As an attempt to forget about the last miserable days of extended family mama bear and I discussed our dream camping shack away from humanity in general. She mentioned a large screened porch with a fire pit so when bugs get bad we can go in there and sit around a fire. Has anyone else done this or something similar. I am thinking needing a hood similar to a kitchen stove hood to make it work. Corrugated tin roof- screened sides -make hood with some type of suction fan to create draft- fire pit-run hood through roof with stove pipe. Or do you think if I found a insert it would create enough draft in warm weather with the door open to not smoke us out of screened porch. All opinions or ideas needed!
If it was possible, wouldn't it be fun to make a partial roof panel that could slide down/over/up... leaving a large open area (to the stars too) for the smoke to easily get up thru. I might wrap the exposed rafters with metal, just because... and screen that area too, so it could be opened just to see the stars without a fire too. This could be done with a metal roofing structure easier than shingles... and opened/closed using an elec winch.
I always wanted a screen house with a small cobblestone fireplace and chimney at one end. Kind of like an outdoor living room.
That is kinda what we are after only off of one side of our imaginary cabin. Any idea who wood be a draft genius to ask bout these 2 ideas?
I have a shed that the whole roof slides off to the side. I can post pics of the way it's built if you think it would help design ideas.
I can help you set up a wood fired heated seating area in that space, like in my avatar. That's a pretty dang good screened porch set up. A bit of work though, but it's possible. Another thought would be one of those 70's cone fireplaces that had an integrated hood.
My ex husband and I had a glassed in back porch with a 70s cone fireplace. It changed my life. We spent almost all of our time out there. There were windows and a sliding glass door that we could open in the warm weather. He would take naps out there all the time. We often spoke of wanting to build a home surrounded by a set up like we had on the porch. It was almost like we were outside 24/7. The only downside is the metal fireplace. Most of the heat will be going straight up the chimney. The positive was the stove was cheap and required almost zero maintenance. The other perk we had was the fireplace was grandfathered in so no insurance or zoning problems. In addition, I used the sunroom as early greenhouse in the spring. Gosh, I still miss that room terribly.
Did not forget about the pics just been kinda busy. Basically it's just angle iron for rails and it looks like v belt pulleys for sliders. Will get pic asap.
Why not build an actual masonry fireplace with a legit chimney? Would probably be safer and easier than some crazy roof system. They sell pre-fab kits for outdoor fireplaces. Google "outdoor fireplace kit" and click on images. Picture of of those with a screened in porch that connects up to it.
Never thought of that. It was here when I moved in 2.5 years ago and from what the neighbors say been there a while. Usually by the time they get to us they've calmed down some. Have not had problems in heavy 50mph winds.
The guy that lived here was a Navy man. He was big unto Astronomy and used this to store and use a high dollar telescope. I think that's why it's oriented in the direction it is as well.
Or did his plants need light and he didn't want the neighborhood to see his magically delicious medicinal plants???
I always say that's my retirement plan. That's hilarious cause that was the first thing me and some buddies thought.