In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thoughts and Prayers for those in need

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by MasterMech, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Just received some long awaited news. My friend who has been in hospital since last April is scheduled to be released around 3:00 today!!! Paulette has been in hospital since April. It all started with covid and went downhill from there. She still will be taking dialysis 3 days per week with hopes the body starts recovering soon. I know she has really been looking forward to coming home. I'll probably see her Thursday to welcome her back.

She and her husband have been our friends for a long time. We got married just 6 weeks apart back in 1962. Her husband and I grew up together and before I got married, he and his brother and I lived together on a farm where he grew up.

2. fishingpol

fishingpol

Could I ask for a prayer of comfort for a co-worker? I worked with him last year at his job location.

Tragically, his wife had a kayaking accident this past weekend and she sadly passed away. It was quite a shock to all of us that know him. The suddenness of his loss puts life in perspective how fragile it can be. He is very active in his church and a good guy.

Does anyone know an inspiring passage in the lines of bringing light into darkness? Seems fitting to put something into words. Thank you all.

WeldrDave, billb3, Sourwood and 6 others like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Prayers up.

Jon, if he is like me, some words can be nice but after losing your wife, you just sort of become almost numb and not much has any meaning for a long time. For sure we all wish we could comfort someone on a loss like this but after going through it myself, I have doubts much can help except being there and helping do whatever you can. I've had friends and relatives who had come to me and just gave a hug. No words or very few words and it meant more than some folks who thought they were doing good by talking a lot. All in all, it is difficult to give comfort to someone who is grieving.

RIP.

mat60, WeldrDave, billb3 and 6 others like this.
  4. fishingpol

fishingpol

Thank you Dennis. I appreciate the insight.

mat60, WeldrDave, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  5. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

From a prophetic perspective: you asked for passages, and I assume you are thinking Scriptures. What verses come to you here, might be shared with your friend from time to time, but more importantly, they will be best prayed for him by you. So: if one of the verses here or your friend pops into your consciousness, pray that Scripture fervently and without delay. Not only will you pray a specific prayer targeting a specific need, but HE will even tell you when to pray.

Beyond that, if there are several verses that come to mind, you'll know whats going on in your co workers life at the moment without even talking to him!

"Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end"
    --Jesus

Sca

mat60, WeldrDave, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  6. JoeinO

JoeinO

mat60, WeldrDave, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  7. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

A bit of a testimony, and a prayer request:
    Related to being a blessing on vacation T.Jeff Veal.

We went to SC a few years back, drove from CT to see old friends for a weeks vacation.

We were planning to bring all kindsa stuff...bikes, kayaks etc. But then decided to turn the trip over to God, and any ministry He had in mind.

900 miles out, in the very middle of East Overshoe NC on I-26, the transmission decided it had had enough. A quick prayer and we limped to the next exit. Dead across the street from the off-ramp....was a motel (blessing). We booked THE LAST room they had (blessing). We walked (blessing) to a nearby waffle house, and wondered why on earth we were there...what was the assignment (being that were seeing the provision already)? The waffle place had a buy one get one that hour (blessing). They heard we were at the hotel, and gave us another discount (blessing).

This was getting a little unreal here!

Walking back we prayed, at each business we went by, asking Him to show us our assignment. (prayer walking being a pastime). We stopped at a little storefront church.....BINGO!
    Three of us spent the better part of 45 minutes, razing all kindsa hell, blessing and binding whatever came to mind, not just the church, but the town, their influence, the Pastor's finances, husband/wife, kids, hedges of protection, their chairs and books, until we had absolutely nothing left.
    The next morning we limped the rest of the way to the Greenville area. At the top of the street our friends lived on, there was this little service station. Guess what repairs they did exclusively!?!? Ya, transmissions.
    We visited friends there and across the state while the car was fixing. We praised Him at every corner, blessed people where we could, sang hymns when the mood struck. Those were high times.
    And, my bank moved a few things around so we could pay our bill and still have cash for expenses there and home.

Prayer request:
    A hairbrained idea occurred to me a few days ago, to take a "Faith-trip" to the town where a little Bible college is (ok, our kiddo goes to school there). But I am hooked on the idea of bringing enough money for the trip up and back, and maybe a little food. We'll just go, pray and see where He takes us. Worst case we turn around and drive home.
    Calling and trying to pull strings, letting anyone know whats cooking, or arranging anything, is off the list. I just kinda want to show up cold (not without a little research) and just raze he11, pray with and for whomever....taking nothing extra....but a staff and a cloak...
    We'll have a year to prepare, to get back into things, to get spiritually ready (I'm so backslidden at this point), and to see what that town is about, all kinda on the qt (quiet).

So as not to derail this thread, im good for side conversations. But generally am asking for His direction and guidance.
    Sca

mat60, WeldrDave, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Just getting caught back up on this thread. I see praises and prayers needed.
    JESUS, we lift our hearts to YOU, we sing YOUR PRAISE all day. YOU alone are worthy. Thank YOU, JESUS, for YOUR HEALING TOUCH on Dennis' friend, allowing her to come home. We ask, if it's YOUR WILL, speak to her kidneys that they will work again.
    JESUS, put YOUR COMFORT on Jon's friend for the loss of his wife, use Jon in a special way to help his friend.
    Open the doors and make a way for this praise trip for Dave and his family.
    LORD, we ask for comfort for those folks that have lost loved ones to this virus, we ask for YOUR PROTECTION in this world. May YOU receive all the PRAISE and GLORY. Amen.

mat60, WeldrDave, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  9. billb3

billb3

Having lost a child and a BFF I can concur the emptiness and numbness is a tough row to hoe.
    And it takes time.

10. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

My present job has become untenable. Last week there was a schedule change that put me on 2 long and late nights. I knew then that my days were numbered there.

Yesterday, of my 3 person team, 1 quit (for a lot of reasons, but I think the sched change was the last straw). Now I'm looking at full time long and late. Essentially 2 of us covering 24/7 for the moment.
    I have another job prospect (bless the Lord) that I have turned down x2 in the last year, and they still want me there, but at a 30% decrease in pay. Health and retirement will stay more or less the same.

I don't want to leave this company while short-handed, but if they don't replace the guy who just left, I will too, at the earliest moment. Talking with a friend who is at the place I would like to go, I felt God's permission to leave my present job (which I haven't ever felt here before).

I'm at the place where throwing money at me will only be a temporary fix. I kinda doubt that would happen, but perhaps I have my price.

For a week, I have been watching vids on how to leave a job well. I continue to check my motives, making sure I am leaving for the right reasons, tying up loose ends, saving contacts and documents, removing some personal belongings etc.

I'll find out how long the situation will last when I punch in for my sentence today. When I know my schedule for next week, I'll bring materials I promised, to the other company and talk turkey before filling out ppwk.

Top of the list prayer wise, for the other opportunity to pan out, for us to make up for a pretty burly income loss. And for me not to loose my cool at work. I have to rest in Him (gonna learn that right quick).

Love and Blessings,
    Sirchopsalot

11. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Prayers Brother...

12. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Good luck.

13. Backwoods Savage

I do hope it all works out in your favor. Sadly I know what it is like...

One thing to remember too is some advice I took many years ago when I felt I had to give a company notice. I had a new job lined up and they wanted me to start the very next morning. I told the man how I felt and especially because of the type of job I had that I should give my present employer a notice. He looked at me very serious and asked me a simple question. He asked, "If your present employer was going to get rid of you, do you think he would give you a notice?" I thought about that for just a moment then asked, "What time did you say you want me to start tomorrow?"
    there is some wisdom there. But it may also have been that my boss had screwed me out of some money and perhaps it made the decision easier, but it was still the right way to go.

MikeInMa, Midwinter, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

May the LORD guide your decisions, brother.

15. DNH

DNH

Sirchopsalot

In the present job market YOU have a lot more options than you think you do. My suggestion is this, if you like your present work place (and pay scale) tell your manager point blank “I can not continue to cover the shifts you are scheduling me for, I can only work X many hours per week”.

If they are smart they will make some accommodations for you (more money, time off, benefits, better hours).

If they don’t it is a loud and clear message to you that you need to find a company that better aligns with your core values!

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

17. Erik B

Erik B

I got a phone call this evening from the president of our church council. He informed me he has lymphoma and will be starting chemo tomorrow. This came totally out of the blue. I'm the vice president, so my work load at church increased. Prayers for Shawn would be appreciated. He has a wife and a young daughter. Thanks

18. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

That is terrible news. I wish him well as he begins chemo. Prayers sent for Shawn and his family.

19. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Jesus, may YOUR HEALING HAND, be on Shawn, may YOU BIND these cancer cells, so no harm is done. We ask that YOU give strength to Shawn and Erik, as they both need YOU more.
    Amen