In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

They fought the tree, and the tree won.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MikeInMa, Mar 25, 2020.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And the LMI system still wont help you if you have a near maxed out load hoisted and that gust of wind comes...:startled:

2. mr.finn

mr.finn

Always sucks to see this happen. Unless the ground caved(old septic pit) that is on the operator. Computer tells you how much you can pick weight wise, go over that and, well there you have it. Back outrigger still above ground, looks like it folded and bent.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

So happy I was not the operator on this one!

4. B.Brown

B.Brown

I've been around one of those guy's who thought the crane could lift more than it could. I told him the steel truss he was going to lift was too big for the crane. It was a smaller truck mounted type crane. But, i was the labor, he was the operator, i didn't press it, just watched. Sure enough, he got the truss off the ground ok, then started lifting, got it up pretty high, and the whole mary ann went down, and put the truck on its side. not a good day, nobody was hurt, but,a lesson learned for sure.

5. billb3

billb3

Another pic of the crane on the local news showed the outrigger on the passenger side sunk into the ground pretty deep. There wasn't any more info regarding the cause of the tipping though. Whether the sinking outrigger was a contributing or resulting factor in the accident.

6. JPDavis

JPDavis

Liability insurance costs are crazy enough without having a strike like that against you. I'd hate to see the before and after rate increase after that mess.

7. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

Theres a crew back in illinois, the guy who owns the joint is loaded with experience. he is THE local professional, THE top notch guy with all the high dollar and top notch equipment.
    Ive picked up wood from him at a couple of his job sites and have seen him rig up a tree, cut it at its base without cutting anything major out of it, and he'll crane the entire tree up out of a back yard, over houses or buildings or whatever. Drop it down in the road near his chipper(s) and his ground crew chopper up and chippem up.

it is the coolest thing ive ever seen when it comes to an arborist getting the job done.