In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thought for the day...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by T.Jeff Veal, Oct 31, 2018.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

By Rev Billy Graham...

Bread of Life
    In John 6:48 we read that Jesus said, “I am the bread of life.” Jesus had just fed 5,000 people with five loaves and two fishes. They were all excited and thrilled over the great miracle that had occurred, [but] Jesus was talking about something more important than social needs. Bread in the Scriptures is a symbol of spiritual life.

Man has an inborn hunger for God. He cannot be satisfied with anything less than God. God alone can supply the bread which satisfies the inner longing of your soul and the hunger of your heart. . . . The Bible says that He is the Bread of Life.

Daily Prayer
    Lord Jesus, thank You for satisfying the yearnings deep down in my heart. Your presence fulfills the needs of my soul, and I rejoice.

2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

schlot, Backwoods Savage and Marvin like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yeah, it is too bad that Paul did not tell us what that thorn in the flesh really was. But it must have been a bad one for sure.

TurboDiesel and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Ron, your post reminded me of something I quite often post in the fall of the year. Here it is:

I went to Church this morning.

The church I attended wasn't awash in religious rituals. My seat wasn't a polished wood pew and there were no hymnals or bibles at the church I attended. Nevertheless, the spirit of God enveloped me. I could feel His presence.

I go to church early this time of year. This Sunday morning was not all that different than other Sunday mornings. I was greeted by the pre-dawn moon and stars. Silent night. All is calm. The moon lighted my way to my seat. As I sat quietly in the dark morning allowing the cold breeze to wash my face, the pink hint of a new day filled the sky. No artist could paint the canvas I witnessed this morning-or any other sunrise or sunset. It was as if God was gave me a front row seat to watch the rebirth of a new day. It was spectacular.

The steeples of my church are not straight. There no crosses atop them and they bend in the wind. But the steeples in my church still arch towards the sky, as if to pay homage to their creator. They are prettier than any man-made church steeple. I feel at home in their perch.

Though I was the only person in my church, the spirit of fellowship was strong. The choir was wonderful as usual. I was serenaded to any number of beautiful songs by the birds who signaled the arrival of dawn. I closed my eyes and let them sing their songs to me. I smiled. How Great Thou Art.

As the dawn's light opened my sanctuary to my tired, old eyes, I slowly and quietly turned my head to and fro to see what other of God's creatures was in my sanctuary. The gray body of a whitetail deer materialized out of the fog seventy yards in front of me and then disappeared back into the sanctuary. Squirrels chattered. The distant sound of ducks added to the splendor. I thanked God for being alive to witness the beauty of His creatures, both great and small.

Dead leaves quietly drifted to the forest floor. As I watched individual leaves fall and coat the forest floor with their beautiful shades of yellow, orange and red, I was literally watching God's natural cycle of the Fall take place in front of me. If you haven't sat quietly in the woods and watched thousands of leaves fall lazily to the forest floor, you are missing one of God's most beautiful art shows. Go and watch this and you will thank Him for it.

Even amongst the beauty that surrounded me, my predator extinct was on full alert. That's natural, the way it is supposed to be during this season of harvest. As I slowly turned to see what was behind me, three does cautiously picked their way through the underbrush towards me. They sauntered directly under the tree I was sitting in. It wasn't time to kill. It was time to observe and learn. The time to kill and feed my family is coming soon.

Watching the deer amble by reminded me that I had a special invite to this beautiful sanctuary, which is their home and my Season Of Harvest Church. I can think clearly there, have conversations with God. In this church there is no clutter, no e-mail, no cell phone, no pagers, no one to steal my attention. I'm at peace there. I like to be alone there with just my thoughts and memories and rest and recharge my internal batteries.

In a mere few days, the woods will come alive with activity of buck deer. And I will be there in this sanctuary to bear witness to it-as I should be. To be somewhere else would be against who I am.

Something from deep inside me pulls me to Season of Harvest Church. If you listen closely, you hear the voice of God in the wind as it blows through leaves and the treetops. Enter quietly and be still and you'll be welcomed into the sanctuary where you will witness the beauty that God has created.

5. Locust Post

Locust Post

One of my favorite things is watching the sun come up and hearing and seeing the wild life come to action.
    I will also say I think it is important to be part of a congration. The body or church is the bride of Christ. I do know there can be challenges to an organized body (local church) how can we expect any less it is group of imperfect people. Just a comment, not meant to ruffle feathers. :yes:

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

By Rev Billy Graham...

True Colors
    There is an old story that tells about a pig. . . . The farmer brought the pig into the house. He gave him a bath, polished his hooves, put some Chanel No. 5 on him, put a ribbon around his neck, and put him in the living room. The pig looked fine. He made a nice and companionable pet for a few minutes. But as soon as the door was opened, the pig left the living room and jumped into the first mud puddle that he could find. Why? Because he was still a pig at heart. His nature had not been changed. He had changed outwardly but not inwardly. . . .

You can take a man—dress him up, put him in the front row in church, and he almost looks like a saint. He may fool even his best friends for a while, but then put him in his office, or in the club on Saturday night, and you will see his true nature come out again. Why does he act that way? Because his nature has not been changed. He has not been born again.

Daily Prayer
    Almighty God, there are times when I debase my Christian walk and slip again into the mire. Cleanse and strengthen me, for Jesus’ sake.

7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

“For His eyes are on the ways of man, And He sees all his steps.
    Job 34:21 NKJV

Backwoods Savage and Marvin like this.
  8. schlot

schlot

I'm a once or maybe twice a month church goer. It seems like I get recharged learning from the service, singing and sharing the morning with others. Going gives me a different perspective on things.

I'm not as regular as some because I too see that you can find God all around you in friends family and nature.

Ones faith is very personal isn't it?

9. Backwoods Savage

There is an old saying: A goose is a goose, dress it as you will. But it remains a goose still.

Chaz and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

“I must do something,” will always solve more problems than, “something must be done.”

If someone lies to you, it will upset you. But, the most upsetting part is that from then on, you’ll probably never believe them again.

If we should abolish the death penalty, then let the murderers take the first step.

Do you really think that nature made prunes more healthful than strawberries?

It is impossible to train children at home without having the parents there at the same time.

Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and Marvin like this.
  11. Locust Post

Locust Post

Yes it is personal, thus the reference that is used....a personal relationship with Jesus. That is why I like the term a Jesus follower vs religious.
    As far as how often you attend church I don't think the Bible says. Hebrews says not to neglect meeting together but does not say once a week. I would submit though the church (members, not the building) is always referenced as the body and we have the term the race of faith. The body performs much better with all its members. If you are racing without one leg how well will the outcome be. :D

WinonaRail, Farmchuck, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  12. schlot

schlot

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Managing Stress Like Jesus: Know Your Calling

BY RICK WARREN — NOVEMBER 9, 2018

[​IMG]
    “I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received” (Ephesians 4:1 NIV).

You have a calling. We all do.

God doesn’t just call pastors and missionaries. The overwhelming message of Scripture is that God calls each of us to a specific purpose and mission.

When we don’t know what God is calling us to do, it causes stress.

In these devotionals, I’ve been sharing with you seven principles of stress-free living from the life of Jesus. The first two were:

1. Identification: Know who you are
    2. Motivation: Know whose approval you are living for
    The third principle of stress-free living from the life of Jesus is this: the Principle of Vocation. You have to know your calling.

Vocation comes from the Latin word for voice and means what God has called us to do.

And you must settle your vocation if you want to cut down on your stress.

Jesus knew his calling. He said in John 8:14, “I know where I came from and where I am going” (NIV).

Jesus understood his unique purpose—and he lived for it.

Your life is driven by something. All of our lives are driven by something. Sometimes they’re driven by regret or anger. Sometimes they’re driven by shame. Sometimes they’re driven by money or sex.

God wants your calling to drive your life. How do you know what you’ve been called to do? For years, I’ve shared an acronym that has helped many, many people. I encourage people to think and pray through their specific SHAPE. That means consider your:

• Spiritual gifts
    • Heart (what you love to do)
    • Abilities
    • Personality
    • Experiences
    God doesn’t give you a calling you’ll find miserable. He’ll call you to do something you enjoy and something you’re good at.

Paul writes in Ephesians 4:1, “I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received” (NIV).

I encourage you to ask yourself every day: Am I doing what I’m called to do?

14. Backwoods Savage

Those who don’t think little things are important should try sitting on a tack. (Or walking 5 miles with a pebble in their shoe.)

Sometimes being pushed to the wall gives you the momentum necessary to get over it.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. Edgar Allen Poe.

To have more, desire less.

We make our friends; we make our enemies; but God makes our next-door neighbor.

A good sermon leaves you wondering how the preacher knew all about you.

15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 22, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
    Psalm 100:4

16. Backwoods Savage

A diet is what makes people gain weight more slowly.

If you realize that you aren’t as wise today as you were yesterday, you’re wiser today.

In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer. Mark Twain

The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the rules and the exceptions.

You’re still young if the morning after the night before still makes the night before worth the morning after.

T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and Marvin like this.
  17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 23, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Romans 15:5-6

18. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 24, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
    John 8:12

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I thought of you Backwoods Savage when I read this devotional this morning. GOD can and has used you, brother, to touch many lives.

By Rev Billy Graham...

Triumph in Affliction
    May I remind you that physical illness is not the worst thing that can happen to you? Some of the most twisted, miserable people I have ever met had no physical handicap. Some of the world’s greatest and most useful people have been handicapped.

“The Messiah” was composed by Handel, who was suffering from a paralyzed right side and arm. Catherine Booth, in the last year of her life, said that she could not remember one day free from pain.

Helen Keller has written, “I thank God for my handicaps, for through them I have found myself, my work, and God.” Some of the most radiant Christians I have ever met were “wheelchair” saints. May God give you grace to “triumph in affliction.”

Daily Prayer
    When physical afflictions come into my life, may they draw me closer to You, my beloved Lord Jesus Christ.

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.”
    John 13:7 NKJV

Marvin and Backwoods Savage like this.