glad you didnt give up and got her in end though. (No pun intended)
     
  3. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Here's the pics of entrance and exit
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Do you think you were a touch low? I'm no expert though.
     
  5. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I think after looking a long time it was probably right behind the heart but just under lungs. I had a friend tell me there is a small spot right behind the heart where the lungs come down at an angle. It leaves a small hole where no vitals to hit
     
  6. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Kind of what I was thinking when looking at the photo but its really hard to tell in pictures. I have heard about that small spot where there are no vitals a few times. Either way you ended up with the kill and that's what counts. I hit that one just slightly high and never did find it this year.
     
  7. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Ya I'm glad I stuck it out, hardest I've worked for a deer but got her in the freezer now. I needed some more deer meat so was glad to get it done.
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  8. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    I tell ya...deer are tough . If I got hit anywhere with an arrow..I wouldnt run that far !
     
    swags likes this.