In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Time to dig out and more wood for the garage

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Mag Craft, Dec 1, 2019.

  1. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,737
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Now that the wind and snow have calmed down I need to dig out get some more wood in the garage. Only have a couple of days worth of wood left. So far I am burning a lot more than normal. Might use 3 1/2 to 4 cord this year.

    IMG_1336.JPG
     
  2. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,795
    Likes Received:
    27,796
    Location:
    western WA
    Looks awful cold! Is the wind blowing?
     
  3. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
  4. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,737
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    The wind has calmed down for now. All day yesterday was 40 to 45 mph. Tried plowing some of the drifts with my smaller tractor and that was a no go. Would not do it.
    So I am going to try and get the backhoe started and use the bucket to move the snow. We will see.
    All my tractors are old and only two wheel drive.
     
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  5. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,660
    Likes Received:
    144,645
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    WWW is plowing again as I type. Supposedly a case of canned dog food (prescription, $$$$$$) was delivered yesterday but I do not see it. Hopefully it's by the front door under the 2' drift. Grateful the wind calmed down for you too.
     
  6. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,382
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.


    The blob ate it!
     
  7. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,737
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Finally got the back hoe to start and was able to remove the big drift blocking the drive way.
     
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,775
    Likes Received:
    215,078
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    looks cold. Hopefully you are able to get through it and restock your wood.
     
  9. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,660
    Likes Received:
    144,645
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    No dice :confused:

    Rationing his food til I find out where it is. I'm guessing the delivery was rescheduled due to weather (blowover drifting on roads) and WWW can buy some $3 per can at the vet tomorrow :doh: Not willing risk another vet bill and cleaning up hershey squirts or causing this sweet old doggie discomfort. I'll track the food down where the delivery is tomorrow, this company does not provide tracking numbers.
    Like Magpul mentioned, WWW had to ram iced over drifts in the quad, thankfully the plow did not crack :yes:
     
  10. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    OK, no whining from me over 8" of powder!
     
  11. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,177
    Location:
    Central MI
    Hey Mag Craft, I see some trees in the distance! Maybe you'd best be getting those soon as there aren't many left out there. :rofl: :lol:
     
  12. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,737
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    The neighbor lady may not appreciate that. She was stuck going up the hill yesterday on her way to her house. Took the backhoe up there and was able to clear a big drift across the road.
    Today I will use the bucket on the backhoe to bring wood into my garage.
     
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,177
    Location:
    Central MI
    For being such a good neighbor, then maybe she will still offer them to you!
     
  14. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,737
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    People out here plant those for the wind break. I am not that good of neighbor.
     
  15. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,660
    Likes Received:
    144,645
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Did you cut this summer/fall? Where did you end up?
     
  16. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,737
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Yes I went back up to the burn area from last year. I found a few areas in there where I could get some more lodge pole. I also get managed to get some pretty good loads of Elm around town and a little ash.
    I just take it one year at time and now that I am at my 3 year plan amount of wood I do not need to get as much every year.
     
  17. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,660
    Likes Received:
    144,645
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
  18. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,737
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Alright I got the garage loaded up today using the bucket on the backhoe.

    IMG_1341.JPG

    This is some of the wood I have been burning this year. You gotta like the 3 year plan. That date was originally written on there at that time and then written over to keep it legible over the years.

    IMG_1339.JPG
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  19. Cash Larue

    Cash Larue

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2019
    Messages:
    2,531
    Likes Received:
    21,012
    Location:
    Pine, CO
    85956114-BB55-49C3-BD88-0183F4D0A3DC.jpeg 1182892B-A182-4DFB-AEE4-76D2EE166A4D.jpeg 528C53EB-20F6-4AB2-B6DF-470AECDF4B31.jpeg B9630A00-186F-4356-AEF0-16DD39C9BEFD.jpeg I’m not surprised to see those snow drifts. My wife and I meet up with some friends from Idaho in Jackson Hole every other year to snowboard (and drink excessively) :cheers:That’s a looooong drive from where I live in CO. The wind in Wyoming is like no where else that I’ve ever been. I’ve seen countless blown over tractor trailers on I-80, 191 etc.

    We always have a blast though! The small towns and truck stops have some of the friendliest people I’ve ever met in them too.

    Side note: Jackson is one of the most challenging mountains that I’ve personally snowboarded. Definitely NOT a beginner hill, but that’s why I like it!

    A few pics from last year’s trip.
     
  20. Rich L

    Rich L

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2019
    Messages:
    965
    Likes Received:
    3,896
    Location:
    Eastern Mass.
    Man that one picture makes me wonder where are all the trees ?By the looks of that picture it must be a heavy burden just to gather firewood.