Thanks SmokeyTheBear ! I did read about it earlier today when you had posted about it. Makes me wish I bought that suet cake this summer when we laughed about it and put it back on the shelf as I went through 3 suet cake holders this summer at the cottage. They would turn up MIA! Probably coons. Next summer, for sure, I'll have some of the hot pepper suet cakes for their little surprise! 99 lbs would yell at me for putting out food for the birds and then shooting the squirrels that came in the yard to grab some. It would be a race to grab the BB gun and sight in on the squirrel while the whole while she is yelling and pounding on the windows..."run little squirrel, run!"
I've only had feeders go MIA from raccoons which got taken out by my have no heart trap and Mr. Marlin in .22lr.
The BB gun I have is rifled and you can pump it up. It is deadly for the larger squirrels; the BB actually penetrates.
This past summer, before I resorted to the "final solution", I would remove the suet cake feeder every evening and bring it into the screen porch for the overnight. After I had already lost two cake holders... (This would also prevent to first hint of daylight crows from showing up and attacking the suet cake. damm things are loud when they are calling/searching for their friends around first light.) I set it on a countertop in the screen porch and found mouse turds on top the countertop in the morning. Animals 2 Dave 0 Then, when I would bring it in overnight, I would hang it from a nail near the top of the screen panels. (I use 8' patio door screens for the porch) Well, the flying squirrels would see it, land on the screen and chew a hole into the screen! Run off to the hardware store next day for replacements screening material. Animals 3 Dave 0 I ended up storing the suet cakes and holder in a coffee can with a lid overnight inside the screen porch. This seemed to do the trick as there was nothing for the overnight coons, flying squirrels, and pre dawn raids from the crows. Trouble is, once we left the cottage for a shopping or whatever trip, something would show up and ravage/ruin once again. We would come back from walks or bike rides and enter the driveway quietly and catch those damm crows flying away as soon as they saw us. Brings the score up to Animals 4 Dave 0. Only in the early spring can I get away with shooting the crows. They return early to establish their nests/territory before the rest of the lake fills up with population (snow birds). So yeah, I'm really looking forward to using these!