In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Other Rifle Thread

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by 94BULLITT, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

looks good 94BULLITT

got a ? for the group.. considering a new to me rifle.. as farmers have sold some land that had houses 800 yards away can't see them because of trees.. but considering a short range rifle.. we got some bigger coy dogs here.. seen several at 100 plus.. 6 years ago shot one 7 times with 22 and it growled at me luckily 4 wheeler had reverse:eek: got to garage and 30 06 flopped him at 175 yards.. went in right shoulder came out rear left side of tail.. effectively field dressed him.. called game warden they showed up and took him in scale back of truck he weighed in a 165 lbs.. read a BIG dog! larger than my PB Rottweiler and lab Rhodesian Dane mix... I got no pics cause warden said he would tell me what it was... he lied when I called him later said it was a Domestic mix ... BS.. next time I will take pics..

said all that because after I thinned them out they are coming back.. but don't want a 1000 yard Bullitt want 150 yard Bullitt max with knock down power..

I looked at a ruger rifles chambered in 44 and 357.. am I thinking the right way? other suggestions? 12 gauge doesn't reach them.. easily tag then with 30 06 or 7.62 but as I do not know what's beind them am being cautious

2. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Thanks! Now I need to try it out. I like how easy it is to remove and install. I can switch it around to what I want it on.

3. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Thanks!

I am not sure what to recommend. That is above my pay grade. A 12 gauge slug would reach them. I think some slugs can travel 400-500 yards but that is probably not your best option. 22 mag would probably work but that bullet will travel far. You could trap them. I'm sure someone here will have a good suggestion.

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

maybe a different 12 ... my old 500 mossy with 2.75 inch go about 75 yard smooth barrel then forget accuracy.. oh 7 rounds of 22 hit the above 2 in neck 2 threw lungs a rear flank and 2 in gut... hey I was standing on tractor firing as he was moving about 50 yards shots

5. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

You can get a rifled barrel for slugs.

500 12 Gauge Slug Barrel, with Cantilever Mount - 24" - Matte (6-shot)

6. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

I have a rifled barrel for my Mossbergs. For a hunting situation there is little difference in accuracy between a smooth bore with rifled sabots and regular slugs with the rifled barrel.
    It's nice having a shorter barrel though.

The biggest difference is not having to worry about chokes and better sights (or fixing permanent aftermarket sights) on the rifled barrel.

7. bocefus78

bocefus78

The effective range of a 44mag rifle is about 150yds. They drop like a rock after that. Don't expect half inch groups though. More like 2 inch groups at those ranges.

Sounds like it's a good choice for you.

The ruger m77 is a nice rifle in 44 but the trigger is horrid if you like anything in the single digit pull weight.

Get a timney drop in for it and you'll be set.

Here's the thing with 44mag. You gotta dial ranges or use holdovers between 50 and 150. The bullet has some serious arc to it. Even at 1600 fps from a rifle.

A 100 yd zero will be quite high at at 50 and 6 inches low or more at 150.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  8. blacksmith

blacksmith

In my opinion I'd suggest something of the .223 rem loaded with some fragmenting bullets. Because weather you hit it or miss it the bullet will be vaporized what ever it hits first and you shouldn't have to worry about ricochet and excess bullet travel.

9. bocefus78

bocefus78

The stopping power of those fragmenting projectiles is not what I'd want for a 160lb pizzed off dog. They are only good imo for a dbl lung shot. Hit bone first, ie shoulder shot.... you gots issues and cujo is now more pizzed.

10. blacksmith

blacksmith

Ok just a thought. :emb:

11. bocefus78

bocefus78

I thought they were cool too. Until I saw some data from a police detective who studied them as part of his job. He determined they would be decent for soft tissue, but anything other than that and there were serious penetration issues and non lethal wounds.

12. blacksmith

blacksmith

I wasn't aware of that, I know they do a number on groundhogs.

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

thanks bocefus78 and blacksmith good news is got a cousin that works at ruger in NH so I'll be able to test them..maybe that 44 is what I'm looking for... old school aiming ... elevation and windage sounds like an old John Wayne movie:D

14. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I guess the slug does not fit the barrel tight (because of chokes) like a bullet in a rifle barrel, so a rifled barrel does not improve things??

15. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

I'm not fully aware of ballistics of shotgun slugs, but it's my understanding that smoothbore rifled slugs deform just like a cast bullet if not in the barrel (depending on manufacturer and design)but in the choke tube giving it it's spin hence certian recommend choke sizes.

The rifled is more accurate, but again in a hunting situation that they are commonly used for 50-150 yards a typical hunter(not internet marksmen sniper) that has done their due diligence and sighted and practiced with the weapon will have similar results.

A sabot from a a good rifled barrel from a bench from a good shooter can shoot around an inch.
    Smoothbore maybe 3 inches?(like an ak lol)
    The biggest thing is bc and drop but again if you know your weapon a 3 or 4 inch hold over(due to drop) at isn't a big deal.
    When I shoot at 100 yards at an old 100lb propane tank I have no problem hitting it with either, it's profile is something like 8-12 inches wide 3.5 feet tall.

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

thanks guys.. I am sure these animals have a place.. I do not kill for enjoyment.. especially an animal I am not intending to eat.. but I want to put it down humanely and safely.. real problem is stupid people.. 20 miles south.. whats happening is oh the puppy is so cute ... then it grows..oh its a big dog does nor fit at my apartment ,,, it needs room to run and gets dropped off at neighbors farms.. most of these end up being eaten but biggest strongest survive and are generally aggressive MORESO when they run out of food..

of course they breed because idiot former owners never got them fixed... really is a very localized problem.. Farmers are too busy to deal with it..

I will test some slugs in old moss .. then evaluate.. it's sad really as these former pets or offspring are impressive animals ...

17. chris

chris

I think I would just recommended the old stand by 30/30. If you are a re-loader cast bullets in the 308/30-06 ca be very beneficial for your purposes. The distance any of the suggestions will carry is 2-4 times your actual range Even that little 22 rim fire will carry a mile at least.
    Another choice is Air rifles , but right now the cost for a set up is high. 25, 30, 35, 45, 50 cal. are available. These are not your bb guns of times gone by with 200 grain bullets exiting the barrel at around 1000 fps. ( nothing really new - Lewis & Clarks had a couple on their epic journey)

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I agree chris only reason I felt safe with 22 I was standing up on tractor I'm 6 foot plus so shooting downward.. I will look at 30 30 ballistics.. interesting... I don't have one.. I personally don't re-load... 2 uncles do I give them brass and they give me bullits. works for me

19. chris

chris

I have bounced 44 mags out of blackhawk revolver from around a75 yard target to over 300 yards from firing point down slope firing trajectory 75 yard targets apx 20 ft below firing point. Funny part was spotter was calling the shots high as he did not see the impacts falling short of the target line. wasn't until i walked down range & saw the nice strait lines dug in the field that I understood what had transpired. These were 240 grain jacked slugs at full tilt loads- cast bullets might have had a different outcome.

20. blacksmith

blacksmith

How about a single shot handi rifle chambered in a .300 blackout? Sub sonic, mild recoil with enough knock down power for what you want to put down.:rolleyes::whistle: