In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Car Hoarding thread

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Deadwood, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Midwinter

Midwinter

Great load today! Do you think it's all from the storm? Are you going back tomorrow? I went to my dump today, just a couple of boxelder logs, which I passed on. I did get some dry elm yesterday. IMG_20200805_37100.jpg

2. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Hey Cash Larue nice to see you here! Maybe I CAN make donut's in my pizza oven???:D

3. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Ha ha. Mmmmmm... Donuts.....

4. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Oh Yes definitely all from storm, the dump is a mess of foliage with trucks coming in like clock work to unload mostly tree top refuse, but huge trees are down all over town, but like I said its spotty. Yesterday we had two 90 mile per hour squalls in the middle of the storm that lasted about 60 seconds a piece. I thought my neighbors huge oak (5 1/2ft diameter base and 60 ft tall) was going to crash down on my porch. I was out trying to save things on my proch from flying like lamps and furniture when this cyclone came and I heard the tree moaning and those deep cracking sounds one hears before yelling "Timber!", but luckily it held and a only couple 4 inch diameter 15ft length branches broke off and blew down the street at 20 mph. It was scary and if it wasn't for the fact that there wasn't too much rain and the bursts only lasted 1 minute each I would be dealing with a torn off porch and broken windows. I live in a small enclave of homes dividing the center of a golf course so that is where wind had a chance to gain hold on the landscape and do damage. The vast majority of the storm was 65 to 75 mph winds.

I will be going again tomorrow to the dump...Oh and your elm looks perfect like its ready to burn! Wanna trade?

5. Midwinter

Midwinter

Wow, I'm glad that oak didn't come crashing down!

6. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Yeah, not worth the convenient firewood delivery haha

7. Midwinter

Midwinter

You would have felt obligated to hoard it, then it would take up space for three years!

8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Not too bad. Neighbor across the street had an Ash branch come down in the wind storm

IMG_20200806_081001735.jpg IMG_20200806_081013399.jpg IMG_20200806_081417965.jpg IMG_20200806_082431475.jpg

He had the top brush cut off and out of the way. I cut most of it, two splits long.

I'm thinking, 4-5 days of heat. Maybe 6.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  9. Midwinter

Midwinter

Urban Woods and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  10. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've got a 10ft rack of red oak rounds. 2-3 ft across. 3-4 rounds high. That'll keep me busy as racks empty out. They are from that free tree service delivery, a couple of months ago.

11. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Hey guys just a little tour of the carnage to the just the park entrance area by my house. I took some wood from there today because I was hungry for oak and somehow oak never makes it to the dump. As you know chainsaw use is limited and so many workers and sheriff vehicles around so just carted small 5" dia. branches to my car and if I needed to make a cut I did it right up close to back hatch. I also went to the dump and got another scrounge of mix small wood that I didn't bother to photo. There were bigger branches, but it was bradley pear and Im not a fan of having to split too much bradley, plus it takes forever to dry and I don't have the space to store annoying wood.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Something you dont see often..Toad stools growing inside tree hollow
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And the first of my take away loads. I will be out of town for two days, but guy at the dump said there is still stuff coming in for another week he thinks. This will all be next seasons wood except for oak which will be the season after that. Sorry, I don't do the three year thing...2 years is all I have room for and if not fully dry I can always mix with dry 2x4 construction studs.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Midwinter

Midwinter

That toadstool tree was ripe to fall! I'm sure the bonanza will last a week or two. Very nice load out of the park there.

Chazsbetterhalf and Urban Woods like this.
  13. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

2 years?

Just stack higher and higher. To the moon I say!

14. Midwinter

Midwinter

Found a little red cedar and yellow birch at the dump this morning. Neither are my favorite to split. Guess I'll try the birch now, while it's green. If it's horrible I'll save it for freezing temps. IMG_20200808_5515.jpg

15. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Looks like Birch likes to drive shotgun and you had a little driving companion for the ride home haha. I don't imagine it will be too much hassle to split.

Chazsbetterhalf and Midwinter like this.
  16. Midwinter

Midwinter

It wasn't. Note to self, split yellow birch when it's green. Also it was nice and straight, which helped.

Chazsbetterhalf and Urban Woods like this.
  17. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

So I got back last night from my upstate NY excursion in which I brought home a small load of newly felled heavy wet maple 6"diameter by 15 ft tree from a cleared construction site. That was in my Acura so can only take so much and didn't bother with photos, but this load was from my drive around today visiting my favorite riverside park spot for fallen ready to burn sycamore branches. There was a lot down, but mostly small twiggy green branches with leaves. I managed to score about 3 - 12 ft lengths this dry stuff you see cut up in crate and bottom hatch. I really need dry stuff for the upcoming shoulder wood season. My yard is filling up with all kinds of heavy green wood which im not complaining, but that's for next year. The work is in dragging the full branches 300 yards to the car before I can cut them up in safety from public eyes. So its a bit of cardio at least.

The greenish wood you see is from a big fallen mulberry crown section was on the part of the park that boarders a veterinarian clinic. It was on a burm separating the roadway from their parking lot. It was a gamble to cut there, but it was Sunday and the place looked empty plus I knew I could be quick and so started cutting away the larger base stem sections. (Btw what a pleasure cutting the softer green wood. I put my saws through hell always cutting hard dry wood and the teeth just dont dig in like with green wood. I've all but given up now cutting dry black locust unless small diameters... Its just hell on these small cordless saws and will destroy a blade in no time!)

Anyway Mulberry cutting is going beautifully when wouldn't you know it a car pulls up from the other side of the circular driveway entrance. It looks like the clinic owner. She gets out the car and so I instinctively put down the saw. She then takes a few steps toward me and stops. I'm like ...ok lets hear it...You know the old "Sir can I help you? You cant be cutting that here on this property". Then surprisingly she smiles and gives me a thumbs up and her husband comes out the car smiling also. You know its a shame, but unfortunately that reaction is rare here even though I'm usually helping people by cleaning up for them. I get it though, it's a litigious world and everyone is worried about being sued especially in these rural parts. If they only knew I was a member of this FHC site they would understand that this automatically makes me a professional :saw::whistle:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Midwinter

Midwinter

I think after a big storm, people get more accustomed and comfortable seeing and hearing chainsaws. Less of a deranged madman stigma, and more of a helpful cleaner upper profile. Plus, any property owner has to figure out how to hire someone to remove debris. You are certainly doing them a favor. Nice dry sycamore!

19. Rich L

Rich L

That dry Elm is going to burn like nobody's business.Someone called it a dangerous wood because it burns so hot.I love it though.

20. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

I wouldn't call it dangerous, but elm burns gloriously hot and is one of my favorites for often being found dead and ready to burn. You don't want to be splitting too much of it though, some elm can be impossible to split. Now I would say Black Locust qualifies as dangerous.

Molly did you try splitting any of your latest elm score? Just curious if it was the kind of elm that makes you wish you had a gas fireplace and a wall switch.

Rich L and Chazsbetterhalf like this.