In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thought for the day...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by T.Jeff Veal, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Just getting by until I can throw this cussed brace away. Hand and arm still no better but they think it will improve.

JoeinO, Chvymn99 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

He that knows little often repeats it. Thomas Fuller

We all have the same eight notes to work with.

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.

If only we’d stop trying to be happy we could have a pretty good time.

The more you say, the less people remember.

The palest ink is better than the best memory.

In a major matter, no details are small.

Boogeyman, T.Jeff Veal and Marvin like this.
  3. Dumf

Dumf Banned

" When you come to a fork, take it " Yogi Berra
    ( Actual directions given by Yogi to his home in N.Y. )

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

July 31, 2020
    Verse of the Day
    Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
    Ephesians 3:20-21 NIV

Boogeyman, JoeinO, Marvin and 3 others like this.
  5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 1, 2020
    Verse of the Day
    “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”
    Revelation 4:11 NIV

Boogeyman, JoeinO, Marvin and 3 others like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

To teach is to learn twice.

In each of us there is a little of all of us. Lichtenberg

Goats eyes have rectangular pupils.

The longest one-syllable word in the English language is “screeched.”

February, 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

At latitude 60 degrees south you can sail all the way around the world.

The hyoid bone, in your throat, is the only bone in the body not attached to another bone.

7. Dumf

Dumf Banned

OK OK, here goes the Yogi quote finale ( choose your favorite):

2.You can observe a lot by just watching.

3. It ain’t over till it’s over.

4. It’s like déjà vu all over again.

5. No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.

6. Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

7. A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.

8. Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.

9. We made too many wrong mistakes.

10. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.

11. You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.

12. You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.

13. I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

14. Never answer an anonymous letter.

15. Slump? I ain’t in no slump… I just ain’t hitting.

16. How can you think and hit at the same time?

17. The future ain’t what it used to be.

18. I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.

19. It gets late early out here.

20. If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them.

21. We have deep depth.

22. Pair up in threes.

23. Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.

24. You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.

25. All pitchers are liars or crybabies.

[​IMG]
    USA TODAY Sports

26. Even Napoleon had his Watergate.

27. Bill Dickey is learning me his experience.

28. He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.

29. It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much.

30. I can see how he (Sandy Koufax) won twenty-five games. What I don’t understand is how he lost five.

31. I don’t know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads.

32. I’m a lucky guy and I’m happy to be with the Yankees. And I want to thank everyone for making this night necessary.

33. I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.

34. In baseball, you don’t know nothing.

35. I never blame myself when I’m not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn’t my fault that I’m not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?

36. I never said most of the things I said.

37. It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.

38. If you ask me anything I don’t know, I’m not going to answer.

39. I wish everybody had the drive he (Joe DiMaggio) had. He never did anything wrong on the field. I’d never seen him dive for a ball, everything was a chest-high catch, and he never walked off the field.

40. So I’m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face.

41. Take it with a grin of salt.

42. (On the 1973 Mets) We were overwhelming underdogs.

43. The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.

44. Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.

45. Mickey Mantle was a very good golfer, but we weren’t allowed to play golf during the season; only at spring training.

46. You don’t have to swing hard to hit a home run. If you got the timing, it’ll go.

47. I’m lucky. Usually you’re dead to get your own museum, but I’m still alive to see mine.

48. If I didn’t make it in baseball, I won’t have made it workin’. I didn’t like to work.

49. If the world were perfect, it wouldn’t be.

50. A lot of guys go, ‘Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.’ I tell ’em, ‘I don’t know any.’ They want me to make one up. I don’t make ’em up. I don’t even know when I say it. They’re the truth. And it is the truth. I don’t know.

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 2, 2020
    Verse of the Day
    I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
    Psalms 119:11 NIV

9. Backwoods Savage

Not all knowledge which one accumulates through “experience” is accurate!

Michigan was the first state to plow its roads and also the first to adopt a yellow dividing line.

An average ear of corn has 800 kernels arranged in 16 rows.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.

If you add up the numbers 1 through 100 consecutively, the total is 5,050.

The only domestic animal not mentioned in the Bible is the cat.

Boogeyman, Marvin and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 4, 2020
    Verse of the Day
    Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
    Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Boogeyman and Backwoods Savage like this.
  11. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

WORD From The Woods

Galatians 5:1-15

"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love. You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? This persuasion is not from him who calls you. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. I have confidence in the Lord that you will take no other view, and the one who is troubling you will bear the penalty, whoever he is. But if I, brothers, still preach circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been removed. I wish those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves! For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another."

I just love how Paul puts it in this passage, "for freedom Christ had set you free!" He tells us to stand firm in the fact that Christ has set us free from the the yoke of slavery. The picture of a heavy yoke and being enslaved is something we should think carefully about and understand the true weight communicated by this metaphor. The burden that Paul is talking about is the burden of trying to obtain righteousness through doing good things. Paul is addressing the issue of circumcision which was a part of Old Testament law, men were required to be circumcised in order to be a part of the nation of Israel. This was a picture of how we are "circumcised" of our old fleshly nature when we are born again as a new creation in Christ, thus becoming a part of "true Israel" the kingdom of God. There were people in the Galatian church that were falling into the teaching that they could obtain righteousness by being circumcised and trying to keep the law. He says that if we try to work our way to righteousness we are severed from Christ! We can't do it on our own! As Paul says "through the spirit, by faith, we eagerly await for the hope of righteousness." This has already been accomplished by Christ crucified! We will fully realize this incredible truth at the resurrection, when we who believe in Christ will be raised immortal, imperishable and incorruptible!! Paul warns in verse 13 not to take our freedom in Christ for granted though. We should never use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh and be cavalier about sin. Praise and glory be to our God and King for this great freedom in Christ! It’s not what we do that makes us acceptable to God, It’s what Christ has already done for us on the cross that covers our sin and makes us righteous before a Holy God!

God bless and have a great week! -Terry-

Boogeyman and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. coreboy83

coreboy83

If brains were dynamite, some people couldn't blow their nose.

13. Backwoods Savage

Samuel Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain, was born on a day in 1835 when Haley’s Comet came into view. When he died in 1910, Haley’s Comet came into view again.

If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

Only 1/3 of the people who can twitch their ears can twitch only one at a time.

The volume of the Earth’s moon is the same as the volume of the Pacific Ocean.

The largest city in the U.S. with a one-syllable name is Flint, MI.

During the mid 1990’s, Michael Jordan made more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.

In 1945, the powerful Mark II computing machine at Harvard University was chugging along, laboriously crunching numbers, when it sputtered to a stop. Technicians scoured the massive machine for the problem and found a most unlikely cause: a four-inch moth wedged inside a switch. At that moment, the computer term “bug” was born, freezing that moth in a kind of linguistic amber. It also forever preserved a complex idea: that nature’s tendrils will work their way into even the grandest of ideas.

T.Jeff Veal, Boogeyman and coreboy83 like this.
  14. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Dennis Dennis where do you get these quotes ?
    You must be recovering with all time on your hands !

Backwoods Savage and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

FB_IMG_1579604765739.jpg

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 5, 2020
    Verse of the Day
    When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;
    James 1:13 NIV

Backwoods Savage and Boogeyman like this.
  17. Dumf

Dumf Banned

"Common sense is not so common" Sister Celeste

18. Backwoods Savage

The Lord is seeking righteous fruit, not religious nuts.

Got lots of mosquitoes? Mallards love mosquito larvae.

If you are blessed with a sympathetic disposition, don’t waste it on yourself. Benjamin Franklin

You have to watch out for the older generation sometimes. One time my grandfather took me aside, and left me there.

Do you realize, if it weren’t for Edison, we’d be watching TV by candlelight?

The less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in. Lord Chesterfield

Boogeyman and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

It's actually quite easy. I simply go to one of my Word files and copy some to place in here for everyone's enjoyment. :D

Boogeyman and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  20. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Hope you're able to get out some Dennis.