In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thought for the day...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by T.Jeff Veal, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Ever had to eat your words? Might as well make them sweet just in case you have to eat them again.

Often the first screw that works loose in a person's head is the one that held the tongue in place.

Be careful, you never know when you are making a memory.

You gotta wake up if you want your dreams come true.

You can be part of the solution or part of the problem; it’s up to you.

Your interests in life should come from more than your bank deposits.

Boogeyman, T.Jeff Veal and Marvin like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Never underestimate the ignorance of stupid people.

Some people are alive simply because it's against the law to kill them.

The school of hard knocks is an accelerated curriculum.

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"They say you can't do it, but sometimes it doesn't always work." Casey Stengel

"It's a rare person who wants to hear what he doesn't want to hear." duck Cavett

The two hardest things to handle in life are failure and success.

3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 28, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
    Revelation 21:4 NIV

4. Backwoods Savage

"When it is not necessary to make a decision, it is necessary not to make a decision."
    Lord Falkland

"By the time we've made it, we've had it." Malcolm Forbes

"A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows." St. Francis of Assisi

"Ideas must work through the brains and the arms of good and brave men, or they are no better than dreams." Emerson

"When the fight begins within himself, a man's worth something." Robert Browning

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd." James Crook

Example is contagious behavior.

5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 29, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
    Psalm 91:2 NIV

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 30, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
    Matthew 7:1-2 NIV

7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 31, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
    2 Corinthians 4:18 NIV

8. Backwoods Savage

"Where there is unity there is always victory." Publilius Syrus

"Action without study is fatal. Study without action is futile." Mary Beard

"Every noble work is at first impossible." Carlyle

"Things don't turn up in this world until somebody turns them up." James A. Garfield

"The only way to compel men to speak good of us is to do it." Voltaire

"In the mountains of truth you never climb in vain." Friedrich Nietzsche

"The real price of everything is the toil and trouble of acquiring it." Adam Smith

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

September 1, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”
    John 7:38 NIV

10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Conspiracy of Kindness
    The 19th-century American novelist Henry James wrote classics such as The Portrait of a Lady, The Bostonians and The Ambassadors. University students today still study his writings.

However, few students learn about the novelist’s perspective on the most basic matters of life. Perhaps the best expression of James’s views occurred in a conversation he had with his nephew, William. Wishing to offer his best advice, Uncle Henry said, “Willie, three things are important in human life. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. The third is to be kind.”

Thousands of years ago a young slave girl also knew the importance of being kind. She was an Israelite girl who’d been stolen from her family, carted off into a foreign land and made a slave to her enemies. Yet she felt great compassion for those who had enslaved her—even for the master of her household, Naaman, a man afflicted with leprosy.

The truth is, most of us would probably enjoy some secret sense of satisfaction in seeing Naaman suffer. We’d think he was simply getting what he deserved. But the slave girl found no delight in Naaman’s malady. Instead, she spoke wistfully of healing for her oppressor: “If only my master would see the prophet who is in Samaria! He would cure him of his leprosy” (2 Kings 5:3).

God wants to use us—just as he used a humble slave girl—to further his purposes. Even to change history. We might not be rich, famous, powerful or important. But if we’re available, God can work through us to change situations and the hearts of individuals—even through a simple act of kindness.

Taken from Men’s Devotional Bible

11. Backwoods Savage

"Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true." Honore de Balzac

"My precept to all who build, is, that the owner should be an ornament to the house, and not the house to the owner." Cicero
    "A multitude of laws in a country is like a great number of physicians, a sign of weakness and malady." Voltaire

"The biggest reward for a thing well done is to have done it." Voltaire

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due." William Ralph Inge

"Man is what he believes." Anton Chekhov

The same hammer that breaks the glass forges the steel. Russian Proverb

Boogeyman and Marvin like this.
  12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

September 2, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    Heal me, LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.
    Jeremiah 17:14 NIV

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Work isn’t a four-letter word
    By Jason Nelson

A teacher, a nurse, a lender, and a welder. This isn’t the punch line to a joke. These are the occupations of my children. I’m proud of the work they do. I preached often, “Any job they pay you to do is a good job.” I thank God they find their jobs fulfilling and don’t go thinking, “It’s a dirty job.”

Here is what the Feds say about Labor Day:

“Labor Day constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country” (U.S. Department of Labor).

I say, “Amen, brother.” I didn’t fully appreciate the blessing of going to work until I couldn’t do it anymore. No doubt the Great Recession renewed appreciation for a good job in many Americans. Our job titles are always much more than ways to support ourselves. They are expressions of who we are and the biggest contribution we make to our society. The reward of work is partly what we get out of it, but also in what we give through it.

Christians always have another motivation to work hard. It is our routine way of serving the Lord. It is the call of God we answer every time the alarm goes off. So, “whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord” (Colossians 3:23

14. Backwoods Savage

"Better to do a little well, than a great deal badly." Socrates

"Dishonesty, cowardice and duplicity are never impulsive." George Knight

"Habit is either the best of servants or the worst of masters." Nathaniel Emmons

"If we don't discipline ourselves the world will do it for us." William Feather

"Dreams never hurt anybody if he keeps working right behind the dream to make as much of it come real as he can." Frank W. Woolworth

"The price of power is responsibility for the public good." Winthrop W. Aldrich

"The more noise a man or a motor makes the less power there is available." W. R. McGeary

15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

September 3, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions.
    Proverbs 18:2 NIV

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Chapter 6 begins a series of pronouncements called the “seal judgments.” Scrolls in John’s day were closed with a small amount of melted wax. To break the seal, then, is to open the scroll. These judgments and the ones that follow (seven trumpets and seven bowls — through chapter 16) unfold in a chronological pattern, and each successive set of seven judgments is more severe than the preceding ones.

Why are all these judgments recorded? The persecuted first-century Christians found comfort in these descriptions of One more powerful than the tyrants who overwhelmed them. These images of God’s forces crashing down on those who stubbornly resist him (see Revelation 9:20 – 21 [page 1622]) assured the believers that a time was coming when widespread human rebellion against God would be corrected.

The God of the Bible is all-powerful. His apparent silence in the face of human evil is not evidence that he can’t or won’t act. He chooses not to act because he is waiting for more spiritual explorers to “open the door” (Revelation 3:20) and find him. In other words, he’s waiting for you. And be assured that a time is coming when he will act!

Taken from NIV The NIV Journey Bible

17. Backwoods Savage

"It is not permitted to the most equitable of men to be a judge in his own cause." Pascal

"There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed." Buddha

"He that wrestled with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper." Burke

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look at the stars. Henry Van Dyke

"Provision for others is a fundamental responsibility of human life." Woodrow Wilson

"Don't knock your competitors. By boosting others you will boost yourself. A little competition is a good thing and severe competition is a blessing. Thank God for competition." Jacob Kindleberger

"Never esteem anything as of advantage to thee that shall make thee break thy word or lose thy self-respect." Marcus Aurelius

18. Backwoods Savage

"No age or time of life, no position or circumstance, has a monopoly on success. Any age is the right age to start doing!" Gerard

In life every great enterprise begins with and takes its first forward step in faith.

You can employ men and hire hands to work for you, but you must win their hearts to have them work with you.

"Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability." Flower A. Newhouse

"One principal reason why men are so often useless is, that they divide and shift their attention among a multiplicity of objects and pursuits." Emmons

"How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people." Edward F. Benson

Boogeyman, Marvin and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

September 4, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
    Deuteronomy 31:6 NIV

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

September 5, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.
    Proverbs 27:17 NIV

Boogeyman and Marvin like this.