In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Other Rifle Thread

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by 94BULLITT, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Soggy Logs

Soggy Logs

funny, with the right ammo it does really well, wrong stuff its all over the map.
    Wrong stuff = Remington Golden Bullets.

2. chris

chris

not unusual for Rem. golden or thunders, any make unit.

3. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

Been working up a new load for my custom .300 WM. I shoot some long range competitions and there is a mile shoot once or twice a year. So I am trying to work up a load that will stay supersonic that far. Chose the Berger 215 gr. Hybrid Target. The best load seems to be 75.5 gr of H1000. I wanted to try some RL 26 but I can't find any. Supposedly RL 26 is the best velocity powder in a 300 with heavier bullets. I have been piddling with seating depth with .015 off the lands producing the best groups so far but I am not finished.

IMG_4541.jpg

4. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Very cool. Barrel looks like a #4 contour, or #5? Did you go with 5R rifling? Is the comp. a VAIS compensator? I see these pictures and always have questions, who likes what/where/when sort of thing, not making a decision on anything. JB
    - how's it grouping @ 400 w/that load?

Mtnbikerfred and blacksmith like this.
  5. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

#4 shilen and yes a VAIS. Honestly my gunsmith loves the VAIS break and I didn't see a 300 WM rated titanium can in my future.

I am honestly just starting on this load. I am getting .6" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I haven't stretched it any further. Not as good as the SMK's of my other load. But they only stay supersonic to about 1400 if I remember right.

700 yards prone out of the bed of a truck; very little wind, hold was on the rusty bolt head. Finished with a head shot for fun. The gun shoots better than I do. I don't shoot comps. to try to win. I do it for the fellowship and self challenge and finish in the middle of the pack.

I must be getting old because even cleaning rifles has a certain enjoyment to it now.

IMG_4192.jpg

6. trail twister

trail twister

I have always what I call gun fondleing AKA cleaning.

:D Al

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  7. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

1965 Winchester Model 70 .243

I bought this at auction last year. The gun was dirty and obviously hadn't been shot in a long time. I ended up buying it for $400. Got it home cleaned the bore and it looked pretty good. Cleaned the outside of the gun and it looked better. Looked at the old scope and it was broken. I started suspecting the barrel had a low round count.

Took it to my gunsmith. He took a look at the bore and said as much. So he did an accuracy take off on the gun. Re-crowned the barrel, It was a little suspect. Bedded the action, and did a trigger job on it. It has a 1:10 twist barrel so I worked up a load using a 87gr. Vmax and 38 grs. of H4895 @ 3205. Best 5 shot group has been .219. Shoots sub .5 MOA all day long.

I think this thing is cool with the original factory heavy barrel which is drilled and tapped for a Unertl scope base.

I was shooting it this evening at 400 and 500 getting ready for a sniper fun shoot out to 1100 yards on Sunday.

IMG_4543.jpg

8. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Very cool rifle, foragefarmer. That stock looks like it has a unique wood grain, very nice. I saw the black areas and thought "wow", then realized it was shadow from the scope. :picard:
    Let us know how the shoot turned out.

9. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

So, picked up a Thompson/Center (T/C) Compass in .223/5.56. I've been wanting a .223 bolt gun for a while, kinda tired of the AR's as a platform.
    Oiliest thing I've dealt with in a while. I swear, they blued it, then after the oil bath they bolted it to a stock and shipped it. Outside of that I like it.
    I'll be working on it tomorrow- clean, trigger work, scope bases, etc. See what happens.
    Anyone have one of these? This has a 1:9 twist.

foragefarmer likes this.
  10. chris

chris

1-9 limits you a bit to the lighter .223 pills, when i was still competing we were using 1-7.5 or 8 to stake advantage of the heavy weight .223 pills for over 300 yard work . 1/9 or 1/10 on a 243/244/ 25 works well. 1/14 is common in 243/244 bench rest cartridges but that is a game of loading to max ragged edge velocity /accuracy wise for what is called short range (100-200 yards). all in all 1/9 will likely do just fine with the mid weight range .223 pills.

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  11. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Gotcha, Chris. If it works with 55-62 grn. pills I'm good. Ideally, I would like it to be MOA with a Nosler Partition 60 grn bullet. But, first things first...
    The trigger on my rifle is unacceptable as is. Supposed to be adjustable, but broke well north of 72oz. on my gauge. I have new springs coming to correct this. There is no provision for sear engagement, so may have a bit of stoning to do also. But the rest seems pretty good. Odd bolt disassembly, really easy to do. It is floated as claimed, may tweak that a bit and add some bedding, but it's Ok right now. The magazine has plenty of room to seat bullets long, no issues there. Work in progress but not bad so far.

12. chris

chris

Ah yes, Lawyer triggers.

Mtnbikerfred likes this.
  13. bigfrank

bigfrank

I have a small hydrographics business and dipped the stock in Kuiu Verde film. This is a Savage model 10fp that was a special run from one of the distributors I used to buy from. It has a 20" bull barrel and Holland muzzle brake, Leupold VX-2 scope, and Sharp Shooter trigger It's chambered in .223 Ackley. It's quite the predator gun!

Attached Files:

14. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

New springs in. My old RCBS gauge has always been pretty true, so this was interesting.
    Springs came from a company called M*CARBO. Seems like the only ones out there offering anything for these triggers. Their install video has the bench only spring pulling about 1.5/6lbs. pretty consistently. Ok, lets give it a go..
    (I did give the sear engagement areas a light stoning with a white ceramic stone.) Replaced the main springs with the supplied ones, then mocked up the "Hunter" spring- 2.5lb. Went to 66-70 oz. break. Mocked up the "bench only" spring, 1.5 lb.. 44-47 oz break. So that was better. Installed the overtravel screw and set it. So far so good.
    I expect the pull to decrease slightly over time, but it's not bad at all right now. Hopefully, I may get to the range tomorrow, see what happens.
    Edit- Full stop! There is an issue with the barrel. I'll update later when I can.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  15. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

Well the shoot was delayed a week due to weather. So they had it today. It was crowded. I got there early ish but still the earliest relay I could get was the 3rd one. I decided to shoot my .243. It is billed as a "fun shoot" and I try to have fun. Well I shot really well 18 for 20, first shot hits count as 2 points and second shot hits 1 point. So I was 27 out of a possible 30 on score. The shoot sponsor was my spotter and he said that put me in second place overall through the 3rd relay. I don't know where I was by the end of the shoot, the top 3 will be announced via email. Some sponsored PRS shooters shot later so my position probably didn't hold.

I was shooting position 1 so I wasn't getting any wind calls. The second shooter next to me was shooting a 6.5 PRC built gun with a bag rider and a Vortex Razor HD on it. Giant Bartlein barrel, aluminum chassis, Stiller action. He shot a 10 for 20. JJ the guy next to him in position 3 used my wind calls to shoot a 17-20 with a RPR in 6.5 creed. So two guys on either side of him with less in both their guns than he had in his single gun both far outshot him. He wasn't very happy. But then again my gun cost as much as his bipod.:)

Mtnbikerfred, Beetle-Kill and mdavlee like this.
  16. bigfrank

bigfrank

Cost. That is the only reason I do not shoot PRS. Sure looks like fun though.

Beetle-Kill and mdavlee like this.
  17. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

Thought I should mention this isn't a PRS shoot. It is billed as a sniper shoot. So single position with 10 targets and 2 shots at each target. Known distance. This shoot the distances were 100 2" shoot n see, 275 steel tampon, 342 juice jug, 708 idpa man, 1020 24x24 plate, 1100 bear, 847 ram, 1000 36" gong, 600 mini men, 325 4x8 plate.

Localish PRS guys show up to this because it is early in the year and higher level PRS has gotten so competitive that they switch barrels every winter and are checking their dope and equipment for the year.

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  18. bigfrank

bigfrank

Sounds like a cool shoot. they shoot something like that in Sacramento, about 140 miles from me. I have never been. I don't really have anything that is purpose built that shoots over 600 yards.

19. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

In case anyone cares; two guys tied for first, I ended up tied for third place.

Ronaldo, Beetle-Kill and bigfrank like this.
  20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT