In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thought for the day...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by T.Jeff Veal, Oct 31, 2018.

1. GranpaJohn

GranpaJohn

No objection , but you're gonna find out that the great and mighty Backwoods Savage has practically written a whole new book of Proverbs that (I assume) he's collected over the years. Many quite clever. Should be nice.

2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 3, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm.
    Proverbs 13:20

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Hum... I hope I can live up to expectations.

brenndatomu, Chaz and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

He sins who despises his neighbor, but happy is he who is gracious to the humble. Proverbs 14:21

The poorest person is not the one without a penny, but the one without a dream.

No road is too long when a friend is in trouble.

A smile is a light in the window which shows the heart is at home.

brenndatomu, ReelFaster, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I really enjoy your sayings

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

By Rev Billy Graham...

Christianity is Serious
    Jesus indicated that there will be a permissive society just before He comes back. “As in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the coming of the Son of man.” The world today is on an immoral binge such as has not been known since the days of Rome. We are in a hedonistic society, and what we are seeing is human nature expressing itself without God.

Many have fallen into an antinomianism in which they believe intellectually, and then go out and live like the devil, imagining that God will forgive them and take them to heaven. I believe there is an obedience to the Gospel, there is a self-denial and a bearing of the cross, if you are to be a follower of Christ. Being a Christian is a serious business.

Daily Prayer
    Teach me to deny my selfish desires and obey Your commandments, Lord Jesus. Cleanse me so that I might be used to penetrate society deeply for You.

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was.
    James 1:22‭-‬24 NKJV

7. Backwoods Savage

Thank you.

8. Backwoods Savage

Sad, but the longer a person is in error, the surer he is that he is right.

Buying quality used cars is a little like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been run through a horse, they come much cheaper.

Even if thousands of people believe in a foolish thing or idea, it is still foolish.

The shortest way to do many things is to do one thing at once.

9. Locust Post

Locust Post

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse that there may be food in my house. Test me in this "says the Lord almighty" and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out such a blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. Malachi 3:10.
    The only place God dares us to test him.

10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 5, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
    James 1:2-3

11. Backwoods Savage

What counts is not necessarily the size of the man in a fight, it’s the amount of fight in the man that counts.

To know what is right and not do it is the worst cowardice. Confucius

I’m looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know what can’t be done. Henry Ford.

Silence is rest to the mind. It is to the spirit what sleep is to the body; nourishment and refreshment. William Penn.

brenndatomu, ReelFaster, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Keep them coming Dennis..:yes:

My "uncle" was minister, in D.C. for 5 years for congress, said there were very few God-fearing men there. Before he died, he came to Vermont, he lived in Northern California. I wanted to spend some more time with him, begged him to go out my boat and watch sunset and sunrise, and talk.

His response, my beautiful young bride, is waiting for me at home and I miss her. They had been married for 48 years, at that point. I knew that's what I wanted in a marriage and 15 years later I finally got it, on my first marriage:thumbs: BUT I was 40!

I've also met your beautiful, FIRST wife!! You made an excellent choice!

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

November 6, 2018
    Verse of the Day
    The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
    John 1:14

14. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

This is such a great thread, thanks T.Jeff Veal for getting this going!!

15. Backwoods Savage

Thanks and yes, I do not like being away from the love of my life. She has been good to me and I can only hope I've been the same to her. It's now 56 years of marriage with my first wife.

16. Backwoods Savage

Half the failures in life arise from pulling in the horse’s reins as it is about to leap.

Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could not succeed. Mark Twain.

Blessed are those who forget, for they therefore surmount even their mistakes.

Everyone can give pleasure is some way. For example, one person may do it by entering a room while another may give it by leaving. The same can be said about speaking.

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Just trying to be HIS faithful servant. All praise goes to the LORD. Thanks for the encouraging words.

18. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

By Rev Billy Graham...

Pure in Heart
    Being pure in conduct also includes honesty and integrity in dealing with our fellowmen. A Christian should be known in his neighborhood or place of business as an honest person, a person who can be trusted. Jesus said, “Blessed are the pure in heart.” Do you want to be happy? All right, apply this Beatitude to your heart. Take it to yourself.

The pure in heart are the only ones who can know what it means to be supremely happy. Their hearts are pure toward God and, as a result are pure toward their fellowmen. They are happy because, in possessing Him who is All and in All, they envy no man’s worldly goods. They are happy because they envy not another man’s praise. Because they are the enemy of no man, they regard no man as their enemy. The result is peace with God and the world.

Daily Prayer
    Forgive me, Lord Jesus, my heart is far from pure. I confess to You all my innermost thoughts.

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly, He who despises the gain of oppressions, Who gestures with his hands, refusing bribes, Who stops his ears from hearing of bloodshed, And shuts his eyes from seeing evil: He will dwell on high; His place of defense will be the fortress of rocks; Bread will be given him, His water will be sure.
    Isaiah 33:15‭-‬16 NKJV

20. Backwoods Savage

Simplified economics: When buyers do not fall for prices, then prices fall for buyers.

Contentment: The smother of invention.

Those who don’t plan for the future will still have to live through it.

The wise learn many things from their enemies (from competition too).