In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thought for the day...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by T.Jeff Veal, Oct 31, 2018.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 8, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.
    1. 2 Corinthians 7:1

Chvymn99, brenndatomu, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spend doing nothing. George Bernard Shaw.

If two men agree on everything, you can be sure that one of them is doing the thinking. LBJ

A drowning person is not troubled by rain.

Man is the only animal that blushes; or needs to. Mark Twain.

3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

By Rev Billy Graham...

Loneliness
    Loneliness is one of the greatest problems people face today. It is a leading cause of suicide—that is now the third greatest killer of students in the United States. People feel various kinds of loneliness. One of the most common is the loneliness of solitude. Or there is the loneliness of suffering. Many people experience loneliness in society, or there is the loneliness of sorrow, guilt, and judgment.

All of us feel at times a loneliness for God. Someone has called it cosmic loneliness. We don’t know what it is. It makes us restless. You see, man was made for God; and without God, he is lonely. But Jesus is knocking at the door of our heart, saying, “I want to come in. Let me in.” He doesn’t push His way through that door. We have to open it and invite Him in; when we do, He comes in to live forever and we are never lonely again.

Daily Prayer
    Lord Jesus, I remember the agony of my days without You. Lead me to the lonely people who need to experience the joy of Your companionship, too.

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Today's verse speaks so well of this group of folks. I know we pick at each other and share laughs, but the knowledge and friendship, even if we haven't met in person is priceless. Just seeing what we do for others in need (raffle, sending someone a saw) is so uplifting in today's environment. Thanks for all y'all do for others...

November 9, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.
    Proverbs 27:17

5. Backwoods Savage

To know how to suggest is the great art of teaching.

You can’t hold someone down without staying down with them. Booker T. Washington.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers. Voltaire.

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Every thought is a seed. Remember that if you plant crab apples, don’t count on harvesting golden delicious.

6. Backwoods Savage

7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 11, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.
    3 John 1:2

8. Backwoods Savage

When you pray for potatoes, that is fine, now grab a hoe. (And don’t forget to kill the bugs too.)

We don’t remember days; we remember moments.

Seek not to follow in the footsteps of men of old; seek what they sought.

Some people make things happen, some watch things happen and others are still wondering what has happened. It’s kind of like rocks. Some cuss them; some stumble over them; others build with them.

You’ll never discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 12, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
    1 John 3:1

10. rottiman

rottiman

Some mornings I wake slowly, drifting from dreams to consciousness. During this time, God speaks to me. Often, I recall the past, meditating on God and His work. One of the most frequently recurring themes comes from my many travels with my wife. They begin like this: I want to drive my truck, wife by my side, up through the Targhee National Forrest from Ashton, Idaho to West Yellowstone. It’s late afternoon in the early winter and we are alone; there are no other vehicles on the road to interrupt the tranquility of the moment. Just the two of us, traveling across this timeless expanse of God’s creation. The clouds are low and thick. They shroud the mountains and ooze into the valleys, spilling out onto the flats like rivers of icy-cold foam. The sky is obscured, and the colors are muted a dull, blue-gray that deepens into blue-black as you gaze up the mountain slopes. I want the ground to be covered with a heavy sodden snow. It is cold, right at freezing with large wet snow flakes falling silently and windless to the ground; not sticking to the road but hanging heavily on the trees causing their arms to sag wearily to the earth. I have my heater on, windshield wipers clapping rhythmically as we roll smoothly and silently past the trees and open flats. Here and there I catch a glimpse of a lone buffalo standing motionless. His huge head and shoulders dusted with white snow that contrasts against his woolly dark coat. He stares at us as we pass, interlopers in a cycle of seasons that reach back to the very foundations of the earth.

I am a sojourner through this world of his. The air is crisp. In my ark of steel and rubber I am warm and snug against the winter’s chill. I can scent my wife’s perfume and hear her quietly humming some sacred tune. I reach across and take her hand in mine. I chance a quick look into her eyes and a knowing smile breaks out across her face. In this moment, we are as close to one another as two humans can be. I remember our vows: “and the two shall become as one” and think that surely this is exactly what God meant when He spoke it at the beginning.

I relive these times as I dream, half awake. I’m not old. I do not hurt. The world is not angry. There is nothing on my mind save the love that my wife and I share and the joy of just being alive. It’s then, basking in the beauty of all of this, that my mind goes inevitably to the Son. For I know that it was He who made all of this and it is He who sustains it yet. The love that my wife and I share begins in the heart of the Holy Spirit and flows outward into those whom He indwells. I am reminded of what the apostle John wrote: “For God so loved the world…” and I say to myself, "Yes, He did, yes, He does." -- Author Unknown

11. Backwoods Savage

Those who agree with us may not be right, but we still admire their intelligence.

Obstacles are those things a person sees when he takes his mind off the goal.

Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck leads the flock to fly and follow. Chinese Proverb.

Average isn’t all bad, but it’s as close to the bottom as it is to the top.

While the boy is small, you can see the man.

If you get the dirty end of the stick, sharpen it and turn it into a tool. Colin Powell.

12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 13, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
    Acts 20:24

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 14, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
    2 Corinthians 12:9

14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Marvin . Good morning, brother. Hope you have a blessed and wonderful day.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Enjoying the verses, T. Jeff.
    Keep them coming.:yes:

I use the Bible Gateway app.

16. Marvin

Marvin

Good morning to you sir! What's it like in the south these days? Its starting to feel like winter up here in PA.

X2 what TurboDiesel said.

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

By Rev Billy Graham...

All Have Sinned
    Many people still cling to the notion that man is naturally good. We did not get this from the Greeks. Aristotle said, 'There is no good in mankind.' We did not get it from Judaism. Jeremiah said, 'The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?' (Jeremiah 17:9).

We did not get it from Christian teachings. The Apostle Paul said, 'All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God' (Romans 3:23). We got this illusion, I believe, from the philosophers and psychologists of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries who taught the false doctrine that man is a helpless victim of his environment.

The Bible says that man is not naturally good. All human experience confirms it. Man is rebellious by nature. This first rebellion in history happened in the Garden of Eden, where the environment was perfect and there was no heredity on which to blame it!

Daily Prayer
    Each time I become obsessed by the idea that my deeds are so noble, let me remember the magnanimity of Your perfect life.

18. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We are enjoying plenty of sunshine right now:thumbs: liquid form that is:picard::picard:. Had a pretty weekend, but I was working 12 hr shifts, looked good out the door, started back raining Monday, hopefully be gone tomorrow sometime. We have gotten down to 36° so far, been in the upper 40's-low 50's lately. Cold front is behind this rain. We have had a couple over night fires so far. Hope y'all are doing well up there.

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I'm using the YouVersion Bible app from life.church. It has many different versions, different languages, plenty of reading plans.

20. Backwoods Savage

This has always been one of the most difficult verses in the Bible for me.