In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Other Rifle Thread

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by 94BULLITT, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

If I had to pick just 1 bullet for ALL my hunting. It would be the 350 gr TSX . Tumbled in Hexigonal Boron Nitride and going 2550 fps mv from the Spruce King.
    It dumps brown bear so fast from any angle it's almost unbelievable.

2. Rope

Rope

All this big bore makes me reminisce. I bought a win 70 458 Lott in a estate action. Was a real thumper. About a year later door bell rang and a gentleman introduced himself as a Dr the next town over.

Starts telling me his story of how his trip to Africa has taken a turn for the worse. His primary rifle went to the gunsmith and had a not safe to fire- try to get it right before you leave kind of throng going. Started asking around the local gun shops about big bores and my name came up. A buddy told him I have a m70 safari in the 458 Lott. And told him that I would not likely sell it.

Dr then pulled out $3,000....sold

If I knew I would have came to Alaska I wouldn’t have sold it.

Guess I didn’t do too bad, can you believe that no one wanted that gun at the auction, outher than me. Got it at the opening bid of $100.

3. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I'de say that was pretty good. I had a Lott in a CZ 550. Very nice rifle. But I'm so familiar with the Win mag I stick with it. I've never needed more power. I do absolutely recommend a low powered scope for any 416 or 458 tho. One with around 4" of eye relief. Like the 1-4×24 Vortex Crossfire ll 30 mm tube with illuminated reticle . or the 1-6×24 PST II. Have at least 8×40 base screws for the scope bases.

saskwoodburner and stihl sawing like this.
  4. blacksmith

blacksmith

That sounds like one beautiful rifle! You definitely made your money back and then some! :thumbs::dex:

saskwoodburner, Rope and stihl sawing like this.
  5. Rope

Rope

Was a nice walnut and deep blue with the red buttpad. Would be a cool rifle to own, was a no brainer to sell.

6. RCBS

RCBS

I have this rifle. The only thing wrong with it is the "kids" stock. I have been planning to put a Boyds on it, just aint got around to it. Mine loves the SpectreII muffler. I shoot at flies with it...

It's my second most accurate .22 rifle. I spent almost $1000 building the one that will beat it.

XXL, stihl sawing, Boomstick and 2 others like this.
  7. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Got a new squirrel rifle yesterday. Savage B22 FV. I like it![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

8. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I forgot about this one! A little story to go along with it. I had $20 invested in a raffle for the month of April and ended up winning a shotgun. Over/under 20 ga which I’ve been wanting. It was a Turkish made off brand, but seemed like a good working gun which is what I want any way. Took it home got 4 shells through it when the receiver warped, locked up the release and even started to separate from the stock!!! Scary!! Needless to say I returned it and picked up this instead. F75614D7-1B2F-4910-BF0C-646EF3C3170C.jpeg Marlin 1894 in .44 mag.
    Haven’t had much trigger time yet with it to do any paper testing, but it sure is fun to shoot! And especially for $20 purchase!!

9. chris

chris

Nice thumper for 50 yard and closer- if you hand load you boost the thump in the rifle v/s the pistol loadings at store

stihl sawing, blacksmith and J. Dirt like this.
  10. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

That was one of the other reasons I picked the 44, I’ve got stuff to reload it!:yes:

11. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Those Marlins with the real walnut oiled stocks are Beautiful guns......

12. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

My Remington 700 in 280 Rem. Just put the Weaver Grand Slam 4- 16x44 on. Also have a Timney trigger in it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Beetle-Kill, blacksmith, XXL and 3 others like this.
  13. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Actually, if that Marlin is accurate it has no problem with deer at over 100. And if it will feed 300 gr bullets and is twisted fast enough. It would be a Real nice general purpose carbine.

Beetle-Kill and stihl sawing like this.
  14. trail twister

trail twister

Rugar 77 V 220 Swift, I shoot hand loaded 55gr Sierra hollow point boat tail bullets thru it at 3800 feet per second. it is total death on coyotes and the holes isn't a big one to sew up either.

Have also down loaded the same bullet to 22 Mag speed 1768 FPS and shot squirrels with it.

Scope is a Simmons 6x24, they want way to much money for a plastic sun shade so I sat down and made my own. Have made several now for friends.

Use home made X sticks because is easier to adjust to sitting postion even on a steep hill side and even can stand and use them. A copy of Varmint Al's Bi Fur Pod sticks with out the spoon.

[​IMG]

15. trail twister

trail twister

Remington 700 # 1 custom 300 winchester mag. Was sitting on a gun rack for a long time at the local gun shop and where I buy my shot gun lead primers and rifle reloading supplies. Every time I was in there with the wife she would take me to it and point out the wood on it. Finally it jumped in the truck and came home with me.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Yes it gets to go hunt. I hand load 165gr Seirra HPBT bullets to 2800 FPS ruffly. It is a dandy rifle for shooting across Michigans UP cranberry bogs near my deer camp. Longest shot was a 386 yard buck in 2002.
    Scope is a Lepould compact 3x9 silver.
    It was also Mag Na Ported so the recoil is about the same as my 243.

:D Al

Beetle-Kill, blacksmith, XXL and 4 others like this.
  16. trail twister

trail twister

I started my rifle hunting with a Winchester Model 94 30-30 my folks bought me for my 16th birthday.

In 1972 I bought my first bolt rifle a Remington 700 BDL in 308. I used high see thru rings to mount the Bushnell Banner BDC 3x9 scope. It started my love affair of Remington 700's.

I hand load Speer mag tips today to about 2700FPS I still take it to the UP some years and have accounted for a lot of bucks.

[​IMG]

This one is my Remington 700 in 243. Bought this one to hunt Fox with about 1974, have shot more crows with it and deer.
    I hand load Seirra 85gr. HPBT (I should say all HPBT bullets are Game Kings.) to around 2800 FPS.
    It wears a Bushnell Banner BDC scope also. I've been impressed with those Bushnell scopes.
    I have shot a lot of bucks with it and probably a pick up 8' box full of crows with it.

[​IMG]

Beetle-Kill, blacksmith, XXL and 3 others like this.
  17. trail twister

trail twister

My first deer rifle a Winchester model 94 30-30. I still have it today at age 71 and got it when I was 16 so it has been with me for a looooog time. I also hand load for it, been so long I don't remember the speed bullets were 150 gr silver tips for years till I couldn't find them any longer. I can't remember off the top of my head what 150 gr. bullet I switched to. From 16 to my mid 20's I shot a lot of bucks with this rifle. After I got a bolt action I would still take it out hunting when it was raining or snowing. got to be knowen as Al's slumming gun in the family.
    I still shoot it about once a year about 20 times.

[​IMG]

This is my Winchester 94 32 special Winchester. It was my brothers first deer rifle and he made a trade with my dad who was going to trade it in on a model 88 winchester rifle. I gave dad more than the gun shop was going to give him for it.

It has a lyman # 2 peep sight, worked great in the thick cedar swamps at the UP deer camp and for my old eyes.
    I also hand load for it, details are not that fresh in my memory as it has been a while. Last time I took it hunting was 1994.

[​IMG]

18. trail twister

trail twister

This one came to me as a Birthday/Christmas gift, birthday is in December. Wife went to a gun shop all alone was told they didn't have a 7mm08 in stock, drove to a different towns gun shop and they had a couple in stock. She picked this one out because she says it has pretty wood.
    Now why would she buy me a new rifle when I have several already you ask.

I was on the phone with my best hunting partner, we were talking about our old eyes ans my wanting to find some thing to take the place of the 32 winchester. Part wife did hear was I was thinking of a Remington Model 7 with a low powered scope that drew in lots of light. She heard 7mm08 and knows I like Remington 700's so she bought me this mountian rifle in 7mm08.

It wears a Pentex Light seeker 3x9 scope. It best rifle scope I have ever used. I hand load 120gr Hornaday A max bullets to about 2800FPS.
    It is my Favorite rifle for shooting across the cranberry bogs after the 300 Win Mag.
    [​IMG]

I was nice and waited a year but finally got my Remington Model 7 in 7mm08. Wears a Pentex light seeker 2x7 scope. Shoot the same ammo thru it that I use in the mountian rifle. For about 5 years those were the two rifles I took to deer camp.
    [​IMG]

19. trail twister

trail twister

I told you I like Remington 700 rifles. Was shortly after they came out with the muzzle loaders I wanted one. Wife says go pick one up for Christmas. I go to the local gun shop and since it is December and Muzzle loader season is in full swing all that had was one in 54 cal. I had two T/C ml's both 50 but I wanted. Shot the 54 during deer season for several years never took a center fire to deer camp at all.
    Told wife about 2003 I was tired of having to work up a new load every year because the LGS never had the same sabots or bullets in stock I had used the year before.

She says you know how to fix that don't you? So I went and bought a used Remington 700 in 50 cal. Soon after that a friend moving to Idaho stopped by with a big box of sabots for 54cal and also told me to buy sabots on line bulk.
    Both still wear Bushnell trophy scopes.
    I still take the 50 cal hunting with me more than any other ML.

[​IMG]

20. trail twister

trail twister

This is a Rugar 77 tang saftey in 243. I bought it for my dad's 70th birthday. He had a Winchester model 88 in 284 that was slow killing behind and doing, job on deer in front.
    Every fall day was taking that 284 out to check the scope and end up with a chunk of his nose missing or a big cut over his eye.
    So I got him some thing a lot milder, yes brother and I tried a box car load of different bullets and powder to try and tame that 284. Just couldn't be done at the time. It wears a simmons 3x10 scope. uses the same ammo as I use in my Remington 243.

When dad stopped hunting he gave me the Rugar and a Ithaca model 37 shot gun I had bought him. I keep the Rugar because I want to some day give it to my grand son.

[​IMG]