In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The OFFICIAL Firewood Hoarder's Club thread!!!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Scotty Overkill, Oct 4, 2013.

1. ~smokey~

~smokey~

Thanks, it's the last of it's generation, 1988

2. Ontario Firewood Resource

Ontario Firewood Resource

89 was the last. My first 89 was painted blue/ purple, my second was original black/ silver like the one in the picture (I used to see this truck around, mint condition). Mine had a 2 inch body lift and extra 1 inch wider 31s with aftermarket Raleigh rims (white utility trailer or 73-87 Blazer rims) 4runner 1.jpg 4Runner 2.jpg 89.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Jack Straw and TrinitySouth99 like this.
  3. Ontario Firewood Resource

I wanted a lat 2000 Tacoma, but too much money all around: purchase, gas, parts. I pull a 17 ft. fish n ski so I needed the extra power. When Loading up for a long weekend or week at the cottage, I'd change one gear per highway exit to get up to speed :rofl: :lol:
    So....I ended up getting sickass 07 Tahoe LTZ, 4 inch lift, Bushwacker flares, WeatherTech mats, , rustproofed, stainless exhaust, found a double 12s plexi speaker box and installed Kenwood DVD deck and 12s with backup cam, bought Range AFM disabler (hwy use only). Better gas mileage than any Toyota truck, even though its 80 horse more than the Tacoma. I bought the most basic DVD deck and it comes with OBD@ display an 0-60, wuarter mile, even brake distance!

Attached Files:

TrinitySouth99 likes this.
  4. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

5. T. Harris

T. Harris

Hello all. Sorry to jump in to the convo but just recently got the rights to message so figured this was the best thread to start. My wife and I have been using a woodburner insert in our home for 3 years now and this year decided to start buying the toys necessary to cut our own firewood. Currently in the process of planning/building a wood shed that can hold around 5 or so cords. Any advice for someone diving into the deep end?

Jack Straw, JackHammer, Ohio and 2 others like this.
  6. Erik B

Erik B

Welcome to the site T. Harris . Look under the 'resource tab ' at the top and look for the primer by Backwoods Savage. A lot of good info there.
    Do you have access to wood to cut? Have you used things like a chainsaw before? You should get some training from those who know how to use chainsaws. They can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Jack Straw likes this.
  7. T. Harris

T. Harris

Thanks. I'll be sure to check out the resource tab. And yeah, I've used a chainsaw to cut through wood on our own property. We just decided to do it ourselves more often. I also have a friend who has plenty of wood from downed trees that he does not use so he's being nice enough to allow me to take it off his hands.

Jack Straw, JackHammer, Ohio and 2 others like this.
  8. Erik B

Erik B

T. Harris Glad to hear you are not a novice with this fun hobby. PPE's are something you should get to protect yourself, especially when running a chainsaw.
    What wood have you been burning and what wood to you have access to? Nice to see pics of your wood burner and the area you are planning on building a wood shed. Lots of guys have threads about their own shed building projects. The search function is your friend when it comes to helping you answer questions.

9. T. Harris

T. Harris

Yes, I am already planning on a solid pair of chaps. We have currently been burning through a.kix of walnut, mulberry and some oak. The stuff I will be cutting is a large amount of walnut. We have some pine but only use that for our outdoor firepit. I will throw some pictures up of everything prolly tomorrow. Planned on taking some progression pictures of the wood shed. I happened to find one thread for sheds and another for pellet smokers so I have been exploring lol.

10. Ontario Firewood Resource

Welcome to the forum T. Harris

mat60 and TrinitySouth99 like this.
  11. ~smokey~

~smokey~

I'm hoping to get my hands on some of this huge beast one of our local aborist is bringing down in the near future, just above the roots it measures 5 feet across and over 10 feet around ! good thing I have a winch and a crane.

$_59.jpg

WinonaRail, mat60, Jack Straw and 3 others like this.
  12. Eddie Hughes

Eddie Hughes

I only have an outdoor chiminea for recreational use and space is limited. I’m pretty sure if I had more space, I’d fill it with firewood :)

Attached Files:

13. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

The stash is running low, although the few chunks that an acquaintance delivered the other week is stacked off to the side.

The rest of the tree dad cut down (minus the small limbs which he's keeping for his firepit) is outside to dry.... which could be quite a while now. Been steady rain all week and looking much the same next week.

2021-04-10-17-27-20.jpg 2021-04-10-17-25-47.jpg

14. Ontario Firewood Resource

The emergency firewood hose in my building. Am I the only firewood guy here who lives in an apartment? :rofl: :lol:
    20210417_193329.jpg

15. IonicTick

IonicTick

New guy checking in!

I'm closing in on moving out of the Social Hoarder bucket. Just started this adventure a couple weeks ago. Now I have piles of wood all over my property that I've been going back through and splitting the rounds. No OWB currently but debating squeezing. New house has a basic fireplace that will likely be upgraded to an insert in the future. And one old chimney that needs some resto work.

Anyhow, great site! For someone new to the obsession the information is incredible. I now find myself picking up random rounds off the side of the even though I have more wood than I could ever imagine xD

main pile.jpg

side pile2.jpg

Also my log pile has grown quite a bit since this pic. Think I'm going to have a mill come in and make some boards out of a few logs.
    log pile.jpg

16. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Welcome to the FHC IonicTick :handshake: Great to have you join us. Looks like you have a great head start on your hoarding adventure. We love pics here and lots of them. Looking forward to seeing more of them!

18. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Welcome aboard.

Nice looking tools.

19. mat60

mat60

20. Midwinter

Midwinter

Hi IonicTick, you lucky fellow! You just happen to live just 2 hours from Chesaning, MI, the epicenter of firewood hoarding, and the home of Backwoods Savage!