In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

TICK Alert!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Mar 21, 2020.

1. JoeinO

JoeinO

Pulled 3 of them off the cat already. Nothing on the market for cats but I bought a tablet from the vet for our dog we had.
    Pricey of coarse but it did seem to work and worth it for us for the piece of mind. If they made one for humans you can bet the wife and I
    would be munching on tick tablets for half the year. Good thing it had not for human consumption warning.
    Thought about giving em to the wife anyway just to see. Seriously though I'm just kidding. Ticks have to be some of the nastiest critters
    on the planet. Then cats, just kidding again. Kinda

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Wives can be nasty critters too!:hair: Had one once! GF's are a close second...just dont tell Ms. buZZsaw this!:rofl: :lol:

3. papadave

papadave

Get a Seresto collar for the cat....Walmart is cheapest source I've found. They last for 8 months. We've been using them for about 3 years on the dogs.
    The cats stay inside.

metalcuttr, jo191145, JoeinO and 3 others like this.
  4. Ou812

Ou812

Revolution plus.

5. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Mayyyyyybbbbbeeeeeeeee

6. papadave

papadave

I got tired of using the topical stuff every month.

7. JCMC

JCMC

They do seem to work well on dogs been two years for us no ticks on either dog.

metalcuttr, John D, jo191145 and 3 others like this.
  8. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

My vet has me on a year round rock meds for Holly. Told me that in winter time a tick will actual craw up a blade of weed to get above the snow. Since those two go for a daily walk around the yard which it includes the woods also, figure it is worth it.

9. JoeinO

JoeinO

:rofl: :lol: Mums the word buZZsaw and Thanks papadave for the Seresto collar advice

10. MAF143

MAF143

My wife started putting tea tree oil in our shampoos and body wash several years ago. We rarely get ticks on us since she started this. She puts just a few drops in each bottle just enough to barely smell it on you while showering. I'm out in the woods a lot and she is too, but not everyday like I am.

Seems to be working for us. Easy to apply this way and we don't forget to use it either. I don't recall any actually biting in and attaching since she started this. We have found a few running around on us but it seems they don't like the tea tree oil enough that they don't bite.

11. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

If you go to your vet's office get a dose of 132 Frontline plus for dogs a 5 CC untreated blood tube and a couple 1cc syringes pour the Frontline plus into the blood tube and draw out half a cc and put it between the shoulders of your cat once a month that will last you about six months. You can only do this with Frontline any other product will kill your cat doing this. What cost you about 50 bucks to treat it for a full year.

12. jo191145

jo191145

As one with chronic Lyme I pay close attention. Tho I don’t go to much lengths to stop them. I have Permethrin which I’m supposed to spray on outdoor work clothes. Havent done it yet. I like the tree oil idea, have to look into that.
    The edibles work very good with dogs. Never had much luck with collars or sprays/shampoos. Always had dogs, sometimes several and they’ll bring them in the house big time.

supposed to be a bad year here in Ct. A recent field study in Ct found 47% of ticks tested infected with Lyme. A record breaker ;)
    Like Brad I’ve noticed a bumper crop early on then they dry up in numbers, lately.
    We have the remnants of a field in the back 40. Growing back in with weeds/vines. I won’t walk through that patch in the dead of winter. Tick heaven. Last time I walked through there I was inundated.

on the bright side Lyme will not let any cheap Chinese virus invade my body. It’s well entrenched and not giving up its host that easily ;) :)

metalcuttr, ThomH123, John D and 4 others like this.
  13. ole

ole

I brushed two tics off my pants Wednesday. They are out here in Wisconsin

14. Blstr88

Blstr88

Pulled one off my dog yesterday - early start this year!

metalcuttr, Cash Larue, Ou812 and 4 others like this.
  15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I heard a clever tip today, haven't tried it out, not many ticks here. Reminds of a fly strip for ticks.

A guy put row of duct tape sticky side out around his ankle and another below his knee. In the video you could see live ticks stuck to the duct tape.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  16. RCBS

RCBS

I saw a few on a couple of those warm February days. Normally don't need to worry that time of year. I recommend Off Sportsman's green or blue bottle.

metalcuttr, Cash Larue and John D like this.
  17. BuckeyeFootball

BuckeyeFootball

Our ticks havent been as bad since I treated the lawn with Sevin or a similar granual. Also had a few controlled burns around the woods to get rid of the leaf litter since they supposedly hibernate and lay their eggs in that stuff. Dogs are on Simparica (sp) Trio and that stuff kills ticks quick.

18. John D

John D

X2

metalcuttr, wildwest and Cash Larue like this.
  19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

'Tis the season.

metalcuttr, John D, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  20. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Smart! Like you, we don’t get many ticks here. I see maybe one or two every summer. It’s crazy hearing everyone talk about ticks in March. It’s still very much winter here.
    IMG_4842.jpeg