In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Value of Firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yes, we have talked about it, she is 12 and shaving her legs and maturing too quick. I also swim in the estrogen ocean at home. I am NOT entering the bathroom! BUT I can control water from basement.:sherlock:

2. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I am afraid after working and making sacrifices most of my life I am going to enjoy a nice long hot shower. Sometimes it is the quality of life that counts.

I do not sit on the porch and drink half a beer because I want to save some for the next day. I am retired with no kids so a different situation than some of you with children.

3. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Does the value of getting out of house hold chores and cleaning have a value? I get the monetary aspect as its easy math. But when the floor shampoo thing comes out, magically the chainsaw is in my hand and I run for zee woods:dex:

4. Erik B

Erik B

As long as you are productive in the woods, it is all good:whistle::thumbs:

Rowerwet, TurboDiesel and Woodsnwoods like this.
  5. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I'm pretty sure that my wife would kill me if I put a timer on the hot water line. All that money I would save on hot water would have toh onto hookers if I ever wanted to play again.

I have considered putting my step daughters room on timers though. Nothing pizzes me off more than going upstairs and seeing her lights and TV on, but she's been downstairs for over an hour. Only problem is he fish tank.

TurboDiesel, BigPapi and Woodsnwoods like this.
  6. shack

shack

...when the kids were around I was always on them to turn off the lights when they weren't in a room...one time I took the light bulbs...they didn't think that was funny.

7. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Try this instead: draw a nice warm bath, add in her favorite bubble bath, and if she does not have any, buy some. After that, get a book she is currently reading, or some sappy romance novel; even a Magnolia Magazine will do in a pinch. Throw some rose petals into the water, add a lit candle and a dish of orange slices with cherries for her to snack on. A glass of wine, champagne, or sparkling cider adds a nice touch. While she is relaxing and reading in the tub, warm a towel in the dryer so she has something warm and fuzzy to dry off with...

A husband who is not frugal with the domestic hot water can get some serious mileage out of this. It is not just a one time thing to replace hookers; oh no...even years later you can tell your domestic Supervisor (also known as=wife), "Hey remember the time I set up your bath for you..."

Oh yeah...I know...no pictures...never happened. Well trust me on this, I know! (Sorry about the picture quality)
    100_1776.JPG 100_1776.JPG

8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Alright...come clean (See what I did there..bath..clean) without a pic of anyone in the bath, everyone (right?) knows the bath is for you. It's ok. No need for a story.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

9. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Please, don't be silly, if Katie was IN the bathtub, I sure the heck would not be messing around getting a picture of her!!

Katie and Me.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I'm with you LodgedTree, I want to be frugal! I am seriously conservative financially, however I pick my battles. Not because I'm afraid of a battle, I enjoy them from time to time. I am competitive and when I pick one I want to win. I may win this battle if I chose it, but a happy wife who smiles and is more important to me. My wife is a little OCD when it comes to cleanliness.

11. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I had this discussion with a guy on another forum last week. He was discussing alternative power and how he could get by with 1 KW per day, and I am sure he can, but a single guy living in a shack is different than a family like mine of (6) people. This guy is kind of a keyboard cowboy, the kind that has no kids but suggests tripping breakers and doing dishes at age 2... :loco: :crazy:

Every time you add a person, there are certain things they will not compromise on. We were discussing power, but it is just as relevant for water. For Katie it is being well groomed shall we say... It takes ample time in the shower I guess...:zip:

Woodsnwoods likes this.
  12. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

Love that gif.

Get a NEST. Best 200 bucks we never spent...got money back from the utility and Kohl's cash... And I can change it from my phone...it even knows when no one is home.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  13. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Just waiting for that data breach to happen.... nest says you’re not home... confirmed on your WiFi enabled security system.... nest informs the burglar that you always turn up the heat 2 hours before you come home... burglar has enough time to take a bath.....

14. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

Family of 6, one income, three girls, one son.
    Guess who takes the longest in the shower.
    And he still isn't shaving.
    We have all LED lights, heat 99.9% with wood, and natural gas for water.
    I'm not going crazy to save a buck, but really enjoy being debt free, driving a fun car with great MPG, and laughing at the guys I work with who laughed when I didn't have cable , a new car every year, or the newest smartphone.
    Now they've finally settled down , married, bought a house, and wish they had all that money they blew.
    Scrounging firewood is the best deal for saving money around

bushpilot, Lone_Gun, leoht and 6 others like this.
  15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:BrianK:Well he best not be wasting hot water when he does!:heidi:

:rofl: :lol:

leoht likes this.
  16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Does he help with the firewood duties?

leoht likes this.
  17. Log Dog III

Log Dog III

But if you Wanted to go off the grid, you would have no trouble. You know how. These same folks will be standing in line for morsels of "give aways" if they're lucky.

18. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

The only criminals who are this methodical and tech savvy already work for the Russians or your government. lol.

19. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

He just learned to run the gas splitter, and is responsible for stacking the split wood in my pallet racks, and he us 100% responsible for keeping the firewood ring on the back porch full.
    That way Mrs rowerwet only needs slippers to keep the stove fed.

20. Enzed Bill

Enzed Bill

Yes, but if you come home earlier than expected, he'll really be ... wait for it ... IN HOT WATER.