In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Today's the day....... first fire!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Eckie, Jan 14, 2023.

1. oldspark

oldspark

Time to start taking walls out.:p

brenndatomu, theburtman and Eckie like this.
  2. Eckie

Eckie

Hahaha.....I had wondered if I could make more flow somehow. But those are important walls on the other side...

brenndatomu likes this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

My house is like me a lil:loco: :crazy:
    Back is 20x40
    Front is 20 x 20 split level raised ranch type stairs
    Top 3 floors have high ceilings 17’ on 1 side C2793240-9906-4A9D-9BB2-53453762436F.jpeg

stove and chimney front right corner of 3 tall glass windows 20x20 living room

back of living room is 8’ wide double staircase goes 30’ plus up to roof..

Edit
    I asked Tom owner of Woodstock if he was going to make bigger stove cause I wanted it he said no

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    brenndatomu and Eckie like this.
  4. RGrant

RGrant

The fan on the floor blowing cooler air towards the stove is time tested and supported by the science of it all. Not smart enough on my own to make any statements beyond what I learned on this site from all the guys, but it's for sure worked for me.
    Second, and least in the way, is I'll run my ceiling fan "in reverse" in the winter and that too *seems* to do a pretty good job of moving the heat around the main floor and maybe to some extent upstairs. If it's only a placebo effect so be it, but running the ceiling fan works for my small house.
    This is a cool thread- enjoying reading it.

5. Eckie

Eckie

We probably need to get another small fan and stage. The path for the air to move from far away isn't even straight! And will have to check the ceiling fan, we turned the speed up the other day, bit didn't pay attention to the direction.

I learn a lot from reading other threads that don't necessarily pertain to my situation. I often find that it's in those threads that someone drops a golden piece of info that I can hoard in my brain!

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread RGrant. Hopefully, maybe someone will get a nugget from something that someone posts....

6. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Yeah, that work stuff. I try not to do it as much as I can, still seem to have to do more than I want. It's just a pesky thing.

7. Eckie

Eckie

Let the stove burn out yesterday afternoon so I could clean the glass...was going to run it last night but we got home a bit later than expected so I decided not to start a fire. Cleaned the glass while ago and started a fire, getting it going as I worked on supper and we ate. Probably rushed it a bit somewhere, cause I noticed one side has started blackening again. Got the fire going good, had the cat on but only turned the air down to 3, so a good amount of fire in the box. Looked a minute ago...voila glass was clean again! So thats evidently the kind of fire that it takes to clean the glass (it wasn't bad, bit still).

The stove that was in here when we bought the place was a buck copy (I think). We never fired it. Solid double front door. I cannot imagine running a non glass front stove. Both from the 'seeing/knowing' what the fire is doing, and from the visual appeal.

8. Rich L

Rich L

Maybe you need the Hearthstone Equinox or a Hearthstone One !

brenndatomu likes this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

:rofl: :lol: Rich I grew up in Vermont I know the Hearthstone 1. Dad owns land 7 miles from hearthstone factory!
    Woodstock IS out heats it.
    Also a hearthstone 1 would eat 8-10 cord of wood a year, in my house and my setup..
    If I was do that much wood I would get a gasification outdoors boiler

Eckie and brenndatomu like this.
  10. Eckie

Eckie

Successful overnight fire. I put a big hunk of nasty grained red oak in there before bed and 2-3 normal pices. The piece of red probably came from where a tree split into 2 trunks, cause it had that twisted up plate of Spaghetti looking grain on one face. It burnt down more than I though it would, but still had good coals. And still a clean glass....what what??!! It's so nice to be able to see clearly inside. Threw a small handful of kindling and a couple little weird pieces of oak in to bring it back.

Just stuck a few long pieces of what might be elm in for the set it down day burn. Whew, they were a hair away from being a hair too long. Gonna have to measure/eye ball a bit better at the stack/on the porch. The AS can take 19" wood, but I am liking shorter (16-17") better, to get it over in the stove further from the door. Pieces too close to the door that long, I tend to get more smoke spillage while they're trying to ignite.

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Eckie this stove has a learning curve, mine did. I had advantage of being 100 miles from factory and when I was treating the stove with kid gloves like you are. I went to open house at the factory. I had ?s, like you, Tom said too me take stove out of 3rd gear.

You now can have an overnight fire and clean glass, it’s been 2 weeks! by feb 20 you’ll load stove morning and night same way and if it gets too hot crack a bedroom window and not care!!

RGrant, Eckie and MikeInMa like this.
  12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Open windows are under-rated. :thumbs:

Canadian border VT and Eckie like this.
  13. oldspark

oldspark

You're getting there, my flue temp gauge took the guess work out of running my IS.

Canadian border VT and Eckie like this.
  14. Rich L

Rich L

Man if the ONE is too small to heat your home what size stove would you want Woodstock to make for you ? Maybe you need two stoves.

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

It’s not too small.. The IS can do it on less than 5 cord!!
    The One could easily heat my house and it’s beautiful! BUT the One would eat 10 cord of wood doing it.

I have done the 11 cord of wood a year thing
    4 is easier on 3 year plan

MikeInMa, Eckie and brenndatomu like this.
  16. Rich L

Rich L

I only use the One when it's extreme cold.It gives me 14 hrs of heat on one load of course my pipe damper helps extend the heat time.With both stoves I burn about 5-6 cords a year.Much less this year since it's been so mild.So why then would you ask Woodstock if they would build a bigger stove since the IS is doing the job ?

Canadian border VT likes this.
  17. Eckie

Eckie

Took off today with a sick baby girl (7 y.o.) Let the stove go out last night since it wasn't too cold, and so I could clean the glass etc today. She was laying on the sofa in the tv/stove room. Came in here to check on her and told her I was going to clean the glass. She said "daddy I like it when you do a fire". So I asked her what did she like about it, did she like the heat or did she like looking at it. She thought for a few seconds, and then she said "I like the secondaries. And the heat. The secondaries are cool." :thumbs:

MikeInMa, Raiderfan, RGrant and 2 others like this.
  18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

It struggles to keep up at 25 below; requires 8 hour reloads; instead of 12. Once I am spoiled I kind of enjoy it:D

Rich L, brenndatomu and theburtman like this.
  19. Eckie

Eckie

I hope I never ever, ever ever never ever, get to find out how this AS heats at -25 degrees!

20. RGrant

RGrant

This Friday / Saturday in New England temps are slated to dive below zero. Almost all of CT and RI are going to be just south of zero.
    Certainly going to be letting my stove stretch its legs.

colin.p, MikeInMa, Rich L and 4 others like this.