In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

This isn't good for EV's

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by yooperdave, Jun 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz

Chaz

Why, I never...
    :eek:

OK, I'm not fooling anyone. Been cussed at by some of the best.
    o_O

But I offered in good faith, so my conscience is clear.
    :)

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

:handshake:

Same here.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup...most countries tend to use what they got ("run what ya brung" back in the day :rofl: :lol:)...except us, lately...:picard:
    What they need right now is a bunch more EV's :whistle:

Ron T, TurboDiesel, Ohio and 3 others like this.
  4. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Way back the epa was forcing smog checks in Michigan because of the air quality. All the buildings were built and ready to go but the governor put a stop to it before one car was tested because the air quality tests showed the majority of our pollution comes from Chicago and Gary Indiana. One of those buildings never has had anything in it. Wasted money.

5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Welcome to the club. Once you’re on the $h!tlist, there’s no getting off cancel culture island :D

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

[​IMG]

7. jrider

jrider

Well this certainly digressed. I thought only ev vehicles experienced recalls…

Chaz likes this.
  8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

We played the same vehicle emission control game here about 25 years ago.
    The state built a multi-million dollar garage in every heavily populated county to start testing emissions. Somehow it got scrapped and the buildings sat empty for years. All the buildings have been sold off around here and all they test is the gas cap...for $50....
    So, it wasn't about emissions, it was about money...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  9. billb3

billb3

When was OBD2 and CANbus implemented ?

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

^^^ Some with 25% moisture

11. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Thanks, we're happy with it! Mulching contractor is coming back next week for another weeks worth in the back 40 :emptywallet:. The plan is to establish a woods road down to the creek and over to the other end of the property. We own a couple acres on the other side of the creek that was not harvested. Dreaming about a little off grid cabin on the other side, but I'd have to pay to take it out of tree growth:emptywallet:.

Sticker on the Lightning is 81.5K but it qualifies for another 7.5K tax credit. I'm trying to convince my tax guy to let me take another 26% credit on it as my "mobile PV powered whole home battery back up bank":D. He said "that might be a little aggressive". It does make the Tesla Powerwall backup that Mrs DG insisted on a little redundant, maybe if the truck purchase does happen I'll uninstall the Powerwall and sell it and pocket the tax credit on that.

That truck may not have anything under the hood but it is so quick it should be illegal!

RGrant, bogieb, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Now I get it!!:yes:
    Great idea sell it and fund garage :cool:

she’s still happy; you got a garage and truck!!

Chaz and DaveGunter like this.
  13. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I know that creek. :whistle:

I'll let you know when I dump some red dye in, upstream. :cool:

DaveGunter likes this.
  14. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

bring your pole we’ll do some:seasoned:

MikeInMa likes this.
  15. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

garage with a south facing roof:whistle: that Lightning is about twice as thirsty as the current EVs…but she doesn’t know that yet:D:emb::faint:

RGrant and bogieb like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

17. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

TurboDiesel, Ron T, Softwood and 6 others like this.
  18. tree killer

tree killer

1996. That’s the problem. They made enhanced EVAP systems and the system can be pressure tested but is not a real good system from the start. Too many failure points and for it to run its self diagnostics it’s a very small parameter. One little hiccup and it’s Christmas tree time on the dash.

yooperdave and brenndatomu like this.
  19. bogieb

bogieb

What was that about a solar powered car a couple of pages back? I was perusing the news yesterday during my lunch at work and this article came up in the science/tech section.

As all new high-tech, innovative things, it is a bit pricey being a bit north of $250k each. And it still needs lots of work before it is really practical for any but people that live and work in the same town as the range is only about 45 miles per day (unless you plug it in) - in good weather. But hey, you gotta start somewhere.

The challenge is (and this is my own guessology with a mix of what I was told during my talks with home solar companies, and a few seconds of Googling - so no sources cited) that current solar cells need a fairly narrow range of sun angles to generate power. On a vehicle, there are very few surfaces that would allow for that angle while also keeping a somewhat efficient shape to keep the wind resistance at a minimum. They have solved some of that issue by using double curved solar panels, but that is really new technology so it should do nothing but improve.

Oh, and as one would expect with new and expensive things, at this time the Dutch company is only planning on building 1,000 per year.

And that isn't the only solar powered vehicle (this is where I decided to check for others real quick), there is, what would be termed a motorcycle (yes, by law a 3 wheeled motorized vehicle over x cc's is a motorcycle) from Aptera. and car by Sono.

As an aside, I've also wondered why they can't also reap the heat from solar cells to add to the electric production, but I have no understanding at all about that tech and how much extra weight that would put on a vehicle - which may be the deciding factor. But, that obviously doesn't have anything to do with why it isn't part of free-standing solar technology.

Chaz, brenndatomu and MikeInMa like this.
  20. Creekin

Creekin

One nice thing about obd2 equipped vehicles is that the diagnostic ports are all the same, saves having a pile of different adapters for different cars
    Most CEL lights are evap related, can really suck to diagnose small, tiny leaks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.