In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thinking of replacing my CB 6048 with something more efficient. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Farmchuck, Nov 25, 2018.

1. nsmaple

nsmaple

Based on what's posted, I am thinking that you are underpumped. That long of a run of 1" pex has a pretty high head. So thinking the flows are pretty low, which might also explain the temp drop in the pipe. And keeping your boiler that hot all the time would be increasing your standby heat loss quite a bit. Although it's not exactly what I would call high high. But likely it spends a lot of the time smoldering?

2. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

In warmer weather more smoldering for sure but not so much this time of year. Can you recommend a better model pump to try perhaps?

3. Creekin

Creekin

I would think that if you would call taco or another pump company and give them specs on line size,length, heat exchanger type that they should be able to recommend what gpm pump to use

Really only want to buy one once, also sure there is someone here who could recommend one

Farmchuck likes this.
  4. Jon_E

Jon_E

I've learned, after many failures, to avoid Taco. All of my Taco pumps are being replaced with Grundfos circs as they fail. For those long runs I would run through the calculations to size the pump appropriately - you will probably be looking at a Grundfos 26-99 or similar.

Farmchuck likes this.
  5. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Any pictures of your setup?

6. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Only pic I got.
    I can get a pic of the bridge crane dad built today.
    He had a chain fall on the trolley and as he got older it was harder for him to operate . Couple years ago I bought an electric hoist and it's much easier.
    I rake coals to front and lay down a couple pallet boards or lumber cutoffs or slabs from a friends sawmill, lay in a monster and shove in with my foot or a bar.

Attached Files:

Farmchuck likes this.
  7. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Wow that’s a big piece o wood!