In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The march to whatever 2020 brings

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Midwinter

Midwinter

Always be mindful of a wolf at the door...
    cbc54285dd81117a5adf677db256e450.200x295x1.gif

2. Rich L

Rich L

Now that's a hell of a picture and so true.
    Gee I didn't realize you sold the wood .I thought this was your private stash for home use.I was about to ask what stove you are burning in.Anywho we all need to be prepared for the heavy winters coming our way.

3. jrider

jrider

Sold 180 cords last year

4. billb3

billb3

It's not just snow/ice totals, two or three years ago we had three nasty storms where wind blew over a lot of trees (I'm still cutting some) . Snow and/or wind can knock out power for enough days. Everyone really should have several days of power out supplies. (not just bread and milk, although the bread and milk suppliers might disagree) They won't as long as it is acceptable to bitch and moan about inconvenience.

5. Rich L

Rich L

Ya I remember the storm of 78.Me and a friend were selling firewood and never kept up with the weather.We'd be splitting would in -5 degree weather so cold didn't bother us.After delivering some cord wood I went to visit family in Boston before the storm and they said we were supposed to get the storm of the century which I hadn't heard about.Since I came from a camping out family I said let's hit the market right now.We went to the market and there were hardly any folks in the market.We stock up on every thing for two weeks.The storm hit and the stores ran out of food and we were eating like Kings and Queens.I was happy that I learned to be prepared as a child.

6. jrider

jrider

My main log supplier was running out of room and was slow this week so he dropped off 7 loads of all oak.

Attached Files:

7. jrider

jrider

It’s been a while since I’ve posted in here but plenty of logs have come in. I spent some time a few weeks ago and again today stacking up logs with the tractor to make more room. Also been busy making more splits.

Attached Files:

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice, brother...we are trying to get a load or 3...

9. jrider

jrider

Been working quite a bit this week. I don’t like having multiple piles going at one time but the way the logs came in this year it just happened. I have 3 oak piles going that total 90’ in length and 1 mixed pile that’s 20’ long.

Attached Files:

10. Midwinter

Midwinter

Your march to whatever is well on its way! Do you have to teach remotely? Extra time to make firewood?

11. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I understand having an oak and a mixed pile, why 3 oak rows at once? Just curious. Great job, by the way

12. jrider

jrider

Yes, teaching remotely and yes there’s more time in my day especially without having to get kids off the bus and to sports.

13. jrider

jrider

My log guy got a wood processor this winter and was dropping off processed wood but much of it needed to be resplit plus I have to chuck it up high into my windrows. He dropped off loads faster than I could get to them so they were dropped all over the place. It makes more sense to have multiple piles than to move pieces all over the place .

14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Gotcha. I remember you saying he had gotten a processor, didn't know he was bringing some of that wood to ya. Good deal.

15. jrider

jrider

I have filled the gap between my done piles and the splits that were dropped off. Now it’s time to turn the short piles into my high pile. Just have to resplit the bigger splits and toss the smaller ones into my done pile

Attached Files:

16. jrider

jrider

The main oak pile I’m concentrating on at the moment is up to 50 feet long. Need more blue sky days like today.

Attached Files:

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Are you saving any for the Summer marathon or is this corona marathon taking its place? How nice is the wood coming from his processor jrider ? Length okay? Quality splits etc?

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Always look forward to this!

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Looks good. Glad you are having some good weather up there.

jrider, Chazsbetterhalf and Midwinter like this.
  20. jrider

jrider

I will work on firewood until I run out of logs which I hope never happens btw. Got 7 deliveries when he first got the processor and haven’t had any since. The length is perfect. The size splits are big which I knew. Probably averaging 60-70% needing to be split again.