In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tips for Sharpening Square chisel on a Timber Tuff

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Sconnie Burner, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Sconnie Burner

Sconnie Burner

Any set up tips or pointers as far as sharpening this type of chain on the timber tough sharpener?

Shawn Curry likes this.
  2. millermodsaws

millermodsaws

I don't know the timber tuff line up but I'm guessing it's a round grinder. You have to use say a simington or silvey to sharpen square ground.

Warped5 likes this.
  3. Sconnie Burner

Sconnie Burner

Can I just round grind it? Will that create a semi-chisel? I don't really need it to be square ground.

4. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Chisel vs Semi chisel has to do with the shape of the cutter chassis itself. Square vs round has to do with the shape of the grind you put on it. Square grind is not used with semi chisel, as the location of the "corner" becomes important (semi doesn't have a corner).

chain_types.gif

In regards to sharpening tips, one of the best I've found when you're starting out, is to darken the cutter face with a sharpie. This allows you to confirm that your grinding angles and depth are set correctly: all of the darkened areas should be removed. After a while, you get used to what a sharp edge looks like, and darkening them will not be necessary.

5. millermodsaws

millermodsaws

Good write up.

6. millermodsaws

millermodsaws

If you have square ground. Yes you can grind it round but you end up with a round chisel chan.

7. Sconnie Burner

Sconnie Burner

After looking at Shawn Curry's post I now see I do have round ground chisel. I'll use the sharpie trick for sure! My cutters usually are slightly dity from the wood anyway though.

Shawn Curry likes this.