In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Car Hoarding thread

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Deadwood, Oct 12, 2017.

1. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

i stopped by to get another load today and the home owner said it was too loud for a Sunday. Technically it is on county land there, but I don’t want to pick a fight. So I’ll stop by tomorrow at 5:35pm and sees what he says. There is no way the county will let it sit until next weekend. He’s like “you were able to get some wood right?” I was getting some of the junkier stuff out of the way.. I guess I made the mistake of saving the best for last. I have another load of locust to pick up in the neighborhood, but I was hoping to for some more maple to fill in the winter of ‘23 spot in my hoard.

Chazsbetterhalf and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  2. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Everything I get is a yard tree, but some are worse than others, and red maple is usually pretty bad for whatever reason. This one was some work, but still hoping to get some more.

3. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I scored another load of red maple. The cuttin go went ok, though I am no expert, I wasted to run a tank through each of my saws, freshly sharpened, so I started w the ryobi, which was curving a bit away from me. The Echo 45cc with the 22” bar and the skip chain, however was cutting nice and straight. It ended up with a few extra cuts but I got most of that big trunk.

splitting however, was a bear. Maybe I need to sharpen the fiskars? Or maybe I was spoiled by the straight locust and easy splitting red oak. There was no way I was going to quarter these. I had to work the edges and was running out of time so I lugged a couple big hunks in.

I didn’t get it all, but I can’t call it a missed opportunity either. Sorry no shots of the cuts. 66CFA52D-F271-4ED3-B6D7-7F9E5CED281B.jpeg

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Wait :jaw::bug:

lot of bar for 45cc

5. Wolley

Wolley

That curly red maple can be a bugger to split.

6. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Methinks you should pull a splitter behind the car! Red maple won't put up much of a fight.

7. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Total maple score “staged” up at home.. 5D5B1186-9188-49E8-860B-BBF629588B2F.jpeg F892B590-DD85-41BA-B84E-0931E9C3645F.jpeg

I got a full skip chain for it. It’s working pretty well.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Looking good there sir. I have full skip for a couple of the longer bars. Less to sharpen which is nice on a 36" bar for sure.

9. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I double checked and it looks like I have a 20” full skip. I think some members on here talked me out of going any bigger.

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Size of a “bar” could be important o_O:whistle:

keep on hoarding :handshake:

11. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I wrapped up the ‘ye old locust score from across the neighborhood, yesterday. 36C50118-9094-4BC9-8E7E-616FEEBC12C7.jpeg 9DA80E3F-A1E5-4107-8621-B1C83EF000C3.jpeg B5614626-093B-4735-8B50-A45F70AF6D69.jpeg

12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

FREE WOOD! :woodsign: WOOHOO! :banana: My SOP around here. Any pics Gary?

Thanks for reviving this thread. I thought of it the other day. Does Midwinter hoard anymore?

14. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I'd been eyeing a reasonable stack of fresh cut rounds next to the road for over a week. Stopped and knocked on the front door, nobody was home. I haven't seen any cars there so I stopped at lunch yesterday and helped myself to a little load. I'll probably go back today for more.[​IMG]

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

15. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I don't get lots of opportunities to scrounge but this was too easy. Already cut, some even split. I literally backed up within 3 feet and loaded into the van. My kind of score!

16. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I picked up a similar size load today. It will all be split and stacked this weekend. There's still more there. What's left is either cut longer, which I'll have to cut to length, or small limb wood Which burns but I don't like to put much of that in my roadside stand). I believe Midwinter still scrounges occsaionally but I should let her answer that. I saw that she was taking some of her hoard to a neighbor.

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

Hi Brad! Yes, I still scrounge wood, but I've only scored at the dump this year. Craigslist free wood has totally dried up, except for pine. If there is an offer, it's in MA which is too far for me to drive.
    But, over the spring and summer, I've managed to almost replace a winter's worth of wood. I've scrounged a lot of white birch, a half cord of poplar, a third of a cord ash, a lot of sugar and red maple, and a little oak.
    I'd like to find another largish score. I am all caught up on splitting, something that hasn't happened since I've been hoarding!

18. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I had to deliver some parts to one of my techs house the other day. He lives back against the highway across from Bishop Guertin. I drove past your house on my way home, and was surprised to see there wasnt much of anything out front!

Where were you finding sugar around here? All I see is soft maples.

19. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

It put the soft in soft maple in my trunk:

pretty easy score w some neighbors on my block. A couple loads left for me

Attached Files:

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

woohoo! :dancer: The car hoarding thread is not dead. Great resurrection MFP! Some nice wood there.
    Gpo get the rest ASAP...no round left behind!