In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

This load headed to the mill

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Greg, May 29, 2024.

1. Greg

Greg

buZZsaw BRAD and John D like this.
  2. Greg

Greg

3. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

That’s gorgeous

yooperdave, eatonpcat and John D like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

eatonpcat likes this.
  5. Greg

Greg

I don’t have need for very many big projects, like furniture, so I do a lot of cutting boards, cheese boards (which walnut makes a great accent for), I’m doing treasure chests for my grandkids that will be oak, with walnut lid and bottom, bowls and handles on lathe etc…. It just take a while to build up a dry wood inventory unless you want to buy kiln dried etc I’ve been just adding as I can

cheese board below is cherry outside, black walnut smaller strips, oak center and diagonal combination of little strips of all kinds glued up the cut at 45 degrees, then flip one over so you get arrow look

Attached Files:

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That cutting board is a nice piece of work.

Walnut heartwood is very rot resistant so maybe some outdoor furniture? I'd like to score and mill some for such purpose. Interior furniture not my forte. Just dropped some short honey locust off to mill. Ever mill any?

yooperdave and eatonpcat like this.
  7. Greg

Greg

Yes, I have some honey locust milled that’s dry and some other stuff recently just put up to dry, which I use for everything outdoor, birdhouses, planters etc. Haven’t tried black walnut heart wood but maybe in 18 months I could.

Everything else I have is for indoor projects, cherry, English walnut, black walnut, red oak, hickory, chestnut oak, white oak and i have some live edge stuff in English walnut and live cherry. I also recently got a monster ash with somehow no eab, so I’m giving to friend with Alaskan mill and he is giving me a slab. At least 48 inch diameter and solid as far as I can tell. Not sure what I’ll do with slab, but so rare around here to find a good one thought I should get a slab. maybe a table someday

IMG_0736.jpeg IMG_0737.jpeg IMG_0738.jpeg IMG_0735.jpeg