In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Topped off Pines

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jan 17, 2015.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Since we don't have enough snow for the sleds, I'll start getting some of the topped off White Pine around the house for shoulder season wood.

    The first two pics are the same tree.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I left the pine in picture 0635 up until the snow is gone so my escape routes will be quicker, it's pretty rotten.

    I did get the first pine and found another two not far from the first, attached are some pics.
     

    Attached Files:

  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The last of the pics.
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Can't remember cutting pine. Prolly have. Is there a lot of pitch that gunks up the chain & bar or... no prob?
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Less in the winter, I run Canola Oil so you can wipe the bar down with it which will take it off the pitch.

    I never have a problem with it gunking up the bar or saw.
     
    Backwoods Savage, Gasifier and Stinny like this.
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    :yes:
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  7. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Looks nice out in the woods with the light coat of snow everywhere... You almost forget how hot this job is when its summer time....

    I bet that pine makes for some good shoulder season wood and for starting fires too... :MM:
     
    HoneyFuzz and Stinny like this.
  8. prell 73

    prell 73

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2014
    Messages:
    1,961
    Likes Received:
    3,725
    Location:
    ia
    Nice pics.
     
  9. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Good work thewoodlands. That stuff will make some comfy and quick fires for ya.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  10. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Very nice work !!!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    How much snow do you want before getting the sleds out? We've lost most of ours but then, we didn't have much to lose either. Funny that 2 days ago I saw a forecast we were to get 3-6" of snow tonight and tomorrow. Now there is hardly any mention of snow.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  12. prell 73

    prell 73

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2014
    Messages:
    1,961
    Likes Received:
    3,725
    Location:
    ia
    Wish I had there job get payed to be wrong.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Enough so your not riding on rocks, you can ride if you want some damage done to your sled or trailer it south of here (if you have one) where there's more snow.

    I've taken the Rhino on the snowmobile trail in the fall, if you saw the rocks we went over you would never go with 4-6 inches of snow.