In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Those of you with back issues..

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by LinkedXJ, Aug 15, 2019.

1. JustWood

JustWood Guest

I just did a lot of online research . I'm diabetic and have high BP. So circulation problems are par for the course .The BP meds I'm on make me feel absolutely terrible especially in the heat of summer and I would like to get off of them .
    As I researched I found many of the natural supplements for circulation are are also beneficial to "your bedroom life" which seem to be a topic on TV commercials hourly , so many supplement makers are on the band wagon .
    I've found circulation and hydration are key to joint health.
    A recent one I started taking is sunflower lecithin . It's supposed to dissolve fats in your system and make your arteries more plyable.
    I noticed within a couple of weeks that the walk up the hill from the shop to the house at night didn't wind me like it usually does and I felt more energetic through the day.

2. JustWood

JustWood Guest

My doc didn't even tell me I was low on zinc. It costs me $10 but I get a copy mailed to me . I asked about it at the next visit and she said that my calcium was high so it didn't matter if my zinc was low!:loco: :crazy:
    I took matters into my own hands.
    I don't think she would have recommended a supplement or even a different Dr for that matter.

3. rdust

rdust

What is the underlying issue? The bulging disk or something more?

I had a moderately herniated disk(years ago, I had a micro d back in 2011 and haven’t looked back. There was a point where I never thought I’d live normal again. I also have Spondylolisthesis on the same level but it is mild and doesn’t cause much trouble. I never did shots or anything else, I went for the “fix”.

I hope the procedure brings you relief, back pain sucks!

4. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

This is great stuff! Sooooooo interesting to me. Unfortunately I’m sorry to say my drs. priority is how many patients he has to see in a day & not actually trying to heal anyone. Not his fault he’s just part of the ugly medical mess we have in our land currently. Profits over patients & all that. I would love to hear more about your supplement journey. Thank you so much for sharing!:handshake:

5. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

Arthritis is what this next procedure is supposed to help with. I have been diagnosed with major arthritis of the spine as of about 6 years ago.

This is unrelated, but my spinal cord has pressure on it in my T spine region between my shoulder area.
    Thats a whole nother issue there.

My back is a mess.

6. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Ever try an inversion table?

7. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

Not a table, but i tried this traction device thing that pulls you apart. And that wasnt good... At all.

8. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

I have tried an inversion table but it didn’t seem to help.

9. Locust Post

Locust Post

My first bout was about 10 years ago, had a nerve pushing on the spine at the top and causing terrible pain down my arm. Traction device just mentioned worked great. Second was a herniated disc lower back this time about 3 or 4 years ago. Traction helped again but not as much. Surgeon looked and said if it were me I would live with it. I have and discovered the McKenzie stretch and if I do that every morning it is most times good. Great book "Treat your own back" by Robin McKenzie. I will say the traction device, in my opinion only works of you do it about every other day for at least a month or more, at least that is my experience.

10. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I'll second the McKenzie stretches, I do them every day three times a day, and then more often when I feel things tightening up, that and weight loss and strengthening my core made the debilitating back issues go away. I never would have thought that some simple stretches could make a difference...

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Ill 3rd the stretching and core strengthening.. Along with reducing inflammation..

12. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

How many reps do you do.

brenndatomu likes this.
  13. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I like that Canadian border VT in this day and age especially in my neck of the woods it's practically unheard of. Sorry didn't mean to change topic, cont.....

14. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

I agree wholeheartedly!

15. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

first thing and last thing of the day while I'm watching the Hounds, and after lunch, only takes a few minutes

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I just did PT for lower back issues over the winter...turns out I have no (not much) natural backwards curvature to my lower spin (lordosis) causing extra work for my back muscles. Anyways, the stretches they showed me helped (but take too long) but the one that surprised me was walking backwards on a treadmill...totally different set of muscles used, helps loosen my lower back up a lot!
    I need to look into this McKenzie stretch...EDIT: turns out stretch #1 (press ups) was one of the main ones I was doing...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  17. Locust Post

Locust Post

I do 15 McKenzie pushups then continue to lay on my stomach and pull each foot toward my head, bend at knee 5 on each side. Just do this each morning. Maybe I will try a few at night before bed to see if I benefit.

brenndatomu and Chazsbetterhalf like this.