In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tips for new crops

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Greenstick, Apr 10, 2016.

  1. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    In an attempt to be out of my comfort zone and be adventurous I am going to try 3 new garden items. Do you have any tips for growing them or how to prepare them as I have never had these before. #1 rutabaga #2 turnips #3 parsnips.
     
  2. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    Turnips and snips.
    DEEP tilled soil.
    And like most other root crops. Pick the rocks.
    Prolly do best in raised beds. edit: I think most everything does better in raised beds.
     
    Greenstick likes this.
  3. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,274
    Likes Received:
    66,598
    Location:
    IN
    Turnips are easy...I don't think they need much help other than thinning out after they germinate.
     
    Greenstick likes this.