In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The big push

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by RCBS, Feb 6, 2023.

1. RCBS

RCBS

Some of you may remember me around a few years back. Have been in & out here and there since. In 2019 I had some health issues. (no, not that) In 2020 I had some more. (no, still not that) Then in winter of 2021 I had some more yet! (nope) Long stories, but am fully recovered ( I think? ) and prowling the woods with enthusiasm once again. I tend to at least minimally document my adventures and want to share with people who will appreciate them. Join me as I go back to the Fall of 2021 and climb back on that bicycle.

Please bear with me as I compile and edit the posts...LOTS of pics inbound....possibly.

Someone tell me that HDR android phone pics are allowed here? Not able to get them posted.

2. RCBS

RCBS

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

If you try and upload a pic that is too large, you can get some kind of security error message. Other than that, doesn't matter what took the pic.

Chaz, Horkn, amateur cutter and 6 others like this.
  4. RCBS

RCBS

Well, I must have a phone full of large pics. I have no idea how to unlarge them all.

Would one of the mods please send this thread to Davey Jones locker? I can upload these photos on other sites BTW.

Chaz, Horkn, amateur cutter and 7 others like this.
  5. RCBS

RCBS

Belay that order! Might take me a bit, but I think I have a solution.

Chaz, Horkn, Cash Larue and 9 others like this.
  6. Warner

Warner

Did you ever figure out who split with your splits?

7. RCBS

RCBS

Not sure what the problem is. Found some compression thingyjobber. Gonna make it rough to sort them though.

8. RCBS

RCBS

I have my suspicions. Another long story...the short of it...that fellow is nowhere around now. I have also taken 'security measures'. By that I mean a large portion of the stacks are now drying in the woods, where someone will really really really really have to want to take it...to take it. lol

9. RCBS

RCBS

OK here goes....a humble beginning. I had been halfheartedly making wood during my issues but my desire and capability were seriously diminished. Kept the stove fed throughout but also hit the lowest inventory level in probably 15 years. I missed the very first part of the first tree being wrangled. Had one go down on edge of a highwall and the gnarly looking one was a dead stander for a long time. The trunk of the highwall tree was left where it was due to worries of the buttlog deciding to jump...I need no part of that. And yes, I absolutely measure my wood these days.

wood1.jpg

IMG_20210911_140141262_HDR.jpg

jo191145, Stephiedoll, Chaz and 19 others like this.
  10. RCBS

RCBS

IMG_20211016_123330767_HDR.jpg This one whooped me and the Fiskars maul. Getting it worked up.

IMG_20211016_125407070_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211016_125013778_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211113_135009363_HDR.jpg

to be continued...

jo191145, Chaz, RichE23ACR and 27 others like this.
  11. billb3

billb3

I usually have better luck splitting between the knots. Not always. Usually.
    I've aimed straight for 'em too with some success. Not a lot.

jo191145, Stephiedoll, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    jo191145, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 12 others like this.
  13. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Welcome back RCBS...Hope your health continues to improve! I remember you and I think I always enjoyed your posts!

14. Screwloose

Screwloose

Glad your health is improved! Firewooding is therapeutic

Chaz, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 9 others like this.
  15. Bill2

Bill2

welcome back. Hoard on!

Chaz, Horkn, amateur cutter and 6 others like this.
  16. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Welcome back.

I get it about health issues.

Chaz, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  17. Dok440

Dok440

Beautiful woods you have there. Glad you are back to making firewood!

18. DNH

DNH

Welcome back, remember the screen name well. Used lots of those dies over the years, like Hornady a little better currently.

Chaz, Horkn, amateur cutter and 8 others like this.
  19. RCBS

RCBS

Thanks for the re-welcome everyone. I'll summarize my particular health issues... 2019/2020 bad stomach/bowel issues. Thought I had bad diverticulitus. Every test under the sun ran...changing diet to accomodate is only relief. Health pretty diminished overall. Forwards to summer 2021. Had spent a normal day mowing grass and then mounted a skid plate under my buggy. Later that day as I was leaving a buddy's place where I had been visiting I passed out or fainted. Not a big deal. Welp, yeah it is. Subdural hematoma from smacking my melon on the concrete floor when I went down. 2 days unconscious with 24 hour monitoring. Ended up not needing to drill a hole in my head to let the pressure off. Severe concussion. Foggy with slurred speech for a couple weeks. Still fighting the stomach and bowel throughout. February 2022. I think my bowel is rupturing after 4 days of agony on and off. Go to Emergency a broken man. Morphine inefective. Then they gave me ?Tordal tammerill or something which worked a bit. Scan comes back. Bowel inflammed but no rupture (colitus). 7mm stone in my ureter...er the one attached to kidney. lol They give me flowmax and leave me for a while. Come back "you can stay for another day in observation if you like". So I left. Made appt with Primary. Do some testing. Find out I have at least two bad infections from the stone. Pain had subsided but was still lingering a few days after the ER visit. Have an x-ray a week later and they tell me the stone is gone. Well...news to me.

Reverse engineered to figure that I had actually passed the stone in the lobby restroom of the hospital on my way out. The stuff they had me on let it be expelled without notice at all on my part. I know it seems crazy....but it happened. I refused to believe the xray result as I was still having pain in my kidney and surrounding areas. So I made them do another CAT and yep, stone gone. Meet with urologist who informs me I can bring dairy back into my life! We talk diet a bit and prevention and whatnot. This is spring of 22. Did 48 hour urine sample testing. Results good. Doctor "Keep doing what you're doing and you'll never have a stone again." That be the plan. Primary subscribes me a bunch of antibiotics during this and the infections go away. Nope. Infection in prostate persists. Primary gives me a 'stonger' anti. About a week later I began to feel completely good again...after 3 years.

A pat on the back note for me...I gave up a pack a day for 21 years habit and dropped 45lbs during all this.

What I learned: A kidney stone can disrupt your entire body function via infection. Accomodating an angry digestive tract with certain foods will increase the size of a stone. My local hospital cannot deal with a severe head injury and will ship you elsewhere. TALK to your providers. Try to make them laugh. Until you break through...you are just a name on a paper to them. Make sure they know you are indeed a human being. My pain tolerance is really high. Most of all....Food is Health. It's true. You are what you eat.

20. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Well shoot, glad to hear things are on the up and up. I can't imagine going through all that, especially during a time when some places prohibited outside visitors. :yes: Huge props for quitting the cig habit. Your lungs thank you I'm sure!

Chaz, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 11 others like this.