In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thermacell mosquito repellant

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Warner, May 21, 2024.

1. Eckie

Eckie

Correct, thermocell doesn't work for ticks, at least in my experience. Flying insects, yes. One morning this spring, sat down against the tree....hadn't had much issue with mosquitoes so hadn't thought much about it. A minute later they were all around me. Luckily turkey was still in the tree, so I grabbed the thermocell and fired it up. You don't even really know when it happens, but within a few minutes you'll suddenly realize the little bastages aren't there anymore....

I have the holster for mine, and it stays clipped on a strap loop of my vest. If you could figure out a way to make the little heating element work with electricity instead of the fuel canisters, I don't see why it wouldn't activate the pad....

Backwoods Savage, MikeInMa and RCBS like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Would it matter what the heat comes from? There is no flame that touches the pad.

savemoney and MikeInMa like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

It would no doubt depend on how much heat. Too little probably not work. Too much and poof, would maybe work but only for minutes. One could test to see how hot the metal gets and go from there.

savemoney and Eckie like this.
  4. savemoney

savemoney

I have been using these for years. They really do the trick. I hate being bitten by bugs as the bites make me itch for a long while.

5. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I've used a small one for years while hunting during the early part of the season when the mosquitoes are still out. Wouldn't be without one. I've used a larger one for the deck and it has worked better than those citronella candles and tiki torches (IMO).