In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The march to 150

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Apr 21, 2019.

1. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Just change the name of the thread to “the March to 250” and give yourself another year to do it.... near term pressure would be off and you’d have an even loftier goal to reach in the longer term!!! Get well!!

2. jrider

jrider

2E71BCAA-780A-4278-A864-9C3D36B0CF9F.jpeg 4D44A6BC-C1EE-438A-A405-97E458D41C7D.jpeg My guys were basically out of rounds to split so after making a few calls and coming up empty, I decided to teach my most competent 18yo how to run a saw today. He told me had had done a little limboing at home so I figured I would start him under close supervision on my Stihl ms260. It’s painful watching someone struggle as they learn something you can easily do. After 2 hours he was pretty beat and I didn’t want to push him to exhaustion because as we all know, that’s when accidents happen. He was able to get enough cut so I can have a couple guys split in the morning tomorrow.
    The cherry pile is almost done and man I just love the smell as I walk past. It’s amazing how fast it turns color in full sun.

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

I'll bet he develops a taste for chainsawing!

4. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Gorgeous pile of beautiful uniform wood! Looks like hot work in this pressure cooker weather we have lately.

5. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Your time and efforts are an investment in your future productivity and his safety and well being. Painful, but it’ll be worth it.

6. jo191145

jo191145

Wow! Havent checked in on your progress in awhile jrider. Sorry to hear about the appendectomy.
    I understand your young and healthy but take it easy. I know your chomping at the bit.
    Used and abused my body in my youth and I’m paying for it now. It’s not worth it. Go slow.

7. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

What he said.:yes:

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Beautiful wood. Keep working with him, he'll get the hang of it. He needs to learn from someone experienced. Glad he was able to help some.

9. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Wow! Congratulations on making someone with 15 cords feeling inadequate. I gotta go now, I need to cut some more wood.:rofl: :lol: You got my vote for hoarder of the decade jrider !:thumbs:

10. jrider

jrider

It is hot work but being a teacher, summer is my main cutting/splitting season.

11. jrider

jrider

I’m listening to the the doctor...so far. I go back next Wednesday for a follow up. That will be the 2 week mark. Now that I’m feeling better I am getting itchy but I was good yesterday- I didn’t pick up the saw at all and just guided and mentored my worker. I’m meeting up with him in less than 30 minutes for round 2.

12. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Hey jrider incidentally I noticed the stack of cherry next to another stack of what could be walnut or ash. This may just be coincidental that these piles were made up of individual varieties, but do you stack your piles keeping like species together for sale purposes, or do you keep it mixed?

13. jrider

jrider

The little bit of the other pile is oak, not one of my main oak piles but longs. I mark logs to be cut at 16” and if there’s much more than 18”-19” left, it goes into a separate pile after it gets split. I have a few customers with larger fireplaces that like the longer splits.

14. jrider

jrider

D17C3A29-6DC3-4B23-82EA-836DA8CDEAB2.jpeg F2906D15-FC34-4287-95FA-9C19235D49D8.jpeg A6BF25FB-A46B-4345-90B6-47C7E9BABC65.jpeg My worker felt much more comfortable with the saw today and really did a nice job for his second day running a saw. Here’s a couple pics of what he cut between yesterday and today as well as the current pile of oak splits we’re making.

15. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Treat that worker well! It's hard to find good help today that take pride in their work and strive to improve at it.

I see that the oak I thought might be ash was a bit faded next to the newly split vibrant cherry. I get what you're saying, you are more concerned with matching lengths than matching tree species. I do that too for my one stove which can take up to 21 inches if I diagonal haha.

I have many little covered shelters that I have designed to custom fit into any available space on my postage stamp property. One shelter can fit three rows of 12 to 14 inch lengths, another can take 2 rows of 16", the rest are single stack racks that can take 18" and I have one for the long ones that go to 21"...It all depends on what I scrounge. If my choice I always cut aiming for 16 ", but If I find a 21" log then I most likely will split it as is or I can cut cookie off end for a 16 and throw the cookie in my stack of uglies. Many times I find odd cuts like 12 or 14 inch logs or I may find a 26" that I have to cut in half so then these are destined for my 3 row shelter.

All in all I am limited to 4 cords that my property can accommodate or you know I would be working towards 150 cords just like you :whistle: well....maybe not :rolleyes:

16. Midwinter

Midwinter

What's amazing is, he doesn't get to 100+ cords and then rests on his laurels. He does it every single summer!

17. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

"OCD-WHK" .....Obsessive Compulsive Disorder of the Wood-Hoarders Kind. There's a lot of that going around on this site, but it's the best of all mental illnesses if you have to choose one:thumbs::dex: :rofl: :lol:

18. jrider

jrider

Sorry, after reading your response, I realized I didn’t fully answer your question. All oak is always separated. If I have much wood that’s more desirable such as cherry, hickory, or black locust it is separated. Some years I get enough to keep separate some years I don’t. All other hardwoods go into my mixed hardwood pile. This year I will have all oak, all cherry, all locust, and mixed hardwood. Each year I also have “longs” as described before and “shorts” as well.

19. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

You are the wood splitting machine! Sorry about the appendix, but you got to it in time! My school insurance is terrible, hope that isn't the case for you. Your workers are to be commended also. Good on all of you. My first day of school is August 2nd, when is yours?

20. jrider

jrider

Our insurance is really good. Our copays are low and we don’t have to go through hoops to see a doctor.
    We don’t start back until the day after Labor Day but we also don’t generally get out until around June 15-20.