In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tips And Tricks Thread

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by SKEETER McCLUSKEY, Jun 24, 2018.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I had whole pepper one time and no twist top grinder, put a few in there and hit the button. Then I had an epiphany like you have here about using herbs but none of mine was growingwere dry. It’s best if you can get the herbs as dry as possible then try it. Some recommended the freeze method where you lay fresh herbs on a cookie sheet and then let them sit for a few hours. If you needed to wash them, make sure they got drained out well. I like your thinking, I just haven’t gotten around to doing this yet and my coffee grinder has apparently taken a stroll and never came back.

Lucy, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  2. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I guess some dollar stores would have this and this and that so one label would buy a bulk order from one place and get something similar from another. Looks great but I couldn’t get the same product if I tried. I sure do like using Lawrys garlic seasoning salt. image.jpg Sometimes I use Johnny’s and sometimes I use a bit of this stuff... image.jpg
    When you love cooking there isn’t a right or wrong road but the trick is to keep tasting. There’s a salt I believe its called fleur de sel, translates to flower salt. They use ocean water but unlike sea salt which hardens to kosher salt like chunks, this stuff has a random texture that comes from the salt solidifying on the surface rather than the bottom. Not unlike scraping the frost off your truck windows in the morning. Haven’t tried it myself but it’s gaining popularity as chefs don’t require to grind it in applications and not overdo it.

Lucy, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  3. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Yes, I have 4 coffee grinders...one for coffee, one for "herbs" one for "spices" and one for "anything hot" . I've rigged the "anything hot" one so I don't have to be with the grinder so if I'm grinding something screamin hot I'll take it outside and plug it in by extension cord so I don't have to be in the general area of the grinder while grinding.

Lucy, brenndatomu, FatBoy85 and 4 others like this.
  4. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

That one is a favorite of mine, most of those McCormicks blends are pretty good...the "smokehouse maple" one I'm not a big fan of kinda "artificial" tasting...great thread:yes:

Lucy, Chvymn99, Eric VW and 1 other person like this.
  5. BHags

BHags

"herb" is legal in Ma. now ! Oh wait, you meant....never mind...

Lucy, Eric VW, gbreda and 6 others like this.
  6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

No joke. This label was at a friends my lady is dog sitting at. Things got real from there. image.jpg

Lucy, basod, Rich250 and 8 others like this.
  7. gbreda

gbreda

Great thread idea Skeet. Thanks for the tip on this one.

I like this rub a lot on pork, chicken and turkey but similar warning to use sparingly if you dont like a lot of salt

Bit pricey but a little goes a long way.

Asian Seasoning Blend for Poultry and Seafood || Tsunami Spin

upload_2018-7-2_6-50-53.png

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Lucy, basod, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  8. gbreda

gbreda

Funny you mention this as i have been using simple salt and pepper more often lately. Maybe finish with a small amount of bbq sauce at the end.

Lucy, basod, BHags and 4 others like this.
  9. Thor

Thor

I have the same white Bendix boxes all over my warehouse.

Lucy, Chvymn99 and SKEETER McCLUSKEY like this.
  10. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

="Eric VW, post: 841563, member: 2171"]SKEETER McCLUSKEY and the rest of the gang contributing here....does anyone use a coffee bean grinder when preparing any kind of homemade rub o such?

I was getting tired of the red pepper flakes clogging up the squirt bottle when I’d do an Eastern Carolina vinegar sauce for pulled pork.... couple of “burst” pulses on the coffee bean machine and voilà.... no more clogs.:thumbs:

I can see bulky, seedy, chunky herbs getting pulverized into perfect rub consistency with this grinder.

Thoughts[/QUOTE]
    Eric VW Does it make the next batch of coffee pretty potent?:mad: I have a dedicated grinder that I got at a garage sale that I use as my spice mill.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Lucy, FatBoy85, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  11. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Interesting taste if you love coffee: 1/4 cup white sugar 1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar 1/4 cup paprika 1 tablespoon chile powder 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper 1 heaping teaspoon fresh ground black pepper 2 teaspoon salt 1 heaping tablespoon finely ground dark roast coffee Good on pork: chops ribs pulled pork or pork roast. If you use it on chicken then back off on the coffee a bit

Lucy, basod, FatBoy85 and 4 others like this.
  12. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

i used that on pork belly a few years ago....not bad.

Lucy, basod, FatBoy85 and 1 other person like this.
  13. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

simple brine for large cuts,1/4 cup kosher salt,1/4 cup dark brown sugar,1 qt water

Lucy, basod, NortheastAl and 2 others like this.
  14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:rofl: :lol:
    No.

That’s all I bought the grinder for....:thumbs:

Lucy, FatBoy85, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  15. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Thanks for clarifying that, I was a little worried about you there!:yes:

Lucy, FatBoy85, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  16. savemoney

savemoney

This is our favorite for beef and pork and a few other things like mushrooms. Fine ground blend of garlic, onion, and pepper.
    [​IMG] It does contain salt. 170mg per quarter teaspoon

Lucy, NortheastAl, FatBoy85 and 6 others like this.
  17. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

My favorite steak from the Capital Grille is the Kona coffee crusted bone in fillet.

Lucy, NortheastAl, FatBoy85 and 6 others like this.
  18. XXL

XXL

Did the chicken wing brine tonight and they turned out great. I used a little kosher salt and some of my bone dust seasoning listed above for the brine and let them soak for a few hours. Grilled naked on the top rack of the BBQ. :grizz::yes:

I really need to learn to take pictures before calling the family to dinner :picard:

19. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

#1 Remember pics before. :yes:
    #2 No pics of #2 :eek:

:D

Lucy, FatBoy85, gbreda and 1 other person like this.
  20. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Why use soy sauce in a brine? There is some science here. Soy sauce like anchovy paste and porcini mushrooms and a few other foods, has a natural flavonoid similar to monosodium glutamate that acts as a flavor enhancer. If you substitute soy sauce for some of your salt in a brine you can boost your flavor. The trick is to use enough to enhance the flavor without making the meat taste like Chow Mein. My basic brine is as follows: 1 Gal. water. 2/4 cup salt. 2/3 cup sugar. 3/4 cup soy sauce. Add any spice you think appropriate. I use this with whole chickens with the skin loosened from the meat. I add 3 bay leaves some marjoram and some dried onion flakes. Brine for 3.5 to 4 hours but no longer or it will be salty. You get a very moist bird with no flavor of the soy. Rinse the birds, and under the skin, and pat dry. I like to mix whole cranberry sauce and marmalade with some of whatever rub I am using and spoon it between the skin and meat working it way to the top of the breasts and around the thighs. Truss with string, add rub and spray with oil. Cook in the pellet smoker at 300-325 until it makes 165 internal temp. The last few minutes you can boost the heat for a crunchy skin if you like. This is probably business as usual for most of you seasoned BBQers but the soy and the cranberry/marmalade may be new.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Lucy, Sean, basod and 4 others like this.