In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thoughts on American harvest 6039 pellet stove

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Horkn, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

thats the attitude!
    For folks who arent handy, maybe its best to get a new unit.....there are many price point ones available if you dont want to spend the cash

2. Horkn

Horkn

I got my quadrafire stove insert off of Craigslist for like $350 with the SS liner and top cap. The deal was that we had to remove it from the house that was being demolished to make way for a new gas station at a prominent street corner.

The house was in great shape, it was just one of those $$ talks deals. Several years later, this like new at the time quadrafire insert just chugs along. I burn about 4-4.5 cords a year in it. Replace some gaskets, the blower fan, and baffle board in the years since, but no biggie.

I just fixed a friend's NG fireplace last night after telling her what blower fan to buy, sight unseen, and a couple of beers later it was working great. I used to work for my dad's plumbing and boiler shop, and would do house calls to fix all sorts of issues, mostly "no heat" calls. A little electrical work, maybe replace a gas valve, circulation pump, or clean burners, and thermocouple and most situations I could fix pretty quickly.

A pellet stove has some extra motors and such, but can't be that complicated? Right?

badbob, imacman and Lousyweather like this.
  3. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

if its mechanical, it can be fixed. They arent that complicated, but with some stoves, and some repairs, it can take quite some time to fix, making it economically unprofitable to repair in the stove biz.....but doing it for yourself, why not?
    I was watching the Barrret Jackson Fall auction yesterday and saw a Plymouth (I think it was a Satellite) go for maybe $100k......part of the package was receipts for $250k in parts.....factor in the time it took to do it, and you can see what I mean.

4. subsailor

subsailor

Your hopper must be huge!

SmokeyTheBear, badbob, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  5. Horkn

Horkn

Sorry, the quadrafire is a wood insert. This pellet stove is my first real pellet stove experience.

My "hopper" is a 3 bay wood shed, 5 cords capacity each bay. :thumbs:

6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

If it moves it will cause plenty of trouble.

imacman, slvrblkk and Horkn like this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

If it moves there's plenty of other troubles going on and firewood isn't going to be a primary concern of mine.;)

imacman likes this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

Well, we installed this pellet stove up in his house. It seems to run pretty well. The only thing is we can't find out how to get mode A or B running.

9. schoondog

schoondog

hummm.. Its been awhile since I ran that stove, but if memory serves me the A and B are for custom settings in the heat modes. If you are burning corn or cherry pits or whatever mix of things that will burn you can adjust feed rates and fan speeds. When burning pellets I usually ran at a factory setting between 2 and 6, (out of 1-9)
    I'm sure the manual is still on line, check it out.

Doggy

Horkn likes this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

He's got the manual. While it burned pretty good, he noticed today that it needed some cleaning out.
    Resized_20201227_153657(1).jpeg
    Both sides were plugged.

He'll try it out again.

imacman likes this.
  11. imacman

imacman

:eek:

Horkn likes this.
  12. schoondog

schoondog

oh oh gotta be clean !!!

Horkn and imacman like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

He said that the units blower kicked in in 10 minutes after he cleaned the transfer tubes. When we started it up the first time, it took at least 30 minutes before the blower kicked in. So cleaning those out helped.

He's pretty happy with the unit so far.

So how would the thermostat work? I see there's terminals to add one, but since it has no ignitor, and has to be manually started, a thermostat seems kind of pointless.

He had previously only burned wood in the FP. It took the bricks in the chimney about 2 hrs to heat up and actually really put heat into the house. It took a half hour to get the fire going. Now, within ten minutes the pellet stove is putting heat out. :yes:. This works well for him. He's able to quickly get that stove going, and it saves him gas bills and hassle.

He'll sell a cord or 2 of firewood to fund his pellet costs going forward, so this should work well.

Lousyweather likes this.
  14. imacman

imacman

If it really does have connections for a stat on the board, then most likely it would only control hi or low fuel feed, not ignition....that would be done manually. Once set temp in the room was reached, it would go to "idle" mode until there was a call for heat again. These are guesses on my part, but I have read that there were 2 different control boards for this stove. The new one has the stat connections.

Horkn and Rich250 like this.
  15. schoondog

schoondog

I did not use a t stat, but if I recall properly the stove would go up and down and return to "low 2" for an idle setting. I ran it at 2 or 3 all day and most nights. If it was real cold I ran bursts of 5 or 6.

Doggy

imacman and Horkn like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, that's what I thought. With no automatic ignition, a t stat really makes no sense. He's pretty happy with it. Now he's experimenting with burning corn.