In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Fireview Soapstone Wood Stove

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Nordic Splitter, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

• Penetrating soapstone warmth
    • Handmade for 25 years in New Hampshire
    • Detailed iron castings and thick double walls of soapstone
    • Heat up to 1600 square feet
    • Burns up to 12 hours
    • Crystal clear fire-viewing. Unique “airwash” keeps window free of soot and ash.
    • Protects against power outages - no electricity required
    • Detailed ornamental iron castings available in 5 colors - matte black, charcoal, and metallic gray, blue, or brown
    • Factory-direct prices:On Sale Now for $3150

DIMENSIONS & SPECIFICATIONS

Dimensions HxWxD: 28"x26"x20"
    Firebox Size: 2.18 Cu.ft.
    Weight: 485 lbs.
    Burn Time: 10-12 hrs
    Area Heated: 900 to 1,600 sq.ft.
    BTU Output: 7,606-46,460/hr (per EPA tests)
    EPA Efficiency (HHV): 77.7%
    EPA Efficiency (LHV): 83.6%
    EPA 2020 Emissions: 1.12 gm/hr
    EPA 2020 Certified: Yes
    Flue Exit: Rear vent only
    Flue Size: 6"
    Draft Control: Manual
    Flue Height to Center: 22.75"
    Catalytic Combustor: Standard
    Wood Length: 16"
    Loading Door: Right Side Standard
    Back Clearance (no protection): 30"
    Back Clearance (w/ rear heat shield): 18"
    Corner Clearance (no protection): 18"
    Corner Clearance (w/ rear heat shield):12"
    Mobile Home Approved

My only problem with this model is there is NO ASH PAN!!!...Am I being to picky??

Attached Files:

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

No ash pan; no problem. This is the first stove we've had with no ash pan and it turned out that it is absolutely no problem at all. Very simple. I just let the coals burn down a bit then using just the poker, slide the remaning coals to the front or to the back. Scoop out ash, then slide coals the other way and scoop out the rest of the ash. Be sure to leave some ash in the stove though. It really is super easy.

One of these ash holders work extremely well as it fits under the firebox door nicely so you don't loose any ashes.
    Ash holder.jpg
    Good luck.

btw, we have burned our Fireview for 14 winters now and love it. One of the best things about it is we cut our wood use in half or better. Also with the radiant heat this thing gives we no longer use a fan except for the ceiling fan on low.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'm not an ash pan user either...on the Drolet Tundra furnace I had, the pan had never once had ashes in it when I sold that unit...and the stove I had in the fireplace had a pan that I never used either...well, I stored my fire lighting materials in it on the closet floor! :rofl: :lol:
    To me the ash pans are a pain to use on many stoves...'til you screw around removing the plug, chasing ashes down the little hole, then getting the plug back in correctly, its easier to just scoop ashes directly from the firebox into a covered ash bucket every few days. (no idea if the FV has an ash plug arrangement like what I mentioned)
    The other thing I noticed was the ashes tend to be much more dense when left in the stove for longer like this too...much more fluffy and voluminous and if removed every day...stove works better with an inch or two ashes left in it anyways...

Farmchuck and Ohio like this.
  5. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I love having an ash pan. My Vermont casting had a ash pan and my Progress hybrid does also. In my opinion when I have to shovel out ash and move coals around it creates more dust. I try to be gentle but when I shovel ashes out of the T6 I see dust flying around.
    Woodstock makes a great stove. Would the Absolute stove work for you instead?

Farmchuck and brenndatomu like this.
  6. Ohio

Ohio

I switched from a morso stove after 3 years to a fireview stove. My wife was apprehensive at first because there is no ash pan. If the stove does not work out for you Woodstock has a six month money back guarantee. I highly doubt you will want to return the stove. In the coldest part of winter the fire box only needed emptied once every five or so days.

The fireview made our house warmer for longer, it only needs loaded twice a day. We used the same amount of wood but our house used to be 72 in the stove room and now it can be upwards of 80 degrees if I get carried away. I spend much less time fussing with the stove than I did before. The pros far outweigh the cons. I am absolutely satisfied with the fireview and plan on keeping it a long time.

Farmchuck and brenndatomu like this.
  7. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Dennis...Thanks for the post..I have a few questions.....How hard is it cleaning the glass? Does the front door open??? Tell me about the air controls as well...Thanks

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

You have to let the stove cool a lot before cleaning glass then just reach an arm in and clean. No front door. The lid does open as it has to in order to clean the cat (which is extremely easy to do and only takes 2 or 3 minutes) and to change gaskets.

There is a control for the bypass. It is either up (cat engaged) or down (bypass). Air control goes from 0 to 4. When cat is engaged we usually set from 1/2 to 3/4 of way between 0 and 1. Of course this can be a bit different with each install and can change according to the weather. For example, in winter if extremely cold you might open the draft a little to keep good flame going to get more heat but the change is very slight. On the other hand, if the weather is warmer and especially if raining you need a bit more draft as the chimney does not draw as well but these conditions are with any stove.

9. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

I've been a FireView user for 10+ years now as well. During peak burning season, I scoop the ashes out of the front half of the firebox maybe every 5 days or so. The air for combustion enters the front of the stove, so the coals burn up the most in front, and there are generally some coals in back to push forward, and I just put more wood on the coals. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I've never had a wood stove with an ash pan to compare it to.

Personally, it feels a bit safer to scoop the ashes into a bucket, rather than handling a (probably) hot ash tray.

Backwoods Savage likes this.