In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thinking of pulling the Insert trigger! (Sorry Little Long)

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ReelFaster, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Thanks Fellas, much appreciated I am really excited about it. Now I need to start game planning on putting her in! Am sure I'll be back with some questions......!

Flatlander Pete, Horkn, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  2. bear 1998

bear 1998

We have a Enerzone 1.8 Insert..same co. out of canada that builds drolet n several other makes...we like it..its simple....sometimes....wish we had a little bigger one. If we load it at 10:00 pm....we still have good coals around 5-6:00 AM if we load it with Black Locust....Oak....or Hickory....good luck..
    I didn't read all the previous post yet...
    If you like to cut wood....its a must to have somethin to burn it in!

3. Horkn

Horkn

Good deal!

You'll have questions one you see the damper. I did. If you can post up pics of your damper and get some measurements you'll be further on your way.

What size pipe does the drolet you bought use?

Flatlander Pete and Chaz like this.
  4. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

6 inch. I had to remove the plate and frame. And two blocks. In hindsight a flattened and wide 'damper pipe' section would have been easier...

Flatlander Pete and Horkn like this.
  5. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

That's what I was thinking and wondering if I could get away with not having to do all that with an Oval liner. However 1st things 1st need to get my scared of heights butt up on the roof and measure the dang flue.

As SWN stated it's a 6" here are some pic's I too below. It's 5" 3/4 just shy of the 6" so there is gonna be some cutting involved if I go round. Must say am a little nervous, but I have my brother in law to give me a hand he had to cut his and knock some bricks out.
    20180626_172755.jpg 20180626_173258.jpg 20180626_173310.jpg

6. Horkn

Horkn

I think I just ovalized mine a tad and it went without cutting the damper.

7. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

It's such a chore getting the flue pipe down the chimney... and I was working by myself. So, once it was in hole, a mallet and grinder were easier than taking 20 ft of razor sharp liner out. Also... I don't think I could have done that given the bend around the smoke shelf occurring so close to the stove top.

Flatlander Pete, Horkn and ReelFaster like this.
  8. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

A word... about cleaning your chimney.

Do it BEFORE you work on the damper. Also, keep a bottle of spray water handy. A little goo to scrape off the firebox floor is preferable to dust in your lungs and house.

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Hey ReelFaster, how’s this project going? I was trying to find some threads on inserts and found this gem buried and I’m glad to revive it! Was the install made or you still in the process of it?
    Well my friend you’re likely going to have to share a stove cus this one is on my shopping list ! I read some reviews on the Drolet on Home Depot and compared it with the US Stoves Vozelgang Colonial. Needless to say I remember reading on here about their customer service has tanked. I won’t go forward, many here have US Stoves and respecting theirs,They might have different experiences.

Either way the Drolet was a charming set up said by a good handful of reviews saying it heats with great heat and without it being in the teens here much, I’m sure it can heat a great majority of the house without breaking a sweat. Have to take the fireplace insert out and get the chimney inspected and measure it all. Yada yada. Hopefully I can get the install and we can compare for heating during this winter....

ReelFaster and Horkn like this.
  10. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Hey FatBoy85, perfect timing! I just this weekend started the project and completed it today actually! I had targeted labor day weekend to give myself some extra time to get it done in case I ran into some issues. I am going to start an entire new thread on the install with pics very soon.

I have read many reviews on it and have talked to many fine folks on here about it and all had nothing but excellent things to say about it. I couldn't find a bad review on it and for the price, just can't be beat!

Hows your house hunting going? Assuming you landed something? Haven't been on as much as I'd like t0 because of work, so if you already posted something about your housing hunting, my apologies. Can't wait to share all my experiences with the Drolet. I have reached out to their support with some general questions and they have been extremely helpful. In fact they asked me for my work # so they can explain something to me over the phone via email. The guy flat out call me in work, lol!!!!!

11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

You’re in luck. We finally found a house and owners accepted our repair requests and etc. The good thing is we are on the house roll! I found that I posted asking questions and then the houses we wanted slipped away. So I stopped asking questions and wanted to fulfill house set up. The whole counting my chickens thing was kind of involved so I didn’t want to get too excited. I’m hoping to make a post about the whole thing and then the usual bombardment of Amazing advice to follow and then... hope to get it installed before burning season. I have the wood just need to buy the stove and get the person to do it for insurance reasons. I’d like to do it myself but honestly I don’t know what that would mean for insurance policy. Sure it would be cheaper. The insert just means if the chimney is ok and all, I should just be able to drop the liner in and all.

Glad you got your stove in bud, I’m real happy for ya and glad we reconnected on this thread so we can read and review during the winter about this all over again. Can’t wait to see your project and pictures. Excellent! :thumbs:

Firefighter and brenndatomu like this.