In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Took a walk out back to check wind damage..

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by fishingpol, Aug 31, 2020.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I took a quick walk out back to see how the trees did after the winds last week. I haven't been along the right side of the property since the spring. I usually take the deer path, but it was obstructed in a few places.

    Sugar maple split down the middle. Top left snapped off.

    20200831_154349.jpg


    White pine over a spruce with maples mixed in. It has been down a while, I hadn't given it a close look.

    20200831_154617.jpg

    Aspen top down. The main trunk maybe 40 ft is still standing. Great shoulder season wood, probably ready to burn.

    20200831_154749.jpg

    Another view of the pine

    20200831_154807.jpg


    Maple snapped by the wetlands. Leaning the right way but hung up.

    20200831_154828.jpg

    I did find some young trees amongst the bittersweet. It may be worth wire caging these to give them a chance.

    Hickory.
    20200831_154528.jpg

    I believe white oak.

    20200831_154519.jpg

    I keep thinking about a NE mini-gtg, just to clean up some of the standing dead and downed trees. No dangerous trees. Some nice fall weekends coming up...
     
  2. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    That split maple is wild. I wonder if the two halves would fall in opposite directions.
    I'd be all over that poplar!
     
  3. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    I’m a snob, I don’t cut any poplar and I have plenty of it. I’d rather get Ash, which I have a ton of also.
     
  4. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    IMG_20200901_40115.jpg
     
  5. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,875
    Likes Received:
    19,919
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Gotta love when mother nature provides...........
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.