In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Woodyard Abhors a Vacuum

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Mar 19, 2021.

  1. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,845
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Shed looks great, Eric
     
    eatonpcat, EODMSgt, MikeInMa and 3 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,743
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Quite the cornucopia of wood in that stack.

    Its a great feeling to be that caught up and cleaned I imagine. I get close now and then, but constant hoarding stops me from acheving that "goal".

    If grass starts growing in that area you may be forced to turn in your hoarders card. :D
     
    sms4life, eatonpcat, EODMSgt and 3 others like this.
  3. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,593
    Likes Received:
    68,128
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    LOL I know, I know... I'm debating making a dedicated processing "pad" of sorts. Sink some 6 x 6 PT into the ground a couple inches above grade, arranged in a rectangle, and fill the inside of it with wood chips from ChipDrop. Park the splitter on that, maybe even build a small roof on one end so the splitter and I stay out of the rain. Way in the back out of the way, and out of sight when I look out from my deck. Then I can still have grass, and not have my firewood fetish take up my entire back yard. That's what I'm honestly sick of. Every aspect of my entire life being consumed by this hobby. It's time to bring back some semblance of balance. And turf grass :whistle:
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,743
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Fetish? :confused: Hobby? :yes: I thought it was an addiction? :loco: :crazy: Have you been going to hoarders rehab? If FHC sponsors one they're gonna get a piece of my mind!!! (if I can spare one) :rofl: :lol:

    Having seen it in person I can understand why you want to do that. Luckily, (I think) I'm limited to the small areas in front of my stacks to mostly split wood. I've have been making it a point to not stockpile rounds.
     
  5. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,890
    Likes Received:
    121,741
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    What’s the saying, variety is the spice of life. :)

    After years of chestnut oak, and years more to go, I kinda can’t wait to get to the other species in my racks. But.. I do admit, after walking down in the basement today, I’ll take all the CO available.
    upload_2026-10-11_17-44-22.gif
     
  6. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,281
    Likes Received:
    54,291
    Location:
    NC
    I’ve given up on keeping the yard tidy. Sometimes I wonder how much I’ve raised the elevation in my processing corner with saw chips, splitter scrap and bark. When the saw chips and bark pile get deep I’ll grab it with the tractor and move it downhill. The downside is it can get kinda soupy in the winter and the wood trucks can’t deliver. The upside is it’s good for my trees. I’ll never win the neighborhood garden club award, but I will have the only SBH and AC.
     
    theburtman and sms4life like this.