In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Car Hoarding thread

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Deadwood, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Maybe you can find some good wood to make some "fat wood" buZZsaw BRAD ?

Mwalsh9152 I remember in the late 70s -early 80s that dunkin donuts used to be pretty good and donuts were twice the size! A Then again so was Entemann's and the chocolate coating was crisp, not like nowadays where you need to refrigerate them, then you're eating a cold damp doughnut (sort of Like todays dump photos from Midwinter). We even stopped going to our traditional New York bakery for donuts because we thought dunkin was as good or better for cheaper. Then the donuts started to shrink like everything else we buy today and they got stingy with fillings and they started tasty greasy and stale. I think its because they switched from lard to hydrogenated oils in the mid to late 80s. This has effected Entemann's and other commercial doughnut makers.
    Also you never had to refrigerate a Reeses peanut butter cup when I was a kid, they would snap in your mouth at room temperature. So it has effected candy as well and if you ask me snickers don't taste heavenly like they used to and its not just because I have an older pallet. The now mushy chocolate coating is noticeably thinner as well.
    Thats ok though cause Dunkin still has excellent coffee right?? NO, unfortunately I noticed that in the last decade their coffee now tastes like s#!@t. I started calling it a coffee- like product, because it doesn't taste like coffee to anyone who also drinks other coffees. Only to people who faithfully drink Dunkin and had their taste buds adjust over time will still claim its pretty good. I now go to Dunkin only in extreme emergencies and support my local bakeries. Not Starbucks either.

:Yar: Let me get back on topic and off my rant about global declining quality:mad:

Molly, wood chips open up whole new hoarding opportunities for you!!! :DWe don't even get wood chips at my dump, just recycle bag mountains of crap

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was a religious dunkin coffee drinker for YEARS. It was a daily trip to get a "Great One" XL French Vanilla which lasted the day. I noticed the quality going down, flavor was a "chemical blast" of syrup. Price went up so i finally stopped cold turkey. 3-4 years ago. Their coffee rolls are good though. Actually gave away a couple Dunkin gift cards too. I miss my daily cup and Cumberland Farms .99c one size fits all coffee does it for me. Even then its few and far between. They have light cream too!
    Tried Starbucks twice and never again. Even if someone else paid.

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

I make coffee at home in the AM, but I never buy it out. I use these instead: IMG_20191112_17107.jpg
    They are mail order only, except one time I saw them for sale in a NY State Thruway rest stop.
    As far as donuts go, my grandson and I prefer these: IMG_20191112_23176.jpg

4. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Yes Molly, better to stay with the powder coated types today. Thanks for the suggestion on the edible coffee bars. If this is where you're getting your energy, I might be cautious about trying these out. I don't want to work as hard as you!:hair::tree:

And yes buZZsaw BRAD everything you said! Sounds like we were both on the same path to enlightenment :handshake: Well we are about the same age so I'm sure we experienced many similar things at about the same time.....Like saturday afternoon commercials and K-Tel's 20 greatest hits! Haha!

5. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Dunkin use to make onsite. Now they're shipped from a factory. Factory food not as good as fresh made

6. billb3

billb3

Add some perlite, some sewer sludge for nutrients and that will be the $15 premium bag of Miracle-gro potting soil in the Spring.

7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I don't go to Starbucks either, don't really like Dunkin Donuts. We have Krispy Kreme Donuts down here, made on the line in the store, melt in yo mouth good...
    I better hush or I'll be drivin' 30 miles when I get off work.

8. Marshel54

Marshel54

I am a tea drinker so I really don't know what your fancy coffeeshops are serving up. As far as doughnuts these are my hands down favorite.
    80[1].jpg
    Lerch's. They are very local. There are a couple of people on here that I know have had them.
    Maybe I will have to go up home and get a couple or 4 dozen for the next gtg I attend.
    They do tend to be a little pricey for what they are, but oh so good.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  9. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Nice Marshel54 ! Those boxes and even the name look old school.

T.Jeff Veal I went to Krispy Creme once here while on a lunch break in Jersey City. Walked in just to check the place out because I wanted to see what the buzz was about. I wasn't going to buy anything, but was surprised when the girl at the counter offered me a free doughnut and I think she said that I could get a free one every day if I wanted with some sort of app? Im a Boomer and not very techie with my life so I don't really do the "app" lifestyle so well.
    Anyway, on to the doughnut. All I remember is the darn thing evaporated in my mouth! Delicious, but I would have needed 3 doughnuts just for it to register that I even ate anything. It was like eating a puff of doughnut flavored air! A dangerous place for me and so I have been avoiding it out of fear.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  10. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

IMG_20191109_161206949.jpg

Brought some Oak back home for the colder nights.

11. Midwinter

Midwinter

Barkless, I bet it's dry!

12. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Yeah, it caught a little rain so i parked it beside the stove for a few days - burns like supposed to :D

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Every time I go by the store and the Donut sign is lit up, I say thats the devil store. Have to fight the steering wheel.

14. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

B7E47F14-680C-40A1-951F-0A80D338F6B4.jpeg I guess my back is feeling better. Might as well load up the bearings before I have to buy new ones.

15. Midwinter

Midwinter

Those were nice-sized logs! Is there more?

16. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

There are more, but smaller branches and the big trunk. I hadn’t split green before.. pretty easy going, so as long as the bar length can hack it, I’m pretty sure I can hack the rounds.

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

Oooh, the big trunk!

18. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

40A12469-6271-42DA-8F4D-8EDCD13AA7BE.jpeg D7E1A0D8-94FA-4A25-8885-FF8FD95E2B38.jpeg
    I started with the “sticks” but tomorrow, big trunk it is. (Blurry picture, but 16” bar about 30’ from the base.)

19. Midwinter

Midwinter

Before work? Bring some wedges and a sledge if you have them. Cut a kerf, and wedge them in halves or quarters. That is a monster.

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Very nice! Was this the wood from your post yesterday?