In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The stacks will be growing this year

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Shawn Curry, Mar 4, 2016.

  1. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I got out of work early and went for a little hike. At my red maple worksite that I posted about a few weeks ago, I noticed this. The second fork of the large tree that split has started to topple the tree it was snagged in. That brings the total to 8 trees in this windfall, all red maple.

    image.jpg image.jpg

    On top of all that, I have a 5 stem red maple in the back yard that's coming down this year because its threatening my garage. And then of course there's the firewood I've gathered already.

    image.jpg image.jpg

    So I figure I'm gonna need a few more pallets. I want build them like the last ones, with black locust skids and red pine decking. I've got some pine in the garage, but I don't have enough locust for the 4x4s. But Ive got a bunch of standing dead so I selected this one.

    image.jpg image.jpg

    I was basically aiming for the stump in the foreground here. It looked like a tight fit but the branches in the crown lined up in that direction.

    image.jpg image.jpg

    I'll get two 8' saw logs and some firewood out of it. The bark all fell off when it hit the ground - Ill bet the tops are dry enough already. :)
     
    Drvn4wood, dylskee, Knothead and 16 others like this.
  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
  3. gboutdoors

    gboutdoors

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2014
    Messages:
    799
    Likes Received:
    5,780
    Location:
    S.E. Massachusetts
    Nice work. Did you get that dusting of snow today? We got it all day just about a inch or so.
     
    1964 262 6, Eric VW and Shawn Curry like this.
  4. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    None today but we had some in the middle of the week. It was almost gone before we got that dusting. I think I can still get back there with the lawnmower no problem so hopefully I can work on it this weekend.
     
    Drvn4wood, Stinny, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,170
    Location:
    Central MI
    Shawn, we got 11" this week and 8" the week before. We'll be very happy when it is gone and that looks to be about mid week this coming week. Spring is about ready to spring! Hooray!!! :thumbs:
     
    unclefess, Drvn4wood, Stinny and 3 others like this.
  6. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    That will get you ahead in a hurry. Nice job!
     
    Shawn Curry and Chvymn99 like this.
  7. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,486
    Likes Received:
    113,774
    Location:
    KC Metro
    That will be some nice additions when its all said and done.
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  8. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Nice job Shawn Curry ... love me some log piles... :stacke:
     
    Chvymn99, papadave and Shawn Curry like this.
  9. dylskee

    dylskee

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    497
    Likes Received:
    1,870
    Location:
    Central MA
    +1 very JEALOUS!
     
    Chvymn99 and Shawn Curry like this.